News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Madeira

Started by B747-400, Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:03

B747-400

Hi,

I'm afraid I missed some infos, how to create an fly over waypoint. Searched, but no success.

I want to create the curve from FUN211/6 to GELO and ROSRO, as per the charts.
But instead of the correct (yellow) course, I got the magenta line and a zig zag at ROSRO.

What am I doing wrong?

THX
Hans

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

As far as I remember, the 747 FMC does not have the option for the pilot to program a fly-over waypoint. It can have these waypoints as part of a procedure from the database, but pilots cannot make them. There are many other procedural things pilots cannot program, probably because the authorities/Boeing consider this unsafe. Either you use a pre-programmed, complicated procedure that has been vetted multiple times, or you use something simpler.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

as far as I recall, this arc is an RF leg. You'll get this specific arc radius if you have the NG FMC and load the approach from the database. The RF arc radius is fixed and stored in the database; it won't change with your groundspeed which is the case on normal leg turns.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Markus Vitzethum

> There are many other procedural things pilots cannot program,
> probably because the authorities/Boeing consider this unsafe.

If I'm not wrong, the accuracy of the lat/long data stored in the FMC database for any given waypoint (and in the source ARINC424 database, for that matter) is higher than the accuracy of a waypoint which is entered via the FMC scratchpad. As we know, for scratchpad entries, positions are only accurate to 1/10th of a minute of arc, or 0.1 mile. (And obviously, conditional waypoints, L/R turn preferences, fly-over information, procdure-tuning of navaids, all of which are essential database features, are not available.)

One might argue that for RNAV procedures, editing might work (with waypoint stored in the DB)- there is a reason why editing/modifying terminal procedures is discouraged. E.g. modifying a SID from the database might lead to controlled flight into terrain. See this report:
https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/CPA86%20Final%20Report.pdf

B747-400

Thx for all you inputs, Gents!

Btw: a good reading, Markus!

Regards
Hans

John H Watson

Quote from: B747-400 on Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:03I got the magenta line and a zig zag at ROSRO.

Zigzag lines are a common feature on the 747 ND

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

What does the AFDS actually fly if you push it towards such an artwork?

Hardy Heinlin

According to the logic, the FMC will activate the next waypoint when 50% of the turn arc is passed (which happens at the abeam line to the active waypoint), at which point your LNAV will start to capture the next leg. In other words, LNAV won't overfly the peak of the zigzag.

B747-400

As workaround I created some place bearing distance waypoints, giving an excellent curve.
So, my son and I can work on our LPMA approaches  8)

Regards
Hans