News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

macOS Sonoma 14.1 sound issue.

Started by Magoo, Mon, 30 Oct 2023 01:03

Magoo

Greetings,

I still can't run PSX with sound on with the latest IOS. I'm on a MacBook Air M2 2023 but if the sound box is checked in preferences, the sim will not start, I get the yellow box about double clicking and it crashes at 31%. I get it started with no sounds after fiddling with the Default.pref file but still can get the sound on when started.

Anyone knows a fix for this?

Guy13

Hi,

PSX runs without problem on my Mac mini M1 SONOMA 14.1 with:
Java Runtime Environment version: 1.8.0_391
What version of Java do you have?
I encountered this problem at 31% with Ventura, everything returned to normal by keeping only this single version 8 of Java installed.
Guy

Magoo

Hi Guy13,

Thank you very much, I was running the wrong Java versions, JDK 21, I also had JDK 17 installed, Got rid of them both and now it's running with sounds. Again many thanks for taking the time to respond!

wcursino

Having the same issue with the Sound and app crashing at 31%.

Macbook Pro using MacOS Sodoma 14.1
java version "1.8.0_381"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_381-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.381-b09, mixed mode)

---

Suggestions?

wcursino

still the same problem with java 8 391...
---
java version "1.8.0_391"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_391-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.391-b13, mixed mode)

joergalv

I have no issues on my MBP (Intel) with Sonoma 14.1
However I found that the MacOS -> system settings -> Sound  can make a difference..
I have to keep the device for 'Sound Effekts'  AND  for 'Output' set to MacBook Pro Speakers, to get PSX sounds.
When playing with different sound device settings, PSX load stopped once at 31%... but did not crash.
I discovered this was due to a popup Window - hidden in the background - asking me to grant java access to my microphone. When I accepted that, PSX load continued..
So it might be worth to check whether System settings -> Data Protection & Security -> Microphone On/Off has any affect.

Joerg

Guy13

Is Java 8 the only version installed? in my case I had to uninstall the other Java versions.

Guy

joergalv

In my case, according to the Java Control Panel, it is the only one.

wcursino

Finally, back in business for me. Not sure what did the trick.

---
- Uninstall all the java I had in local.
- Install only JRE 8_391 (simply download here https://www.java.com/en/download/)
- Disable the Sounds->Play User Interface Sound Effects

Didn't work initially, restart the Mac and tried again, it worked.

As the Mx likes to put in the logbook when they don't know what fixed:  "on ground check okay"

Magoo

For me it was uninstalling all the other javas I had except for version 8 that fixed it!

FlyItLikeYouStoleIt

On a MacBook Pro M1 and Sonoma 14.1.1, using the ARM64 version of Java (jre-8u391-macosx-aarch64.dmg) I get the yellow box and a halt and crash at 31% if sound is enabled, as described by others above.

However when I uninstalled this version of Java and instead used the so-called Intel version (jre-8u391-macosx-x64.dmg) then PSX started satisfactorily with sound enabled.

The "Intel" version of java is actually a universal binary with both arm64e and x64 architectures, so I am not even sure that it is running in Rosetta2 mode. Nevertheless, it works.

FlyItLikeYouStoleIt

Quote from: FlyItLikeYouStoleIt on Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:45so I am not even sure that it is running in Rosetta2 mode.

It is indeed running under Rosetta 2, according to Activity Monitor.