News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Layout command synchronization?

Started by Kurt, Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:16

Kurt

Hi Hardy - all usb actions except layout commands are synchronized over the network from client to server direction . Any reason for layout commands only being synchronized from server to clients and not the other way around? Would be nice as I have all my yokes and throttles hooked up to a client and I want to use the usb assignment to change layouts.

Thanks
Best regards
Kurt

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Kurt,

is there any reason you connected your USB stuff to a client PSX? If the server PSX is in the same room, I would connect my USB stuff to the server.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Kurt

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:27Hi Kurt,

is there any reason you connected your USB stuff to a client PSX? If the server PSX is in the same room, I would connect my USB stuff to the server.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hi Hardy. Yes it is because of resourse issues when I use MSFS for outside view on my main PC linked to PSX via PSX.NET.WASM.

I had a 16 core 5950X (now crossgraded to a 5800X3D as it makes wonders in MSFS and DCS) paired with RTX 3090 and a RTX3060 and even so because of MSFS being extremely badly optimized I get untolerable stutters the more PSX instances (3) i loaded on the same PC. So I have changed strategy to make the FS2020 PC as clean as possible by moving the 3060 and two PSX client instances plus all PSX related applications to other PC´s (I still need one local PSX instance though as it handle the Windshield audio to main 85" TV, USB connections, Boost server and P6 CB panel)

I use the PC for FS2020 local cross country flying between PSX longhauls and need all my USB gear hooked up for that as well.

I will make some comparisons of stutter impact on FS2020 between running local PSX as a Boost Client only and acting as a combined PSX server and Boost server. If I dont see any noticeable difference then short term solution will probably be - as you suggest-  to move the server role back to the PSX instance on the main PC and maybe elevate one of the other PSX instances (on a third PC) to Boost client to minimize CPU/Memory resource impact (other than the obvious increased Ethernet traffic).

The best solution would be to remove PSX completely from the FS2020 PC but then I need to spin up yet another PC and pair it with a new front audio system as I currently use the speakers in th 85" TV for PSX windshield audio. ( I am running my cockpit on 9 touchscreens + 85"TV, 4 PSX instances on 3 PC´s to get full 6 channel PSX audio as laid out in the PSX manual as there is no audio output selection features implemented in PSX :D )

Will report back

Thanks

Best regards
Kurt

Robert Staudinger

Hi Hardy,

another reason to use USB with the client:

PC1 is a notebook as server, no USB. This PC1 I take with me to my secon home (holydayhouse).

PC2 at home as client complete with USB and sound connected and P3D.

PC3 in my second home with USB, audio and P3D very nearly the same configuration (screen size, etc).

So I just take my notebook with me, everything like situations and routes is with me and after connecting with the network everything works.

Very simple.

Regards Robert

Kurt

hi all - made some tests and the result is simple - removing PSX from the FS2020 PC is the only way to avoid additional stuttering.

Having a PSX instance being either a client, server or server plus boost, all increased stuttering noticeably but the scenario where I used PSX as a client only seemed to have slightly less stutter than any of the server/boost scenarios.

Would love the layouts to be synchronized both ways (also for the reasons Robert mentions above) but can easily fly with it as it is now :)

It really shows how badly optimized FS2020 is - hope FS2024 is MUCH better in that respect.

Happy easter
Best regards
Kurt

Gary Oliver

Kurt,

Just interested why you are running any PC instance at all on the FS2020 PC?  I couldn't quite follow but it seems you were talking about it needing to be a boost server for WASM?

The WASM module, Client and Router can all run across a network on different PC's (or same).

Cheers
Goli

Kurt

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:39Kurt,

Just interested why you are running any PC instance at all on the FS2020 PC?  I couldn't quite follow but it seems you were talking about it needing to be a boost server for WASM?

The WASM module, Client and Router can all run across a network on different PC's (or same).

Cheers
Goli

Hey Gary -

I was not aware the the WASM client could be on another PC (I have everything else incl router on the current server PC)- will test that out as well :D

Now I have the WASM client alongside FS2020 - that was my baseline testing and works perfectly fine - only caveat for me is that I am using the FS2020 PC on an 85" TV which also dubs as the audio channel for PSX windscreen audio which then need to be local alongside as there is no mixer/output routing differentiation in PSX (Would be nice as I have 2 PSX instances running on one PC but only possible to have one stereo channel from one instance)

As mentioned the best solution is to remove PSX completely but then I have to spin up yet another PC and get a new audio solution to handle the PSX windscreen sounds which actually would be nicer than the 85" sound.

Reflecting a bit  - then I think moving PSX off the FS2020 PC is exactly what I am going to do :D  (I then need to move the USB hub having all the Rudder, yoke and throttles between PSX server and FS2020 machine now and then but thats ok)

Cheers
Best regards
Kurt

Gary Oliver

Kurt,

Yep I run 4 WASM clients connected to the router in my setup over a network, don't worry it will make no difference to the smoothness.

Just edit the relevant line in the client.xml to point at the router

Cheers
Gary

cavaricooper

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:27Hi Kurt,

Regards,

|-|ardy

As with the gents above- I use a client on my MSFS PC also- with USB controls and Sounds ticked there. Has worked this way really well for years with Gary's kit. I have not observed the one way issue, as I do not sync Layouts (yet). Additionally, I can leave all my hardware connected all the time (for when I fly MSFS without PSX).

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Kurt

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Fri, 29 Mar 2024 23:30Kurt,

Yep I run 4 WASM clients connected to the router in my setup over a network, don't worry it will make no difference to the smoothness.

Just edit the relevant line in the client.xml to point at the router

Cheers
Gary

Hey Gary - tried over the easter break to get WASM client working on a PC remote from the FS2020 PC - never got it to work even though I have enabled windows file sharing on both PC´s and followed the installations instructions. Its not important as I just run the WASM client locally on the FS2020 PC - works absolutely fine  :D

After moving PSX.NET ground service to my PSX server machine I have several new issues but will post them in the correct topics not to polute this thread more than I have already done :D :D

Thanks
Best regards
Kurt

Hardy Heinlin

There's a logical problem:

Normally, at initial network connection, the client gets the server's current layout selection.

If I implement the feature discussed above, every client will also send its layout selection at initial network connection.

As every client will then have the same rights, every connecting client will send its current layout selection into the network at initial network connection.

I could program it so that at initial network connection just the server will send its current layout selection.

To be honest, I'm hesitating to make any modifications in this area. There's a risk of inconsistency and of infinite command loops too. To prevent this, I'll have to distinguish the final layout command sender from the network receiver, thus I'll have to set the network command sender in each of the 9-pack selectors, which are: The pop-up menu on the PSX frame, the joystick buttons, the keyboard numpad, the keyboard's upper numbers, and the layout buttons on the Instructor page. A bit too much work for me at the moment, and too much test time to avoid loops and other risks. I guess I'll discard the idea. I'm sorry!

Regards,

|-|ardy

Kurt

No worries - it's a minor thing anyway 👍
Best regards
Kurt