News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Oil and hydraulic fluid levels management

Started by Bastien, Wed, 31 May 2023 19:31

Bastien

Hello there.

Hardy,

I've a question/request about oil and hydraulic fluid management.

Actually the engines oil level and hyd. systems fluid levels are stored in the situ file.
we can set any value, but when we load the sim, if there is not any fault (leak) active, the levels automatically refills to the max within seconds.

Would it be imaginable to let the levels as they are stored in situ files when we load and run the sim ? (As I saw in older posts, no need to simulate oil/hyd. consumption over the time, just do not refill them continually by default.)
Objective behind that is to be able to manage oil and hyd. fluid levels without the necessity to set a malfunction that induce a leak.

-To refill them we could just use the concerned system malfunction "activate/repair" sequence  and/or malfunction "reset" to set the max levels.
-Or another option could be to add this possibility in the instructor>situation>service page and refill oil levels from existing (or new) buttons  ?

PSX is a systems training sim and for some of us it's also a full mission sim ;)
Kind Regards,
Bastien

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Bastien,

not sure I understand the purpose :-) If you want to get "refill" conditions on the EICAS during preflight, why not just activate those "leak" malfunctions in non-severe mode? In non-severe mode the level drops just slightly below the refill limit.

Whether you modify a situ file or activate that malfunction, the refill job can only be done by the "Repair" button anyway.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The (stone age) PS1 Flightline web site that gave situation files a life cycle did this, but it was more a gimmick. Each flight the relevant fluid levels (incl. oxygen) would be dropped a bit until they went below a set maintenance limit, and then when you picked up the airplane again, your maintenance log would indicate that x and y and z were performed. So you never needed to manage anything but you did get the indicators moving between flights. I'm not sure what a PSX native implementation of this would do, except possibly that dropping of levels over time followed by an auto-refill when you return to the .situ file.

Hoppie

Bastien

hello,

The main purpose is to be able to have a persistant state of fuilds levels and open perspectives to set some maintenance tasks and followup for those interested in. (via addons or manually)

I'm aware of the possibilities offered by the malfunctions already available but, even the minor one, set levels very low and fully impact operations and need immediate correction actions.
With persistant levels we could imagine to set level between max and the malfunction positions state

Hardy do you agree to my observations; right now if I lower the engine 1 oil level to 70% in the situ file and there is no active leak malfunction set = the level reset automatically to the max after situ loading and sim start ?
If yes, the only modification needed would be : stop automatic refill when sim is running and no leak malfunction is active.

There is no need to get consumption/loss modeled during the simulation runtime but the level defined in the situ should stay until we do Fault/repair.
With this "solution" there no consequences for people who don't care to manage these levels as the sim continues to act as it used to do, but open possibilities.

Kind Regards,
Bastien

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Bastien,

the suggested modification is too risky for me. It's not as trivial as in PS1. The hydraulic quantity is variable during normal operations and influenced by temperature and gear transits. The malfunction status is just one of multiple parameters within the algorithm. The reset function must be absolutely reliable on network connection and situ loading. I don't want to risk any side effects here. The engine oil stuff is similar.

I'm sorry!

Regards,

|-|ardy

Bastien

hello Hardy
no worries!
I imagine and understand easily that my vision is somewhat simplistic :)

Kind Regards,
Bastien