News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Windows 10 display turns black

Started by cagarini, Fri, 20 Nov 2015 08:15

cagarini

I can't exactly recall when this started to happen.

It might have been one or two Nvidia driver updates away, I am not sure. My wife told me that the screen kept turning black after just a minute or so when she wasn't using any input.

The tests I have made, after making sure that ALL ( I guess... ) power options are set to NEVER in my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ( with the latest November update applied ) give me this rather irritating behavior when using PSX. Simply starting, for instance, the EDDF 25C approach real time situ, after around 1' the screen goes black, not off or showing loss of signal because the led in my ASUS monitor is still lit.

I am using the joystick, rudder and hotas and the only thing I'm not doing is using the mouse or the keyboard. As I touch any of these, pressing a key or moving the mouse, display comes back again, usually broken for a few seconds and then back to normal ( initially some instruments look weird / not rendered, but after a few seconds everyting is displayed ok, but this is as it always have been the way PSX reacts when losing focus  )

When using my other sim, in full or windowed modes, this problem never occurs.

The screen also goes black when using other applications, like editors, browsers, etc....

I post this here in the hope that some of you might have come across a similar situation, and maybe can give me some hint ... :-)

Edit HH: Subject specified

martin

A wild guess: Have you checked the screensaver settings?
(Not the same as having the screen switched off via the Power settings!)

I don't have Win10, though -- but in Win7 they can still be found in the Control Panel (Appearance and Personalization > Personalization > Change screensaver), and there is still the option to use the "Blank" (= black) screensaver.

Probably too simple a solution to apply in this case, but...

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin

cagarini

Martin,

thx for your hint. I believe I also checked that, but I  am not absolutely sure, and will try to find out when I arrive home today.

Thank you very much anyway, and I'll report back any findings.

Strangely it doesn't affect the sims that uses DirectX9.0c or 11. Those can run for ages without the screen going black. Actually even Condorsoaring, based on DX7, also runs in full or windowed mode, without this "screensaver" effect...

Hessel Oosten

José,

Is there a possibility for you to go back/install (to) a previous video-card driver of .... months/weeks ago ?

Hessel

cagarini

Hessel,

yes, that's one of the steps I'll have to go through during the weekend, if the other options fail :-/

Anyway, it'll be bad for soaring this weekend :-)

Thank you for your suggestion!

I will report back whatever solution I find ( so I hope... )

P.S.: What is really peculiar is that this doesn't affect any DirectX applications. I am using, apart from PSX, il2 BoS and DCS World, and from time to time also p3dv2.5. I can leave the keyboard and mouse untouched for as long as I want and the screen never goes dark, so in those programs the settings of "Never" related to "screesaver" and the "turn off monitor" options do work.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: jcomm on Fri, 20 Nov 2015 08:15
The screen also goes black when using other applications, like editors, browsers, etc....

Obviously neither a PSX problem nor an aviation topic. I'll move it to the Pit ...

cagarini

Sorry Hardy for the wrong place to post. Rest assured it was the last time it happened.

Regarding the problem, Hessel and Martin, as promised, I solved it by creating a personalized power plan, and settng it exactly as I had it set on the default plans. Nothing changed but the fact is, I no longer experienced the black screen.

This was also one of the suggestions I found on Internet from someone who had experienced the same problem in win 10, but there are similar cases described at Win 8 forums.

Thanks again, Hessel and Martin for your suggestions :-)