News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Amelia Earhart

Started by farrokh747, Thu, 6 Jul 2017 05:53

Will

I saw this... and I looked at the photos. Unless I'm missing something, I'm finding it hard to be convinced that the pics show Earhart.

[Edit: "liked at" the photos should is now corrected to "looked at" the photos.]
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

On that mysterious photo I see someone with black hair. She had no black hair, unless she dyed it.

Phil Bunch

Has Photoshopping been ruled out? 

Often, experts can study photos and may be able to show that a photo was "Photoshopped".  It would be so easy nowadays to create such a photo.

I hope that it is legitimate and that we learn something new about Earhart.  I admire people who can navigate an aircraft across long ocean distances without modern technologies such as GPS, inertial navigation, LORAN, and more.  I suppose celestial navigation might have been an option if she could reliably get above the clouds.

<EDIT:>

Here's some info about her navigation methods, etc:

https://timeandnavigation.si.edu/navigating-air/early-air-navigators/amelia-earhart

Excerpt:

"Their flight required an effective blend of dead-reckoning, celestial navigation, and radio direction finding, but poor planning, inexperience, and circumstance compromised all three. They never reached Howland Island and likely perished in the ocean."
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch