News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Pilots' opinions of the touch screen CDUs?

Started by Will, Sun, 10 Mar 2024 02:55

Will

I've never used a touch screen CDU, but they look bad to me... I can imagine fingers slipping around in turbulence and even in smooth air, a bit of uncertainty without the natural feel of pressing keys.

But I have never used one in real life, so this is all just conjecture on my part. I'm wondering if anyone reading this has ever flown with them in a real aircraft, and if so, what do you think? Are my worst fears borne out? Or do they have some hidden advantages that actually make them a welcome innovation?

Of course my opinion of them isn't great, but then I remember pilots' first reactions to the airbus sidesticks: near universal aversion initially, but now, a routine piece of equipment that justifiably has its fans.

Anyway, about the touch screen CDUs... What you think? Thanks.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We discussed this in the past, just to add to the memory bank. New pilot reactions still welcome!

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php/topic,7136.msg76795.html

IefCooreman

Touchscreens are new, they need to find their place on the flightdeck. We use them for our LPV system on some aircaft.

Some remarks:

* It doesn't really fit the SHELL model used in aviation (software-hardware-lifeware interface). The hardware design isn't adapted to the use and functionality, it is too neutral. In old aircraft with mods all around, we are pretty used to finding buttons and functionalities based on how switches and lights look and feel, not by reading what is written. That sounds stupid, but I have flown a 737 with GPS with the idea it hadn't a GPS just because the inop light was different in shape. This problem is not really present for FMC's I guess, only for mods with newly implemented systems.

* Another SHELL problem is the anchor point, but this is personal. It's like playing guitar, one finger on the right hand acts as an anchor point. Either my thumb or pinky will rest somewhere to provide a point of reference for my mind. I do the same on the FMC. On bigger screens my pinky keeps touching without wanting too...

* Distance and slant view is key. Our LPV screen is up front on the centre console and you need to bend forward and sideways a lot to reach it. On a touchscreen there is always a fear of hitting the wrong button and in a time sensitive environment my mind goes "just give me a button!".

* It messes with the universal remark for new guys & girls: "You can point put don't put your finger on the EFIS screens!" as the cleaning process is not fun :-)

But as a final remark...

We've been using iPads for years on the flightdeck now, never complained about touchscreen as the screen is pretty much next to your face :-). So placement is key.

United744

As someone with an interest in UI design (though it is not main job) touchscreens are a good addition if used correctly, but something like an FMS would still be best with a hardware keyboard.

As IefCooreman said above, it is a tactile and visual environment where instant recognition of a feature is key, through touch (different shapes/textures) and visual recognition of physical switch shape, size, and location.

Touchscreens utterly destroy this proven philosophy. There is absolutely no doubt they are harder to operate, and require you to LOOK at them to operate them. Not great at all. The other problem is while overall reliability may be higher, failure loses you a lot more.

Gulfstream took this idea to an extreme with their all-touch flight deck. Literally everything is a page on touchscreen, including the overhead.

It's all fun and games until the cockpit fills with smoke. You're dead.

jtsjc1

How about trying to use one in rough air? Ever try using a touchscreen on a bumpy road? It doesn't work well
Joe

United744

Quote from: jtsjc1 on Thu, 28 Mar 2024 22:23How about trying to use one in rough air? Ever try using a touchscreen on a bumpy road? It doesn't work well

Absolutely!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

One of the areas where consumer electronics, of course a major market, drives nearly everything elsewhere as well.

MRFarhadi

Mohammadreza Farhadi
Ex-pilot, current aerospace student

boeing747430

I am often complaining about the touchscreen of the EFB. Firstly, our older screens are not capacitive and often don't react well, and secondly turbulence. When the latter starts, I often want to switch charts, which becomes very hard. In aircraft with lots of "cursor" action, a proper handrest is there for a reason. Personally, not a fan of touchscreen keyboards in the cockpit.