News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Visual PS1 question.

Started by Mariano, Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:04

Mariano

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this issue has been addressed before. I am quite busy this week and unable to do a forum search right now.

Will Visual PS1 work with add-on airports in FS9? Since runways (and other features) may not be in exactly the same place with add-on sceneries, I wonder if this would be a problem.

Also, can I network a Windows 98 computer with a Windows 7 (x64) via a crossover cable? If so, where could I get directions on how to get them talking to each other?

Thank you very much in advance,

Mariano

Shiv Mathur

As ever, Hoppie provides the answer...  

http://www.hoppie.nl/broker/tcpip.html

About the Windows 98 / Windows 7 compatibility, the above link says " ... It assumes that you are running all things on Windows95 or later. ...".

Probably written before Windows 7 appeared, but no harm in trying.

Cheers,
Shiv

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

TCP/IP did not change yet (IPv6 has not arrived in most places, though Windows can do it). You still can make PCs cross talk. But I admit it may be way easier to put a cheap switch in between, or grab a router from somewhere.

Jeroen

Mariano

Router! Good idea. I do have one of those laying around somewhere. Would that be pretty much plug and go?

Thanks guys for the help.

Mariano

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Normally yes. Plug both computers in the ports available for "internal network", leave the WLAN port open.

Garry Richards

Quote from: MarianoWill Visual PS1 work with add-on airports in FS9? Since runways (and other features) may not be in exactly the same place with add-on sceneries, I wonder if this would be a problem.
It should  - and also for FSX. Download the current version from my site and run the offset generator program.

I would appreciate feedback from users because my source code is being reused in developing VisualPSX. A bug-free release would be good. :D
Garry

Mariano

Garry,

Thank you very much. I will install and run Visual PS1. PS1 and MCDU will run on a Windows 98 laptop and FS9 will run in a Windows 7 x64 laptop.

I could not find my wired router, but I did find my old trusty crossover cable. I plugged it in and it seemed to work. I then pinged each machine, and there was no data loss. Does this mean that the connection is acceptable to run PS1 and Visual PS1? That was too easy. Something must not be right.

As soon as I get everything running, I will let you know how it went.

Thanks again,

Mariano

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It sounds OK, Mariano. It isn't that difficult. If there is nothing else on the machines in terms of network, especially no router or gateway with a DHCP server, then it is near impossible that they don't see each other.

The only thing that could be tricky is that you should not use the 127.0.0.x addresses when working between machines. This will always work, as these addresses point by definition to the machine itself, so you can ping them with no cable at all.

Jeroen

Mariano

Jeroen,

Thanks. The only network at home is a wireless one. All machines use that network to access the internet. When I connected both laptops to each other to test the crossover cable earlier today, they both still were able to go online with no problem. I guess both networks are not interfering with each other (you can tell I know nothing about this subject ;-)

By the way, what are you doing in Tamiami? Not a good time of the year at all to be down there. I live three hours north on the coast in a small town call Vero Beach. Is this a temporary re-location?

Last August I was in KMIA for a few weeks getting a 767/757 type. Where you there then?

Thanks again,

Mariano

John Davis PC

Whilst we are on the subject of Visual PS1   is anyone running the latest version with Hoppies Tug ?   I have been trying out the latest version and when using tug shortly after moving forwards or backwards it puts PS1 into pause mode although the nose will move left or right using tug but we stay on the same spot.
Therefore it renders tug useless.

I must admit im not using the latest version of Tug as I found that gave us more graphical problems in PS1 and speedbrake extensions than the earlier version  (but we think that is an IPC problem)... Trying it with the newest version is my next move however I thought I would just ask whilst we were talking and see if anyone had the same problem or I missed something.

Cheers  PC

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: MarianoThanks. The only network at home is a wireless one. All machines use that network to access the internet.
Ha ha, pull the cable out and see whether it still works! I bet it does! Normally, the WiFi router already bridges the connections between the machines.

QuoteBy the way, what are you doing in Tamiami?
Living here   :-)

QuoteNot a good time of the year at all to be down there. I live three hours north on the coast in a small town call Vero Beach. Is this a temporary re-location?
Nope, not temporary (at least not short/medium term). I intend to stay here for at least several years, and my familiy comes over as soon as possible (few months at most).

QuoteLast August I was in KMIA for a few weeks getting a 767/757 type. Where you there then?
Sure! Late July/early August I was there for three weeks.

Jeroen

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: John Davis PCTug shortly after moving forwards or backwards it puts PS1 into pause mode although the nose will move left or right using tug but we stay on the same spot.
Tug itself has no code to activate pause mode. VisualPS1 may have. It could be a silly bad interplay between two programs that are tightly coupled to motion events.

Tug is at the borderline between hacking and breaking PS1, so much is clear...

Jeroen

Mariano

Jeroen,

That's much closer than the Netherlands. Next time I head South, I will let you know. Perhaps we can meet and have lunch. Hopefully, it will be during more moderate temperatures ;-)

Do you know any other PS fanatic down there?

Mariano

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

What's wrong with the temperatures?   :mrgreen:

I have not located more PS fanatic down here yet, but Florida is relatively well endowed with flying enthusiasts so I would not be surprised if there are a few.

Jeroen

Mariano

I happen to like moderately cold, rainy, low overcast, windy days. The weather in the West coast of Ireland is just perfect for me. I am not big in heat, sun, and the combination of heat and humidity. I live on the wrong latitude, I know! ;-)

Mariano

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I know I will want that weather back, eventually, but with winter coming up, it's still okay over here.

Jeroen

John Davis PC

When this new version of Visual PS1 starts up it puts PS1 into Pause mode also, which is a pain for me as I have keyboards switched over etc,  I know its not tug pausing it, can't see anything im missing or boxes left unchecked.   As I say I havent tried it with latest tug ... not blaming anyone ... as you know Mine and Matts sims run IPC 2.8 ... it could be a whole mess between New, Old and Middle age softwares we have to use ... LOL I still have vesion 12 which runs ok so no worries. :)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

VisualPS1: I remember there is some configurable timeout setting that determines when VisualPS1 decides that PS1 is in Pauze mode, or something. Could that also work the other way?

Jeroen

Garry Richards

Feedback - yippee!

I will look into it.  :D
Garry

John Davis PC

Knew we could rely on you Treebeard :)