News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Suddenly allergic to Logitech mouse plastic

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:29

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

is anybody using a Logitech mouse built circa 2022?

I've been using these mice for 20 years without problems. I've got a new one, and when I use it for an hour I see red stains on the skin of my palm. It takes a couple of days until they disappear.

Maybe they changed the chemical mix of the plastic.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Will

I've never had this problem.

Plastics leach compounds out over time; maybe your current mouse was made with a bad batch of plastic and it's releasing high amounts of some kind of irritant.

Simple solution: get another mouse (cheap!) and see if the issue persists, or splurge for a mouse made of metal or ceramic.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

I already bought three of them because they were under 10 Euro :-) It's an M100.

I buy them on a regular basis, like socks, because the click switch stops working after a couple of years. But this M100 model is just the most ergonomic mouse for my hand, and it's cheap anyway. On the other hand, I must admit, I shouldn't buy so much plastic garbage.

I will retry to get used to my Apple mouse -- without getting a muscle cramp ...

Will

If the other M100s haven't caused you problems, then my guess is that your current one comes from a batch where something in the plastic recipe didn't stick.

I had a metal mouse once, and I wouldn't do it again. It was a gift, and was supposedly a "five star" device, but it wasn't comfortable to use. It was sturdy though, and very easy to clean.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hessel Oosten

It's not necessary that the ingredients changed.
Allergy can build up in years due to exposure the same allergen.

In the link below we can see a glimpse of your.. hands...  ;)

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/computer-mouse-dermatitis#:~:text=Irritant%20contact%20dermatitisis%20the,hand%20may%20also%20be%20seen.

Hessel

Hessel Oosten

Hardy,

May be it's a possibility to contact:
Marjolein Wintzen and/or  Esther J. Van Zuuren,
authors of the article in the link below (with email address)
They are dermatologists and are interested in this kind of dermatitis.

A really good advice seems especially important for someone in your business!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1034/j.1600-0536.2003.00085.x

H.

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you, Hessel.

It's OK now with my Apple mouse ...

:-)