News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FSCloud and PSX?

Started by Zapp, Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:24

Zapp

Hi all, there is this nice program (see http://fscloud.net/) that offers connectivity and voice communications in a simulated environment, is aware of runway positioning and tracks nearby aircraft. It is free, and has a modular architecture that is being exploited to produce various itnerfaces to virtual airlines, human ATC and so on.
Currently, it works with FSX, P3D2 and X-plane, so I thought this could be a good chance to build a native PSX interface to this network for those of us who do not want to stack several pieces of software one on top of the other in order to connect to the most popular ATC networks.

I had a nice chat with the creator of this network, and he would be quite happy to write the PSX interface, except he cannot afford to buy PSX (his project is no-profit).

So I was thinking maybe one of our addon programmers could take a look: there is a well documented C# API and as I said the creator is happy to give a hand if necessary.

Thank'you

Andrea

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Would this not introduce exactly the same problems with taxiways and not seeing other traffic on the ground that have led to the abortion of all other native PS online clients?

An online client is quite simple to build; it is the missing FSX, P3D2, or X-plane that kills the experience for about everybody who tried it. You need that software stack as the online world requires one of these.

It's all about scenery, not about online.

Hoppie

United744

I think the real problem is dealing with taxiing?

Zapp

Well, of course you are right, the whole thing just works from runway to runway, but having a network that is already working with traffic from the other three simulators is not bad ....

cavaricooper

I keep hoping someone can do this....i.e. a PSX only VATSIM client.  Key would be the ability to log-on at a gate and then taxi or "teleport" to the active when cleared.... which leads to my other "wish list" item.... a Google Earth tool for PSX (Martin, are you reading this ;)?).

Fingers still x'ed -

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cagarini

Or an application  that could read a database of World airports, and, according to the given taxi instructions, drive PSX along it, without any scenery visualization required... PSX might be forced to be in "tug" mode or some kind of "slew" mode while it was driven across it's travel from the gate to the rw threshold, or CAT markings line...

With my "new" redesigned layout for PSX, I really do not need FSX or XP10 anymore - for the type of flying I do in PSX, this is more than sufficient. But taxiing is still a bit weird, that's for sure....

Another thing that can't be simulated in PSX is a total ( don't know if possible IRL ) loss of ND and PFD data, on finals, requiring the crew to perform a visual approach, probably including circle to land, because we can't look sideways in PSX.

In ELITE, even before the introduction of the 3d Genview sceneries, it was still possible to look sideways and see the rw lighting systems when at the right angles...

GodAtum

I dont understand the point of FSCloud. We already have rivialry between Vatsim and IVAO.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Somebody wrote that more competition leads to better products?   :mrgreen:

Zapp

And I also think that FScloud could be a good idea because it is very relaxed, friendly, and they would be happy to have us with the Queens ....

And of course it's at the very beginning, meaning that we can even ask for features directly to the owner. I saw the interface code needed and it is pretty clean and straightforward: it shouldn't be too hard to implement. If only I had the time I would give it a try.

Andrea

kiek

Quote from: GodAtumI dont understand the point of FSCloud. We already have rivialry between Vatsim and IVAO.
I agree, and at VATSIM or IVAO it also does not matter which platform your are using (FSX, Prepar3D, X-Plane), you will see the traffic of all of them, just as FSCloud advertises.

Flightsim networks are more attractive if they offer lots of traffic and ATC; it's a pity that some traffic is now 'diverted' to FSCloud...

Nico

Zapp

I think that an alternative is always a good thing: being able to choose is better than not. Don't you think so? That said, I'd really like to fly online with psx without having to launch FSX/P3D or X-plane (losing the wonderful silkness that is typical of PSX). I'd also like to fly online in a relaxed community.

Those who don't, are free to stick with Vatsim and IVAO.

Greetings from Rome

Andrea

kiek

Quote from: ZappI'd really like to fly online with psx without having to launch FSX/P3D or X-plane (losing the wonderful silkness that is typical of PSX).
I'm sorry but I do not understand that. How can you fly online without scenery? Don't you want to see your colleague pilots in their aircrafts at the apron? Don't you want to see them take-off or land?

If you run PSX at one PC and FSX/P3D or X-plane at another PC you will have good FPS in both systems.

We have vPilot  Squawbox and more to connect to the already existing flight sim communities,  while Swift is under development.

Nico

GodAtum

I agree that more compeition could be good but not if it dilutes the ecosystem. If people divide between the services, there will be less traffic in each one.

Zapp

Quote from: kiek
Quote from: ZappI'd really like to fly online with psx without having to launch FSX/P3D or X-plane (losing the wonderful silkness that is typical of PSX).
I'm sorry but I do not understand that. How can you fly online without scenery? Don't you want to see your colleague pilots in their aircrafts at the apron? Don't you want to see them take-off or land?

No, I want to concentrate on my aircrat and ATC instructions: that is more than enough. When I want eye candy I launch P3D or X-Plane and I enjoy them a lot.

But PSX is something else: PSX gives me perfect smoothness, and that's what I need from a simulation. All others are toys.

I could possibly change my mind if I were able to run PSX and X-Plane on different computers, but unfortunately I can't, and I repeat, I am quite happy with the perfect smoothness and crisp clarity of PSX instruments, and I don't want to give that up for the luxury of "seeing" other aircraft around me.

So this could be a good solution for those like me, and you can stick with AVSIM - IVAO: the perfect solution for everyone, don't you agree?

Andrea

Zapp

Quote from: GodAtumI agree that more compeition could be good but not if it dilutes the ecosystem. If people divide between the services, there will be less traffic in each one.

Competition is ALWAYS a good thing. The best survive, the others learn a lesson. And if many survive, it means that each of them gives something different to different people.

Otherways we wouldn't have this wonderful simulator called PSX: we would all be struggling with .cfg files and graphics settings to see toons sunbathe or drink a beer at the airport while we try to maintain 30 fps smooth and never succed, or we would be fighting against VAS problems and occasional addon-induced crashes.

Different, not better. It's the right of choosing: somewhere they call it democracy.

Andrea

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I believe a PSX native online client, for any network, will not cater to more than a dozen people. It has been proven in the past that not being able to look outside on the ground is going to disturb your experience, if only because you disturb others by not seeing them, and not seeing the taxiways, and driving straight through everything. ATC tends to mumble and eventually will suggest you to drop offline and come back up, after asking, on the runway threshold. After landing they will ask you to go offline and taxi to a gate of your choice. It has happened before, it will happen again. They learn your callsign very, very quickly. Ah yes, PSX, that sim without scenery.

From lineup to landing, there is no need for a scenery generator. But from startup to lineup, and from turnoff to shutdown, you need some reference to a well-aligned taxiway set, and to other ground traffic ("AWX747, behind the Speedbird 737, taxi via Alpha and Golf to hold short runway 12 right").

I see one reasonable way out.

Get a cheap, used computer with a 11" display, clean it out, set up FSX with all sliders on minimum, and run that alongside your PSX box for ground ops only. FSX in this configuration should run properly on pretty much anything, and you do not disturb PSX in any way. The computer has completely free audio hardware for your online voice and you can hook up anything you want as the PTT key.

The same computer can handle your chart display.

Hoppie

cagarini

Excellent advice Hoppie!

Zapp

Yeah, it's good advice, except when the captain (wife) says that one box is more than enough in this room ....

Anyway, if I find the time next summer, I'll give it a try :-)

Andrea

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

zOMG creeping requirements   :mrgreen: