News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

MCP EICAS +2 EFIS Availability

Started by JG, Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:37

JG

Hello All,

I'm trying to source the above mentioned items for a cockpit build and as most would know the MCP/EICAS is unobtainable. With the vague possibility of substituting the available 737 EFIS panels as a solution, I'm wondering has anyone tried this and been successful? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this difficulty and I'm keen to hear what others have done in solution.....or maybe with enough interest we could persuade one of the manufactures who have made them in the past to do a limited manufacturing run? And of course anyone with any of these items for sale, please respond accordingly. I'm based in Australia.
Cheers, J.G. 

QuadFan

I'm interested in a 747 MCP as well. I currently have a CPFlight MCP737EL, but I consider selling it if I can get my hands on a decent 747 one. CPFlight has discontinued their 747 MCP because of 'decreased demand' as they put it at FSWeekend back in 2019  :-\

Too bad the market is flooded with 737 stuff, but 747 items are hard to source.
Seb

JG

Hi Seb,

I think the only solution at this point might be to build them. I'm thinking using the available 737 kits for EFIS panels but only using the physical switch contacts and rotary encoders to drive a Simulator Solutions backbone. Then build from scratch an MCP/EICAS with a laser etched front panel and again interface it with a Simulator Solutions electronics backbone .....it can then plug straight into the PSX network without fiddling with a multitude of 3rd party add on software not yet cluttering up my sim operation! It'll take time and probably help from the guys at Sim Solutions who have already supplied me a truly remarkable communications solution. I'll post some more info after I have definitly decided a course of action and had a chat with the talented Sim Solutions chaps.
JG.

andrej

Guys,
I am not sure if Flight Deck Solutions still offers B744 items, but it is worth contacting them. I have their CDU (actually two, one older and one newer version) and I am extremely happy with both (newer one is good for table as well as it is angled).

It is worth contacting them as to check if MCP + EFIS panels are available. They are not cheap, but worth it.

Thanks!
Andrej

QuadFan

Thanks for the insight JG & Andrej. I'm still working on a cockpit strategy since I bought PSX (just last year), which means I'll stop with 737 stuff as I like the 747 much more. As the lottery gods are not cooperating nicely, I'm thinking of a build that will take several iterations while providing the best 'value for money' in the meantime with the various components.

I currently have multiple obsolete iPads that work perfectly as CDU's for instance - no need to focus on a better CDU for now. A better MCP/EFIS solution and visuals are more important to me now, a VRInsight Combo II might be a good MCP fit for now.

I also considered building my own stuff, but I'm not sure if I'll manage. Designing PCB's is next level I think... On the other hand, I can be persistent too ;D
Seb

Ton van Bochove

Quote from: andrej on Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:40Guys,
I am not sure if Flight Deck Solutions still offers B744 items, but it is worth contacting them. I have their CDU (actually two, one older and one newer version) and I am extremely happy with both (newer one is good for table as well as it is angled).

It is worth contacting them as to check if MCP + EFIS panels are available. They are not cheap, but worth it.

Thanks!

I contacted them couple of months ago: they have no plans for producing the MCP. Maybe we could do a survey on the forum to see how many people are interested and than contact FDS.
Ton

andrej

Ton,
sorry to hear that. Somehow, I expected for FDS to have these items on hand.
You idea is good one, just wonder if there is sufficient demand (how many of us are there).

Cheers,
Andrej

JG

Andrej,

Thanks for posting, I had the impression from the FDS website they are really only interested in servicing commercial operations were they can turn over tens of thousands at a time, Since your first post I have enquired directly with FDS to see if they want to provide. I'll let you all know what I get back. I reckon if half a dozen or so of us hit them with an order we might get some joy.....so anyone wanting to look at this, please chime in!
J.G.

b744erf

I have an OEM MCP for sale. Actually I have three for now, one is installed in my simulator, the other two is for spare. But I am going to sell one of the spare OEM MCP, which is actually disassembled from G-CIVN.

JG

OK, you have my attention. I may be interested in buying that off you. Is it LCD or spinning digits? Do the OEM panels have the EICAS switching as well? Let me know your preferred method of getting in touch. I don't run Skype anymore, but can probably download it if that's what you want to do.

J.G. YBCG

Ton van Bochove

Quotethey have no plans for producing the MCP.

I did not quote them correctly: the focus is on complete systems but an upgrade of the MCP will probably be in the future
Ton

b744erf

Quote from: JG on Sun, 18 Feb 2024 06:20OK, you have my attention. I may be interested in buying that off you. Is it LCD or spinning digits? Do the OEM panels have the EICAS switching as well? Let me know your preferred method of getting in touch. I don't run Skype anymore, but can probably download it if that's what you want to do.

J.G. YBCG
Hello JG. I don't have Skype neither. My email is a good way.
B744ERF at 163 dot com

SwissMark

CockpitMaster offers a new built 747 MCP. I have their MCP737 and use it adapted to the 744.

With 3D print technology,PSX et all I am confident a cost sensitive solution can be made for scaled down trainers, similar to what CP Flight offers for their 737 Trainer modules.
Keep the blue skies up!
B744F N475MC

QuadFan

Quote from: SwissMark on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:56CockpitMaster offers a new built 747 MCP. I have their MCP737 and use it adapted to the 744.
I was looking for this on their site, but couldn't find it. Is there a direct link that you can share?
Seb

SwissMark

https://www.cockpit-master.com/index.php?id=3454

I am confident they will continue to launch further hardware for the 747. Mind you they are also focused on the 744.

Aside from above, I am in talks with a lad in the UK who 3d prints panels for any sims...
I asked for the light panel like and he could do that. In time, there will be more opportunities.

Keep the blue skies up!
B744F N475MC

SwissMark

Keep the blue skies up!
B744F N475MC

QuadFan

Thanks @SwissMark - Didn't know about their 747 CDU yet, so it's nice to know about it. I was looking for a 747 Mode Control Panel though ;)
Seb

JG

Ok, this is what I have found as at March 2024 after several weeks of looking. FDS is not able to supply to enthusiasts at this time, below is Peters reply to me,
"John,
We had to do an abrupt shift in this type of product and will be focusing on the high end pieces going forward. Our focus shifting so heavily to commercial has also pushed us to go higher.
We likely won't see enough production on MCP/EFIS until the end of the year.
Peter."
Hispanels can supply many panel only products for the Overhead and Pedestal, but nothing for the glareshield.
Open Cockpits has many panel products, including EFIS, MCP and EICAS that are 744 specific, the way to these on their website is obscure and I found it by accident and never found it again doing a normal search, here is the link,<https://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/panels-components-mount-glareshield-c-87_97_98.html> . They also have 744/767 specific ready built EFIS modules that can interface to PSX via PSXSeeecon if you can find it....as it appears to no longer be supported. I am ordering the 744 panels I need from OC's, along with the Korry Switches.
If you can afford to go OEM and actually find the panels, your quickest way to a working system is via Rod at Simulator Solutions in Australia, it has been my experience to date there really isn't anything they can't do! I now have an OEM MCP I will have interfaced when I get the rest of the bits. Because that may be a long way off, I'm going to build my own stuff, hopefully with a Simstack backbone for seamless integration to PSX.
Cheers all J.G.

JG

What a drag,
After doing lots of research, and finding obscure interface software from anywhere it could actually be found, Thank you Asboyde.... I decided to try out the Open Cockpit EFIS panels. After reading the advertising, and as much as possible about SIOC and the bridging software and with it having an auto setup feature, it seemed feasible I could make the panels talk to PSX......WRONG! 
I now have 2 x Open Cockpit 744 EFIS panels that are useless. Several things disappointed immediately, the fact they are just the 737 ones with a different colour front panel I guess should have been obvious, but they don't have CTR, Traffic, Radio/Baro or Inches/Hpa select.....Which is really disappointing when the advertising leads one to believe they are fully functional. I should also mention to anyone else venturing down this road who isn't Spanish,that you  may struggle with the documentation, in spite of best efforts at translation.
If your Australian, also be prepared to pay unreasonably high taxes and duties at arrival of the goods in the country. With freight, weak exchange rates and frustration, the exercise really has been very expensive.
Is there anyone out there who has managed to get these EFIS panels to work with PSX? If so can you please tell me how you did it? As stated the PSXseecon and PSXcockpit softwares I'm trying to use appear to be unsupported, So I guess I got what I deserve. But when faced with no other alternatives, you just gotta try.
On a brighter note the other panels(MCP/EICAS) I bought from Open Cockpits seem nicely made, but they are panels only.........if only you could actually buy this stuff working and just plug it in!
So stage one of going tactile instead of touch screen.....Big Fail! Hopefully I'll have better luck with SimStack.
Cheers all, J.G.

asboyd

Hi J. G.
Are these the prebuilt EFIS panels?
If so then you can use the PSXCockpit OCMSetup information and app. Check Nick's included document.
I have one and it does work to s dgree, hence my decision to use hame made panels that interface via OC master cards. No pre-made stuff as only the FMC's seem to be OK (even if they don't have backlighting).
Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia