News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Interesting touchscreen planetarium: NUIverse on Microsoft Surface

Started by Walter Kranl, Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:52

Walter Kranl

Phil Bunch

Thanks for the link.

I have to confess that I have been addicted to astronomy-related software packages for many years, and have most of the popular packages on my PC or iPad.  "The Sky" is my personal fav PC package and it has most of the key features NuIverse has, although not in touchscreen form.  On my iPad, Distant Suns and SkySafari Pro are my current favs.

Hmmm...maybe the possibility of this package is enough of a "justification" to run out and buy the new iPad 3 model!?!?!  I need some excuse, and haven't found too much yet in the iPad 3 other than having extra pixels(grins)
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Walter Kranl

Hi Phil,

I own "The Sky" and SkySafari Pro, too (Mac-OSX and Android). I can also recommend "SkyTools 3" as an excellent planning and mapping software.

Altough I'm an Apple fan, I prefer Android when it comes to mobile devices, not because Android is the better OS, but it is less restrictive, so Samsung Galaxy Tab for me :-).

Greetings
Walter

Pierre Theillere

Hi Walter and Phil!

Wow, that's quite an impressive demo and a huge touchscreen: it's exactly what we'd need for the whole OverHead panel in PSx! (with a strong ceiling...)
About explorating the virtual space: on iOS, I have and suggest "StarMap Pro", "Planets", "GoSkyWatch", "Distant Suns", and "SkyChart". The last is very impressive, mostly on the iPad, as it uses the built-in compass and gyro (getting its position on Earth from GPS, or manually), to provide you a real-time rendered "virtual window in the sky" if you handle it with raised arms. If you want to land the Space Shuttle, "F-Sim Shuttle" is quite nice and challenging!
On computers (Windows, MacOS, and Linux), you can get "Stellarium" and also "Celestia" that are amazing and free planetariums. "Orbiter" for space travelling simulation is great too, but only runs on Windows.
Pierre, LFPG