News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Diverting

Started by Stephane LI, Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:29

Stephane LI

Hello,

I was doing some training this weekend on short flights.
The scenario was FMEE RWY 12 to FIMP ILS 14 via EPTEK, ETKIS, FF.
I followed the ILS manually until the DA then Manual Go around, fly rwy heading until 4000ft and return to FMEE.
So after the go around I have put FMEE as DEST in RTE page, on DEP/ARR I selected rwy 14 for FIMP and SOBAT1 departure, STAR SOBAT4V for ILS Z 14 FMEE via RECIF, planned flight level for diversion was FL180. I selected 18000 on the MCP pushed the knob and verified that 180 was in cruise alt on VNAV page.
I followed the SID from FIMP, everything was fine, except that I was unable to activate VNAV for the diversion. The FMC was stucked on the descent page. I have tried to manually put 18000 in VNAV page 2 (CRZ page), but it did not work.
So I had to fly the climb in FLCH then SPEED/ALT HOLD for the cruise and FLCH, V/S for the descent.
What is the correct procedure to divert after a go around and use VNAV ?

Stephane

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Stephane,

what do you mean by "unable to activate VNAV"?

Did you arm VNAV on the MCP, but VNAV didn't engage?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Stephane LI

Hi Hardy,

It does not even want to arm. I am sure it is not coming from the aircraft but from me not doing the correct procedure, even if I have many hours in flight simming aircraft with advanced FMS. Normally I never divert in my virtual life :-).

Stephane

Hardy Heinlin

Are you sure you mean "arm" (white "VNAV" word on PFD), not "engage" (green "VNAV" word on PFD)?

Actually, VNAV can be armed even when the FMC is not fully initialized.

If you mean "engaged": Maybe, for some unknown reasons, you've lost any of these FMC entries:

- gross weight
- cost index
- cruise altitude

All of them are required (must be displayed in big font) to engage VNAV.

VNAV is also inoperative when certain malfunctions exist. Do you have a situ file of your situation?

|-|ardy

Golden PSX rule: Always save a situ file when you're wondering about something.

Stephane LI

Unfortunately, I don't have any situ file. I will try again and save a situ file on final.

Stephane