News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

HD video camera?

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:34

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

does anybody know a good HD video camera in the range from 1000 to 2000 Euro?

I see lots of models for less than 800 €, and some pro models above 2000 €.

The former don't provide the quality I need, the latter provide more than I need. There seems to be a big gap between 800 and 2000 €. I'd like to spend 1500 € and get the respective quality for that price :-)

My Canon XL1s is over 10 years old now. Those cheap HD cameras may render edges around polygons sharper than my old SD camera, but they blurr the finer details more, and the colors are less brilliant. And there's a lot of quality loss due to data compression.

After Sony and Canon, I'd like to try Panasonic this time.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Tetsuo

Hi,Hardy

How about ths one?
Is this low spec. for you? :)

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-X920K

or

almost 2000 euro ?

http://www.amazon.com/HDC-Z10000-3D-Digital-Camcorder-Full/dp/B006AR5ZQ6

tetsuo

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Tetsuo,

thanks for the tips :-)

The HC-X920K has WiFi. I would prefer a camera without WiFi, and invest the WiFi-money in video quality.

The HDC-Z10000 is 3D. I'm looking for a 2D camera :-)

See. There's nothing between these two extremes :-)

It's like looking for a telephone. There are some cheap ones with mechanical dial plates, and some expensive ones with inbuilt computers. Nothing in between.

Same for joysticks. There are some cheap plastic sticks for below 100 €, and some good metal sticks above 1000 €. Nothing in between.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

frumpy

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinSame for joysticks. There are some cheap plastic sticks for below 100 €, and some good metal sticks above 1000 €. Nothing in between.

What joysticks do you look for? The Thrustmaster HOTAS ist state-of-the-art,
with hall-sensors and excellent haptics. ~150€ for the single stick, ~250 with
throttles. They are like taken off a real aircraft, I was impressed.
Can be passed on to future generations too! :-)

Hardy Heinlin

Hall-sensors? Interesting. Will check this later this year or so. Thanks.

For now I'm just looking for an HD camera :-)

GodAtum

Hi Hardy, I have been looking for cameras to stream from my cockpit. My shortlist is:

HERO3+ Black Edition
Canon XA25
Sony AX100

Hardy Heinlin

Thanks. The Sony AX100 might be interesting. Would be nice if it was a Panasonic. But it's not a must.

Kurt

No camera recommendations from my side sorry, - I only have experience with the GoPro series.. - I do hope though that your search for a new camera won't stall the release of further PSX demo videos  :P  :mrgreen:

Cheers

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

falconeye

Well, my GoPro Hero 3+ can also record 4k videos. But I don't use it. You need a lot of harddisk space, a big SD card and, if you want to edit the videos, a really really fast computer. So you first have  to invest in a highend computer too.
What about the Panasonic AG-AC90. Costs about 1700€.

Hardy Heinlin

The AG-AC90 is not an improvement over my old Canon, I think. Nice sharp edges, but blurry within smoother structures, and weaker colors.

I think the Panasonic GH4 is nice, even better than the Sony AX100. But lenses are not included.

martin

Quote from: Hardy"But lenses are not included."
Perhaps it has a Camera obscura mode?
 8)

falconeye

Yes, the GH4 seems to be a very nice camera. Not only a good videocamera, but also a really good DSLR. It is unbelievable how fast the technic developes in this area. I bought a Sony CX-730 two years ago. The image stabilization is the best I ever saw and I am satisfied so far. But today you can not even buy the model on Amazon. Really strange.

frumpy

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinHall-sensors? Interesting. Will check this later this year or so. Thanks.

Before the prices raise before Xmas, I got the stick myself
(paid 147 Euros). I tried the Thrustmaster Cougar before,
but the deadzone, the potentiometers and the buttons did not
convince me. Thrustmaster has learned a lot and put this
knowledge into the Warthog.

All I can say is - wow. I wonder, how I did flightsimming
all the past years? The 3 kg metal stick feels very professional.
It's got virtually no deadzone (I set 2% in X-Plane, I think
I could go lower - but no need), excellent haptics and the
14bit resolution is exceptional. Feels like home.

I guess it's like PSX - worth every cent. :)

Hardy Heinlin

Apropos ... I got a Panasonic HC-X929. Very good at 1080p.