News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Flash points of fuel types

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:57

Hardy Heinlin

Good evening,

like in PS1, different fuel types are also available in PSX.

As we all know, fuel types with a lower freezing point also have a lower flash point which may vary from 38°C (e.g. Jet A) down to 28°C (e.g. TS-1).

Could this difference of 10° affect the safety design of the 747-400 in any way?

In the sim, fuel tanks may explode only in a collision with aircraft or terrain -- in such extreme cases the fuel type won't make any difference anyway.

As for nacelle fires: A normally running engine is always on fire, at temps over 200°C, independent of the flash point. So, regarding nacelle protection, there's no special effect here either.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Ah, wait, ... in PS1 there was an explosion delay: If an engine fire couldn't be extinguished, the tanks exploded after some minutes.

In PSX, the fuel type could influence this delay. Of course, this would be rather a gimmick than of any educational use, but it would cost only one line of code.

Some full flight sims also offer inextinguishable engine fires. I wonder what consequences they model. Will the fire last forever? What is the educational purpose of this? Land as fast as possible when the fire couldn't be extinguished within x seconds?

John Golin

Don't the engines fall off the wing after a period of time - the bolts are designed to fail?
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I am not sure the shear bolts still exist. After the El Al flight dropped two engines over Amsterdam, the design philosophy was changed and it was no longer considered a good idea to allow engines to break free. The bolts were replaced and the pylons reinforced, in order to keep the engines on the wing no matter what.

KLM, having a large maintenance facility near Schiphol, saw an opportunity and developed a mod which then got sold to many other operators. They had dedicated tooling and supports etc. available and could do the job in a few days.

747 engine pylons get reinforced at KLM Maintenance

John Golin

Interesting! I did not know that!
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au