News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

MCP EICAS +2 EFIS Availability

Started by JG, Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:37

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: funkyhut on Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:08Their 777 is about to drop ...

What does "to drop" mean in this context? Release or cease?

andrej

Yes. To release a new version for MSFS.

As per Urban Dictionary:
Drop
1. To knock someone over, usually associated with the first hit in a fight.
2. To spend (generally a lot of) money; to buy something.
3. To release an album.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drop
Andrej

JG

Hi Seb, Alex and others looking in.

I had a look at spad.neXt and can't really see a way it would help me. To add some context, my MSFS runs a totally separate PC with Nvidia 4070ti graphics, and because of what it is and its innate ability to crash any machine it runs on.This is even when using the most prolific virus in PC land to run it, that is a windows operating system! This means that to get hat switches and mini-joysticks off my yokes that are connected to my separate PSX platform requires further hardware modification or some funky and as yet undiscovered software.
For windscreen change over, I run a totally separate PC for my PSX windscreen and use a simple off the shelf switch to change over the 2 main scenery monitors between it and the MSFS PC. Some times the PSX windscreen needs a layout reload because that PC hasn't remembered the monitor desktop positions. This is in spite of carefully setting up the windows settings to avoid this......but who knows why Microsoft products consistently give inconsistent results....you just become a master of circumventing the short comings. I usually leave this PC off unless needed anyway and have a switch in the cockpit to start it. It wakes as it should every time if the monitors are routed to connect with the PC. So I guess technically I press 2 switches so I can continue my flight.
Alex, I think you could probably set up a very lucrative cottage business making replica Korry's. I have ordered a couple of Omron A3P series switches to appro. The rectangular ones (19 x 26) do a 4 split screen and the square one (19 x 19) do a 2 split screen. I got the ones to appro for $A40 from Mouser. The lamps are the same as regular Korry's (T1.75 midget flange) and can be incandescent or LED. The Rafi 19 seems out of stock everywhere and in Aus, is priced the same as OC's finished solution. The Omron's aren't cheap either but 25% of the price of Korry's and may offer a solution to OEM guys looking to save a buck or struggling to find them. I haven't received them yet, but will report what I find. I know from the documents that some perimeter trimming would be needed for recessed Korry's, but  I think they might go straight in the hole for flush mount.
Cheers for now,
J.G.

QuadFan

JG,

I might have overlooked this (last) part of wat you wrote:
QuoteMSFS at the same time

I assumed you wanted to flip switches in MSFS only, which is where Spad.next might be of use. Both at the same time, not so much. The creator of Spad has PSX support somewhere on a list, but no guarantees. I'm in the process of selling all my Saitek stuff, so if they would be supported later on... oh well.

Thanks for clarifying about the forward screen(s).

Quote from: JG on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 03:01....but who knows why Microsoft products consistently give inconsistent results....you just become a master of circumventing the short comings.

It helps maintaining cognitive skills I suppose, maybe even consistently  ;D

For the buttons on your yokes, you might benefit from Macroflight's Python psxhacks: https://github.com/macroflight/psxhacks - I haven't used the scripts myself yet, but I intend to do so and de-couple the TCA yoke (or parts) from PSX.

QuoteI have ordered a couple of Omron A3P series switches to appro. The rectangular ones (19 x 26) do a 4 split screen and the square one (19 x 19) do a 2 split screen.

I had heard about the Rafi switches (via Hispapanels), but not those, so thanks for mentioning them. I do know that at the 737diysim.com site they have 3D printed ones (I ordered one to test fit in the OC MCP panel that is on its way, will report back.
They also seem to be using KD2-22 switches that are kind of cheap, from AliExpress. I'm in the process of buying a few of those too, so I can make an informed decision of what to use for my build.
Love this forum, sharing information and helping each other out. Good stuff  8)

In any case, as long as the lottery gods are not cooperating, original MCP's at $47500 can't be placed on the shortlist just yet  :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386875961460
Ebay link will expire; it lists an original spinning digits 747 MCP.

Cheers
Seb

JG

Hello All,
Forget the Omron switch, all I got for my $40 was a kit to turn a regular switch to a split screen one, once again the victim of confusing advertising....not a cheap option at all. I think unless you have the smarts to make your own Korry's that probably the Open Cockpits solution is a clear winner. When I ordered my MCP Korry's, Open Cockpits asked for screen shots of the buttons, I was delivered exactly what was asked for.
Cheers, J.G.

QuadFan

Good to know that OC can deliver on the 747-correct Korries, thanks JG. I'm mostly worried about the amount of them in the overhead panels  :)
Seb

asboyd

Quote from: JG on Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:28Hello All,
Forget the Omron switch, all I got for my $40 was a kit to turn a regular switch to a split screen one, once again the victim of confusing advertising....not a cheap option at all. I think unless you have the smarts to make your own Korry's that probably the Open Cockpits solution is a clear winner. When I ordered my MCP Korry's, Open Cockpits asked for screen shots of the buttons, I was delivered exactly what was asked for.
Cheers, J.G.

I tried several years ago to do the same with OC and they flat refused. They told me they could only supply the 737 labels... I guess they are feeling the bite of high shipping costs and have opened up a bit since then.

Not to worry, I built my own. Always knew the 3d printer I bought second hand would pay for itself :)

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

QuadFan

Today I received a Korry switch from 737diysim.com. It fits really snug in the OC MCP panel and I like the overall look and feel better than the OC Korry I think. I opted for the DIY variant which means I need to solder stuff on the included PCB. The PCB has a common ground for the switch and the two leds that are located in the switches.

@Alex, from what I understood the ground for the OC mastercard inputs are spread over the different groups of pins and they cannot be tied together; the outputs have their own ground too. Could you confirm this possibly?

Only downside I see with the 737diysim Korries is that the PCB has a common ground and the resistors for the LEDs are not integrated, they need to be placed elsewhere in the build. But the quality is really good  :)
Seb

asboyd

Hi Seb,
The OC Cards do have separate GNDs for groups of switches, the LED's are all one.
The easiest way to "add" a resistor is on the cable to the master card (if you are using the outputs card then one under each screw terminal works.

I have not tried a common LED GND and switch GND before.... may be worth a try if the korries are better. :)

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

QuadFan

Hi Alex,
I'm not sure about using the output card, I was thinking about creating my own PCBs that plug directly in the in and output connectors on the mastercard, in order to save space within the MCP box. It will be an undertaking though as I don't know much about designing PCBs :)

I measured the resistance between the different group GND pins, they're not interconnected and I am reluctant to try/fry it (the mastercard, that is)  ;D

Cheers
Seb

Iadbound

Not to get this discussion off track, but I have an FDS RCP.  However, because it was designed to fit into a pedestal (and I don't have a pedestal), it has no housing.  I would like to have a simple open-fronted box with a power and USB passthrough cutout for the back so I can put it in the box and place it on top of my MCP.  So, for those 3D printer experts or those who might know where to buy the right thing, are there any specifications for such a box that I could use to send out to a 3D print company or a place where I could buy the right thing?  Thanks!

Yes, I already asked FDS.

QuadFan

Iadbound, do you have a local hackerspace/makerspace? They might be able to assist you in designing a 3D printable housing for it - if you can spare the time to invest of course. I'm new to all this too, so can't help myself unfortunately.
Seb

Iadbound

Seb. Good question. I have no idea if there is such a group nearby. I'll take a look.