News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

5L Door - Smoke Clearance

Started by DogsEarsUp, Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:56

DogsEarsUp

When I was Cabin Crew on 747-400 we had an interesting piece of emergency equipment. It was a strap system that could be used around the handle of Door 5L. It secured the door in a slightly open (cracked) position and the purpose was for cabin smoke clearance. The idea was that the aircraft descends to, say, 10,000ft or lower, depressurises and some brave cabin crew soul (probably me) cracks the door open and then with muscle from a couple of other crew attached the strap to keep the door in that position. Thank God I never had to use it, but I was curious as to whether -400 drivers knew about this and whether there is any recorded instance of it being used?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I think I remember reading that it was included in the abnormal procedures in case opening the outflow valves was not enough.

Mawea

Yes, it's still in the actual Smoke/ Fumes removal procedure 400 and 8. When Smoke or Fumes continues or is severe and source is determined to be in the cabin.

Fwd  1 L or R or aft section 2 L or R
and 5 L or R but we don't have any special equipment for the door. The Handle is not to rotate fully open just a notch.

Never heard of any actual occurrence.

*Edit ,,actual"

Magoo

It was a way to remove smoke from the cabin.

Will

The NTSB report from the ValueJet 591 crash in Florida (1996) has a section on smoke removal from the cabin of the DC-9, and from "other aircraft." The only other aircraft they mention is the 747, but they don't specify which model. This is from the DC-9:

1. Manually depressurize

2. Airspeed (Flaps and slats as required).............................160 to 250 KIAS

3. Right Forward Service Door Slide Girt Bar ...............DISENGAGE/STOW

4. Remove all loose items within 3 feet of door and ascertain that all passengers
are seated with seat belts fastened.

5. Right Forward Service Door.............................................UNLATCH

NOTE: High handle loads are required to unlatch door. When unlatched, allow
door to seek its own position against airstream. The door will remain
centered over the opening.

6. Passenger Aft Entrance Door................................UNLOCK AND OPEN

NOTE: Moderate high handle loads required to unlock door. Door will open
inward and airflow will sweep smoke forward.

They don't quote detailed procedures for the 747, but they mention that the procedures exist.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR9706.pdf
Will /Chicago /USA

Britjet

We had that smoke removal procedure. If we simulated smoke in the sim it got very convoluted because you had to "pretend" to brief the Senior Cabin Crew member.
Cue lots of disgruntled play-acting by the sim instructor!

DogsEarsUp

Quote from: Britjet on Mon,  4 Mar 2024 09:36Cue lots of disgruntled play-acting by the sim instructor!
Are sim instructors ever gruntled?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Sim persona are. Try waking up the guy in the bunk.

boeing747430

Doors 5 will open wide enough to put your hand out. The others only make noise.

IefCooreman

Quote from: DogsEarsUp on Mon,  4 Mar 2024 10:22Are sim instructors ever gruntled?

Yes, if you let him sleep... Short debriefs guaranteed as well :-)

United744

Quote from: boeing747430 on Wed,  6 Mar 2024 21:22Doors 5 will open wide enough to put your hand out. The others only make noise.
Was door 5 a different design to allow this?

DogsEarsUp

Quote from: United744 on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:26Was door 5 a different design to allow this?
Same design but as I remember more curvature due fuselage taper. Could be my bad memory