News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX Arduino Integration

Started by John Golin, Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:38

RogerH

Hm, sorry for delay in reporting back - I seem to be having toruble turning things off!

I keep getting messages about needing administrator rights to do things - I am the admin on the PC and I htought I'd tunred UAC off altogether.

I am not the biggest fan of Windows 10 right now...

asboyd

I sometimes find firewalls and UAC get turned back on after windows updates...
I think it is an MS conspiracy to make people think they have dementia.... ;)

Cheers,

Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I am not sure about 10, but in 7 there was this issue with the Base Filtering Engine.

The Base Filtering Engine is a low-level packet filter that is essentially the same as netfilter ("iptables") on Linux. It does the hard work of actually filtering the network packts while the Windows Firewall sets it up, simply stated.

When you switch the Firewall off, the Base Filtering Engine gets confused. It no longer gets direction. It thinks this is not possible, Firewall must have crashed, and goes independent "I Will Save The World". And promptly inserts its own default filtering rules, for security.

So... hunt for the Base Filtering Engine process in the services and disable it. See what that does for you.

If this leads to all kinds of oil filter bypass cautions, it's not my fault!

Hoppie

RogerH

Thanks guys - been HDAU sorting out LuaMacros to work with P3D the last couple of days, due to the demise of HIDMacros with Windows 7. Finally got it working today and have been doggedly re-programming all my special keys - only, now I have to do it in 3 different programs, rather than have HIDMacros send a Simconnect command to P3D. Grrrrr.... I hate progress!

RogerH

Hm.

Found "Base Filtering Engine" in services, but even though (afaik) I'm an administrator it won't let me turn it off! Maybe it's a Windows 10 thing.

RogerH

Nope,

I cannot for the life of me get SIOC running. I've tried all of the suggestions above but to no avail.

This is such a disastrous outcome for me - I can't understand why it will work on other peoples' machines but not on  mine. My whole cockpit is built around SIOc and the thought of changing to something else makes me want to give up!

Frustrated of Pevensey Bay.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I have that faint idea that you are NOT logged in as an Administrator.

RogerH

I keep getting the same suspicion, but other than changing my User Account, I don't know how to ensure I am.

asboyd

If you go to user accounts, click on change account type... it should show you as a local administrator.

If you right click on SIOC.exe you can set it to run as administrator under the compatibility tab.

Cheers,

AlexB

PS, when you installed SIOC did you run the setup "as administrator".... right click setpu and choose run as....

RogerH

Hi Guys,

Thanks, as ever, for the input and help - and apologies for my tantrum last night! I'd been installing stuff on the new machine and had spent literally hours re-defining buttons and axes in P3D/FSUIPC?AHK?LuaMacros for my training setup - I guess I was kinda knackered! Not the best time to start troubleshooting... lol.

I will go over it all again, as I think Hoppie is right - somehow I'm not being seen as an admin, even though I have set my User Account to be administrator, and have modified the SIOC.exe to run as admin.

I also installed SIOC as admin and installed it into C:\SIOC rather than the default path.

I'm at a loss, but I think you're both onto the right thing - it has to do with admin rights and permissions.

I have another Windows 10 machine which runs it fine - it's just the new machine which is causing issues - but the new machine is the most powerful so I kinda need it running on that!

When I first got the machine (second hand, but from a trusted source), it absolutely insisted that I have a PIN to start up each time. I could not find a way to disable this. I'm sure it has something to do with this.

I've always run my machines without admin passowrds as it makes life much easier when file and folder sharing over networks - maybe this has something to do with it?

Anyway - thanks for the help and we'll see what occurs!

Cheers,

Roger.

EDIT: "When I first got the machine (second hand, but from a trusted source), it absolutely insisted that I have a PIN to xxx start up xxx each time." Should be "_log on_ each time"

simbro

Quote from: RogerH on Tue,  1 Sep 2020 10:47
When I first got the machine (second hand, but from a trusted source), it absolutely insisted that I have a PIN to start up each time. I could not find a way to disable this.

Hi Roger,

Must you enter the PIN before it even boots?  If so, this sounds like there may be some form of HD encryption installed (often the case with second-hands originating from 'secure environments') - in which case you need to contact your trusted source to see if/how this can be de-installed. Sometimes this can be removed by a low-level format but is a real PITA...
But maybe you have now solved the problem as you say 'When I FIRST got the machine'!  ;D

OTOH, I may be barking up the wrong tree!!  ;)

Cheers
Simon

RogerH

Hi Simon - thanks for your input here and elsewhere!

I mean it requires a PIN at logon in the usual way if you have set a password on your profile - except that I never do, so it was confusing and irritating to be told I _had_ to do it. I changed it to password, but i couldn't get it to disappear altogether. For ease, I changed it back to PIN so I only have 4 digits to remember, lol!

I wasa a 'trusted' source (rather than 'secure') in that I got it second hand from a known fellow-simmer, so I have no worries about systemic issues otherwise they wouldn't have let me have it.

Cheers,

Roger.

RogerH

Alex, if you see this,

I wonder if you'd be OK to share your exact SIOC setup? Where it's installed, sioc.ini file, what version of W10 you're running etc?

There must be something I'm missing - but I've tried to set mine up as you suggested - still no joy :-(

By all means feel free to email me at fatcharlie - at - btopenworld - dot - com

Cheers,

Roger.

asboyd

Roger will do.
I will fire up my Win 10 2004 machine as well. I can then send info on both 1909 and 2004..
Watch for my email soon...
Cheers,

RogerH

asboyd

Email sent Roger :)

Cheers,

RogerH

Thanks Alex.

received - just got a couple of P5 lessons tomorrow and Monday so  concentrating on those. But will have a look Monday pm I hope.

Cheers,

Roger.