News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Visual PS1 question.

Started by Mariano, Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:04

Garry Richards

Ok, that's fixed - I will include the fix in the final release of VisualPS1. That should happen shortly, after which I will use the code to kick start development of VisualPSX.

P.S. As you can see from my avatar, I am no longer bearded, although still tree-like.  ;)
Garry

Matt Sheil

Quote from: Garry RichardsP.S. As you can see from my avatar, I am no longer bearded, although still tree-like.  ;)

For those that have never seen Gary in person he is 9ft 3" Tall   :roll:

John Golin

Quote from: Matt Sheil
Quote from: Garry RichardsP.S. As you can see from my avatar, I am no longer bearded, although still tree-like.  ;)

For those that have never seen Gary in person he is 9ft 3" Tall   :roll:

Is that all?!
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

John Davis PC

Yes but with Old Age "Stoop" we expect that to come down to about 8ft 10" :)

John Davis PC

Hi Garry, I have installed the new version and am getting mixed results, it still starts PS1 in Paused mode but once unpaused Tug works ok now. Sometimes Visual PS1 won't start at all though crashing immediately for some reason.  Message is a TCL pro one I think, the screen is high up and hard to read in my sim with my failing eyesight.

I have tried it with the new version of tug and with the older version, sods law dictates that it works better with the Newer Tug, but that causes massive Graphical interference in PS1 using IPC 2.8   I have tried running IPC 3 but it still slows PS1 uo to a crawl in my sim ... we never did solve that one.

Cheers  PC

Garry Richards

Hi PC,

Starting paused is fixed in build 4296. All I can suggest is to ensure that your PS1 situation was not saved in paused mode.

As for the tug, there were always unresolved problems if I recall and I don't think Hoppie is working on it any more.

Won't it be wonderful when all that hacking of PS1 is behind us and PSX just plugs and plays?

Of course if it doesn't you could always fly a team of Aussie sim experts over to help.  :lol:  :lol:
Garry

John Davis PC

Thanks, why did you make it start ps1 Paused when the last version didnt ?   its no problem unpausing if im doing Worldflight or a full flight but day to day running of the sim its a big hassle, as I usually keep changing situations, i.e. Heathrow approach, Hong Kong, St Maarten, in otherwords many changes, I would have to leave seats to unpause each one as I usually stop and start Visual PS1 when moving around the world to save scenery loading time on FS9 .... it takes about three times longer to load scenery if I leave it on.
Would it be possible to have a "Special Vesion that doesnt put PS1 into pause" ?
I can live with the problems of Tug, we never did resolve that and the older version is still better in some respects.

Yes it will be better with PSX ... a whole raft of nightmares changing the sim over to that though, might be easier to build a new one :)

Garry Richards

Quote from: John Davis PCThanks, why did you make it start ps1 Paused when the last version didnt?
That was a bug.  :(  I fixed it in the current build - 4296.  :D

Quote from: John Davis PCWould it be possible to have a "Special Version that doesnt put PS1 into pause" ?
See above.

Quote from: John Davis PCYes it will be better with PSX ... a whole raft of nightmares changing the sim over to that though, might be easier to build a new one :)
Yep, the bigger the sim the more work in converting it. It will be interesting to see how long it takes after PSX is released for the comprehensive sims like yours to use it for Worldflight. That's the ultimate test of functionality and reliability.
Garry

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

If Tcl Pro, then not VisualPS1 but one of my programs! Either it broke at the interpreter level, which is an extremely rare occasion and I will be interested in it, or something that I do not yet understand happened.

Jeroen

John Davis PC

Hi Garry, I thought I had downloaded the latest version from your site, im using the one for FS9 is that the one you fixed ?   if so can you point it to me and I will try again.  or mail it me ?  if that is the latest one then its still pausing PS1 although im using Standard PS1 and IPC 2.8 cos I cant run IPC 3
and therein lies the rub as they say :)

Hoppie I sometimes get Go-flight Bridge crash out with the same error, it used to do that on the Captains CDU machine if you rememeber, I switched it to an XP machine, the same one im Running the New Visual PS1 on ... it crashes a lot less now but still occasionally and it seems to be when people move the speedbrake lever too fast, i.e stowing it.

Shiv Mathur

Sorry to butt in here, PC, but I'm wondering if you missed Garry's original
suggestion "to ensure that your PS1 situation was not saved in paused mode".

You've checked that angle, I suppose?

Shiv

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

QuoteHoppie I sometimes get Go-flight Bridge crash out with the same error, it used to do that on the Captains CDU machine if you rememeber, I switched it to an XP machine, the same one im Running the New Visual PS1 on ... it crashes a lot less now but still occasionally and it seems to be when people move the speedbrake lever too fast, i.e stowing it.
Yes, that is a known case. It happens with the Bridge "only", because there is a small piece of low-level C code in there that picks up the high-speed USB events that come from the GoFlight hardware.

In theory, and in code, there should not be an event while an event is already being processed. In code, there is even a protection against this, of the kind "if I am processing an event, ignore any other events." But still it seems to happen once in a while that two (or two thousand) events stack up, and drive the program out of stack space in half a second.

This is consistent with your observation that a faster machine has less trouble. And also consistent with that fast lever movement. Fast movement = lots of events in a short time, tumbling all over each other.

So although I do not yet have a proper solution, your suggestion to blame the pilots for stowing the fragile!!! lever too quickly is the right one     :twisted:

Jeroen

Iridium Satellite Not Responding!
Trying to downlink the position report again!
HGHhd6632hgr5ehwgfjlll   NO CARRIER

Garry Richards

Quote from: John Davis PCHi Garry, I thought I had downloaded the latest version from your site, im using the one for FS9 is that the one you fixed ?   if so can you point it to me and I will try again.  or mail it me ?  if that is the latest one then its still pausing PS1 although im using Standard PS1 and IPC 2.8 cos I cant run IPC 3
and therein lies the rub as they say :)
Hi PC, VisualPS1 shows its build number in the title area at the top of its window. If it says 4296 then it's the latest. If not then you can download it from my site.

Build 4296 is the last ever version of VisualPS1 which is now history. Its code has already been reshaped into a pre-alpha version of VisualPSX.

I have only tested it with IPC 3, not 2.8 so I can't advise you there. I do hope however that by the time PSX is out of beta there will be fully tested versions for all current addons so that everything works smoothly from the outset.
Garry

John Davis PC

Thanks Garry, I will check it to make sure I have the right one .... Shiv, I never save any PS1 Situation in Paused so thats not the problem but thanks for prompting me.

Hoppie I have been bollocking them all afternoon to stop slamming throttles, spinning knobs, putting gear and flaps up and down without waiting for the Bridge to think about it ! they seem to get into a massive tizz if something doesnt change immediately

As I say the old version of Visual PS1 works fine, just would be nice to have the new one   ... I will keep working on it a while longer before worldflight.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers  PC

dhmm

Hi John, Garry,

I am currently running VisualPS1 for FSX, 3.2 Build 4296. I am running PS1 with IPC 2.8, and it is working.

My only problem, is FSX is not running  smooth, although the frame rate is over 30FPS. I am getting stuttering effects, and changes in the runway (slight jumps), which happens at a fixed rate, every second.

Garry, could you help?

Thanks,

Garry Richards

Hi DHMM,

I suspect that the FSX aircraft is bouncing slightly on the runway. Switch to an external view of the plane and zoom in on the nose wheel and/or the main gear. If they are repeatedly rising and falling then that is the cause of the problem. (VisualPS1 is forcing the aircraft slightly into the ground or to just above it and FSX is trying to return it to having all wheels just touching the surface.)

If so you can try slightly modifying the static centre of gravity and/or static pitch values in the aircraft.cfg file of that aircraft in FSX.
Garry

dhmm

Thanks Garry,

Will test that part, and update...

:-D