News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

A few more questions before a potential purchase

Started by QuadFan, Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:27

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Success with that!
And as you already discovered, this Forum is a friendly bunch and will help you out if needed.

Hoppie

B747-400

QuadFan

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:05And as you already discovered, this Forum is a friendly bunch and will help you out if needed.
Indeed a friendly bunch, very welcoming!

Currently investigating why PSX isn't showing on my mac (Windows working fine, I suspect Java version/cli only maybe) and why my Saitek stuff isn't recognized. In fact no USB devices are showing at all  :)

I did create my custom 9-pack already and have taken off from a .situ file. Good stuff!
Seb

QuadFan

Mac stuff fixed, I was using an ARM JRE. It works with an Intel JRE, but less optimal (good enough though).
Seb

nimsu87

I own all of the addons you've mentioned Quad, and the sims. I own all of the current PMDG line of products and addons. I own FSlabs, Majestic, AirlinetoolsA3xx, Elite, name it and I probably have it (if it fits the now generously used high fidelity addon category). Basically thousands of £s worth of software. It's only quite recently that I've realised that what interests me in aviation, is not so much flying these machines, as much as being awe inspired that a human can make what is a marvel of engineering. Hardy has made a product that caters to both. I don't use psx for line flights, I like to see how each system interacts with each other and how it responds during failures too etc.

For what you are getting I think that PSX is extremely good value for money. As I said once before, the only thing I miss in this upgrade of PSX from PS1 is the high quality heavy weight paper ringbound manual that was included in PS1.

If you love the 747 you will love this.
I got my first copy of PS1@13. I am 35 and own PSX. I don't think I will ever fully grasp the intricacies and engineering of this manmade structure It transcends a 'machine/vehicle'.I think if AI were to become sentient it would have happened already by now (pick your favourite post 1980s airliner)

QuadFan

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:02You may want to check this first:
https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php/topic,5984.0.html

Thanks, I will have a look at that!

Currently doing my first flight departing from EHAM 36L. I am loving this, what a great product! I love how it all works and the system depth. Like, I couldn't figure out why I didn't see anything out of the window and why the nose cargo door wouldn't close... My power config was wrong obviously and when the door was closing, it turned out it was blocking my view  ;D  ;D

Just started injecting my RealTraffic, too. Of course that works like a charm as well. I sure know how I will be spending a lot of my future time.

Thank you Hardy, for such a great product!
Seb

QuadFan

Quote from: nimsu87 on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:26For what you are getting I think that PSX is extremely good value for money. As I said once before, the only thing I miss in this upgrade of PSX from PS1 is the high quality heavy weight paper ringbound manual that was included in PS1.

I think so too.

Quote from: nimsu87 on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:26If you love the 747 you will love this.

I am already loving this SO much!!

This weekend I'll fool around with connecting MSFS, but frankly that will be mostly for taxi, takeoff and landing. Cruise is fine as it is, without.
Seb

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

... wait until he discovers the TCP link ...

QuadFan

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:36... wait until he discovers the TCP link ...
I was already pulling my Simbrief flightplan via ACARS, injecting traffic with RealTraffic and connecting my laptop (as a client) to my desktop. Working all very nicely! Are there more networking secrets to be discovered? :)
Seb

Kurt

Quote from: QuadFan on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:59I was already pulling my Simbrief flightplan via ACARS, injecting traffic with RealTraffic and connecting my laptop (as a client) to my desktop. Working all very nicely! Are there more networking secrets to be discovered? :)

- My 2 cents if you want to build a full size cockpit quickly and on a nice and easy budget - touchscreens on networked old PC´s (or "just" 8 touchscreens on one windows 11 PC like I have :D 5950x CPU , one 3090 and one 3060 GPU)

I have tried to build a home cockpit for 22 years since buying PS1 back in 2001 - lots of old 14" crt's monitors gathering dust back in 2010th.. - big and complex route with replica hardware - newer succeeded.  I have now settled with 8 pcs of 24 inch Dell touch monitors covering the whole PSX 744 layout except I have the P6 cirquit breakers on a separate 27" touchscreen dubbing also as instructor panel. Ideally overhead with all CB´s etc covers 4 monitors in total but for now I have settled with 2 pcs of 24inch monitors for that with a physical switch to change between upper and lower half. (Normal Overhead and CB´s + maintenance)

So in esseence I have ALL of the 744 cockpit COMPLETELY available on the touchscreens and only real physical HW is a 747 MCP with EFIS and DUAL EICAS from Aerosoft (discontinued 20 years ago but works perfectly thanks to John Golin :D - not really needed as touchscreen just works soooo good :D ), Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke with dual Boeing Throttles and on top their absolute magnificent Pendulum rudders.

Currently PSX is linked to MSFS2020 as outside visuals via the PSX.NET.WASM module mentioned above on a single 65inch tv - ambition to have 2 more TV´s to cover left and right outside view. Furthermore Vatsim and the full BACARS and PSX.NET suite.

Once you go PSX there is no way back if you are into fidelity !!!!

Welcome :D

Cheers

Kurt

Best regards
Kurt

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: QuadFan on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:59Are there more networking secrets to be discovered? :)

Start here ...
https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php/topic,1570.0.html

I have to admit that when we began adding this kind of networking to PS1 in the 2000s it laid the foundation of my current job...

QuadFan

Quote from: Kurt on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:23- My 2 cents if you want to build a full size cockpit quickly and on a nice and easy budget - touchscreens on networked old PC´s (or "just" 8 touchscreens on one windows 11 PC like I have :D 5950x CPU , one 3090 and one 3060 GPU)

I have tried to build a home cockpit for 22 years since buying PS1 back in 2001 - lots of old 14" crt's monitors gathering dust back in 2010th.. - big and complex route with replica hardware - newer succeeded.  I have now settled with 8 pcs of 24 inch Dell touch monitors covering the whole PSX 744 layout except I have the P6 cirquit breakers on a separate 27" touchscreen dubbing also as instructor panel. Ideally overhead with all CB´s etc covers 4 monitors in total but for now I have settled with 2 pcs of 24inch monitors for that with a physical switch to change between upper and lower half. (Normal Overhead and CB´s + maintenance)
That's great feedback, I might as well go this route (for starters anyway ;) ). What type of Dell monitors are you using? I might check that out as well and I'd rather use a known proven setup  8)

Quote from: Kurt on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:23Once you go PSX there is no way back if you are into fidelity !!!!

Welcome :D

I suspect it'll be like that for me too :D

Thanks!

Seb

QuadFan

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:55I have to admit that when we began adding this kind of networking to PS1 in the 2000s it laid the foundation of my current job...
That must be nice, being able to steer your career with what you like to do :)

Ofcourse there's the risk that it becomes 'work' too much, maybe...
Seb

Kurt

Quote from: QuadFan on Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:02That's great feedback, I might as well go this route (for starters anyway ;) ). What type of Dell monitors are you using? I might check that out as well and I'd rather use a known proven setup  8)

I suspect it'll be like that for me too :D

Thanks!

It definitely takes out a lot of complexity as the network interfacing of PSX sessions simply just works without any hassle.

The Dell monitors I use is the P2418HT with 3 slim bezels - unfortunately Dell has recently discontinued this cheap model and replaced it with a more expensive version. Market seems vacuumed of this now ... :(  I know Acer, Philips and HP still have almost similar models in their current lineup though.

Before venturing into a full setup I recommend you to try on just one touch monitor and see how that feels to you.

Ideally you want 34" touch monitors if you want to use MCP/EFIS/EICAS as touch and still keep exact lifesize scale. I am compromising a bit and having the whole MIP distributed on 3 pcs of 24" monitors and the physical MCP on top.

Enjoy the ride :D

Kurt

Best regards
Kurt

QuadFan

Quote from: Kurt on Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:21It definitely takes out a lot of complexity as the network interfacing of PSX sessions simply just works without any hassle.

The Dell monitors I use is the P2418HT with 3 slim bezels - unfortunately Dell has recently discontinued this cheap model and replaced it with a more expensive version. Market seems vacuumed of this now ... :(  I know Acer, Philips and HP still have almost similar models in their current lineup though.

Before venturing into a full setup I recommend you to try on just one touch monitor and see how that feels to you.

Ideally you want 34" touch monitors if you want to use MCP/EFIS/EICAS as touch and still keep exact lifesize scale. I am compromising a bit and having the whole MIP distributed on 3 pcs of 24" monitors and the physical MCP on top.

Enjoy the ride :D

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I'll dive into this a bit later. A quick search shows that there's not much to be found on Ebay or the local ad sites :)

Interesting nonetheless... I'll have to prioritise my next investments, I was also eyeballing the Thrustmaster yoke, TQ and pedals :)

I'm completely sold on PSX though, this will be my primary sim in the foreseeable future. Even made a bit of progress with connecting MSFS.
Seb

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: QuadFan on Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:23That must be nice, being able to steer your career with what you like to do :)
Ofcourse there's the risk that it becomes 'work' too much, maybe...

... here comes the detour ...

Since I got to study engineering (TU/e) I always secretly wanted to go into aviation software or something (train control, also okay) but that turned out to be remarkably difficult. There are very few companies doing this and I had no clear path to any of them. So alongside my real job I did lots of hobby work where I could do what I wanted to do, including design work instead of just "do this".

When my official career spiraled down in the 2000-2010 time period due to me working for the wrong university for my skills and interests and then getting stuck in the swamp of large EU research projects, I increasingly looked for an escape but nothing worked. I almost started as a hired consultant for a startup but bailed out in time to not sink with it.

Just at that moment I got increasing attention for my ACARS and other work around the heavyweight simulator scene from the semi-professional and professional aviation world. Companies like Precision Flight Controls had desktop MCDU and other stuff that desperately needed software. Slowly I got known in that area and eventually I was contacted by an avionics company in Miami that looked for MCDU control software to stick into their airborne Iridium SATCOM gear. From there on it sped up and in 2011 I burned the bridges and hauled my family to Florida.

It was supposed to be a five year stint, but it dragged on and became 12 years. I had about four days in that period that I didn't want to go to work in the morning. It never got old. I still like my job like nothing else, including the sort of family of fellow madmen (and madwomen) around me at that company.

However 12 years in South Florida didn't do my family very well and we decided to return to the old continent. Then COVID hit and a few years were involuntarily added to our stay here. Finally we decided a year ago that we wanted to make it "before 2024" and here we are -- moving to Lisboa, Portugal in December.

I will remain firmly attached to my current employer, only remotely, with all challenges that brings. But it is technically possible, for the same reason that PSX can technically be linked up over the ocean. It's the same tech...

So. Here we come.

Hoppie

Kurt

Quote from: QuadFan on Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:19I was also eyeballing the Thrustmaster yoke, TQ and pedals :)

I have all of those as well - especially the pendulum rudder is as good as it gets. The yoke is also nice but a bit clumsy to install in a replica cockpit. (I am using a pole bolted to a metal plate on the floor on which the rudders are also mounted. Top of the pole is mounted to a plate to attach the yoke it self)

The throttles (2 pieces of boeing TQ) are a bit flimsy and plasticky but the 6 axises (Spoilers, 4 throttles and flaps) are amazing !! Thrustmaster has done an good job by using hall sensors on all of these products.

Cheers

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

QuadFan

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:51... here comes the detour ...
;D 

That is quite the story, Hoppie! Yeah - unfulfilling jobs are the worst. Looks like you created opportunities for yourself and got it turned around nicely 8)

I don't think many people can say they didn't feel like going to work for just 4 days in 12 years. I know I can't. It must be great that you can continue the same job from another place across the pond. Good luck with the move!

Thanks for sharing!
Seb

QuadFan

Quote from: Kurt on Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:29I have all of those as well - especially the pendulum rudder is as good as it gets. The yoke is also nice but a bit clumsy to install in a replica cockpit. (I am using a pole bolted to a metal plate on the floor on which the rudders are also mounted. Top of the pole is mounted to a plate to attach the yoke it self)

The throttles (2 pieces of boeing TQ) are a bit flimsy and plasticky but the 6 axises (Spoilers, 4 throttles and flaps) are amazing !! Thrustmaster has done an good job by using hall sensors on all of these products.

It's all on my (growing) wishlist. Right now I have most of the Saitek stuff and a 737 MCP from CPFlight. I wish they'd still make the 747 one...

Your point about the hall effect sensors is spot on, I have a lot of noise with the Saitek axis. Not all simulators handle it well. I need to look into my rudder pedals tomorrow as I can't get them to work with PSX, but that's me overlooking something I'm sure.

Seb