News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

CDU Database

Started by cavaricooper, Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:29

cavaricooper

Hardy-

Now that there are database cycle upgrades commercially available, would it be possible to have the actual correct database displayed on the CDU for those who pay for the subscription?

Perhaps it could be an option so that those who choose not to can still benefit from the current method?

Ta- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

You can see the date on the About page. The information is clearly there.

The IDENT page shows two dates that are one month apart.
This logic is important to be able to swap (simulated) databases on the IDENT page like in the real FMS.

There are many reasons I'll keep it as is. Another reason is the fact that the dates are stored in situ files which may contain old routes in the FMC LEGS and RTE pages. The simulated time and season (set on the Instructor) must be plausible as well. All this stuff must remain consistent.

Also it makes no sense to swap scenery objects by the IDENT page etc.

I can assure you I have long thought about the logical design of all this stuff and its context.

When you use real-world time and current real-world databases, your sim date will be real-time anyway and so will be the date on the IDENT page.

cavaricooper

I have never once thought you hadn't thought about something- ever!

:)

Thanks for the feedback- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Magoo

So where can I buy a new FMS database from?

MRFarhadi

Quote from: Magoo on Mon,  4 Mar 2024 01:17So where can I buy a new FMS database from?
Both Aerosoft (NavDataPro) and Navigraph sell them.
You can also make yourself a FAA generated publicly-available free-of-charge database using another standalone Java software Hardy has made, named "Navburo." The only problem with this method is coverage, which is limited to US only.
Mohammadreza Farhadi
Ex-pilot, current aerospace student

Will

I use the Navigraph subscription, because I also have Navigraph charts (Jeppesen) and I've grown to appreciate their moving map.

The navdata updates install seamlessly within PSX.

I believe Aerosoft's charts are LIDO, but their navdata also works perfectly with PSX.

Will /Chicago /USA

Magoo

But from Aerosoft they only have 2 products, the PSX sim and the FMS upgrade, I don't see the nav database package like I bought years ago.

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: Magoo on Mon,  4 Mar 2024 11:28But from Aerosoft they only have 2 products, the PSX sim and the FMS upgrade, I don't see the nav database package like I bought years ago.

Navigraph (https://navigraph.com) has monthly updates including jeppesen charts
Ton

cavaricooper

Navigraph is indispensable for me. If they add Vatsim to Charts they will be perfect!
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

MRFarhadi

Quote from: Magoo on Mon,  4 Mar 2024 11:28But from Aerosoft they only have 2 products, the PSX sim and the FMS upgrade, I don't see the nav database package like I bought years ago.
The Nav Database upgrade you bought was probably what has discontinued since.
The old regular Navigation Database would do the job well enough; the only catch is, it doesn't work on Mac. Their installer client is Windows only.
Navigraph gives you the added benefit of Simbrief and Navigraph Charts, while Aerosoft's data is more accurate than Navigraph's in the database realm.
Mohammadreza Farhadi

Magoo

Thanks,

Navigraph doesn't even mention PSX anywhere on its site so I'll give that one a miss.

I do have a windows computer floating around so perhaps I could just download from NavDataPro and copy and paste on my Mac?

MRFarhadi

Oh, Navigraph sure does mention PSX
Take a look here
Unfortunately, Aerosoft does not allow direct downloading. You'd need a Windows machine for NavDataPro.
Mohammadreza Farhadi

Hardy Heinlin

Here's Aerosoft's single nav dataset for just one cycle (no subscription required):

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/shop/flight/p3d-fsx/flight-simulator-x/tools-missions/1749/navdatapro-single-dataset?number=AS11684

"Aerowinx Precision Simulator" is on their list.

If you have a Windows computer, you can install PSX there and let Aerosoft's NavDataPro program generate its data in that PSX instance. Then do this:

1. In your Mac's Aerowinx folder rename Aerowinx/Navigation to Aerowinx/NavigationOLD (or whatever).
2. Copy the Navigation subfolder from your Windows PSX to your Mac PSX.

Regards,

|-|ardy