News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Update help

Started by xanix1, Mon, 1 Dec 2014 02:20

xanix1

so when I install the PSX update do I just overwrite all the original files.
Thankyou in advance.

torrence

NO - read Hardy's notes.  You just have to replace the Aerowinx executable jar file.  It's so simple it is indeed hard to believe. Beautiful coding.  Hardy should publish a 'Zen of Simulator Programing' book.  Might make even more than the program ;) .

Cheers,
Torrence

EDIT - Good plan is to keep backup of original disk jar file in case you ever get confused.  The splash screen and the 'About' on the Instructor's Station will show the version number that goes with the current jar file.  Oh - and depending on where you started some of your situ files created with the release product might have to be saved again in the Updated version (again see notes on update versions).
T
Cheers
Torrence

xanix1

I have read Hardys installation instructions is to overwrite all your old Aerowinx files in your network.What network?Thats were I get confused so do I overwrite all old Aerowinx files and I that's it I just don't want to stuffuf up my original install.just not very computer tech. :(

John Golin

There is only one file in the update.... just replace the existing Aerowinx.jar file with the updated one...

The network reference is for people who are running multiple instances of PSX networked together... basically update them all so they are all on the same version...
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

brian747

:)   Relax, it's almost too easy. Here's some background.

PSX can be run in all sorts of configurations, on one computer or several. Hardy has helpfully illustrated various possibilities — take a look at pages 72 to 81 of his manual. Also, you can also run up to four copies of PSX at once, if you wish to do so.

People running multiple copies on multiple computers will probably have multiple installations of PSX, each of which will have its own Aerowinx folder on that machine. In other words somewhere (depending on what was decided at install time) there will be an Aerowinx folder containing (amongst other things) a file called Aerowinx.jar — and that's the file which needs to be replaced with the new version. Just one file — but in each Aerowinx directory in the event that you have more than one Aerowinx installation.

However, if the mention of a network confuses you, it sounds as though you don't have a network, and are running PSX on a single machine (p.72 of Hardy's manual). In that case you will simply replace the Aerowinx.jar file in the only Aerowinx folder you have (but you may wish to back up the old version of the file first — simply change the .jar suffix to .old or something, and leave it where it is).

So since only one file is involved it's quite hard to screw up your original install, and even if you did you can simply reinstall the whole thing from your disk and start again. However, as Torrence says, if you do reinstall then before doing so be aware that you may have created situ files that you want to keep, and they will be in the Aerowinx\\Situations folder; similarly any layouts you have made will be in Aerowinx\\Layouts, and any routes will be in Aerowinx\\Routes — just look for the newer files in those folders (since they obviously won't be on your install disk) and ensure that they are copied back to the same folder in your new installation.

Cheers,

Brian

[Later edit: sorry, John, we must have been typing simultaneously].    ;)
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

John Golin

Hehe... typing on the touchscreen I didn't feel like being very verbose.... thanks for filling in the detail!
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

xanix1

Thankyou so much guys for the information and making it clear for me.Yes I only have the one PSX instalation on my c: drive so I know what to do now.
Thankyou all again for your help.
Cheers. 😃

Bryan Salvage

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I am enjoying PSX although I am finding it a bit difficult to grasp in places but never the less a great sim. I am sure that the problem is with me and not the PSX. Age I am sorry to say has caught up with me.

I have been looking through the forum for information with regards to updates if and when there are any.

Have there been any updates, how can one get them.

My apology if this has already been aired on the forum.

Regards to all
 :P

Hardy Heinlin

Good evening Bryan,

yes, here's the latest update 10.0.1:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=1951

It's available since 18 NOV 2014.

Regards,

|-|ardy

brian747

Hi, Bryan!

If you're looking for topics to help with your grasp of PSX, then obviously this forum (and its search function) is a wonderful resource.

But don't overlook the fact that there are also a few tutorials available on the Miscellaneous page of the Aerowinx site ( http://aerowinx.com/html/misc.html), and, of course, the wonderful add-ons on the, er, Add-ons page of the same site.      :)

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Bryan Salvage

Hi Hardy&Brian747

Thanks for you help and advise, it is greatly appreciated :P