News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

USB Joystick not connecting

Started by Magoo, Wed, 26 Apr 2023 09:42

Magoo

Hi all,

I've just upgraded from a MacBook Air 2012 to a MacBook Air 2019 laptop which only has USB C port so I have to use an adapter to connect my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick to use with PSX.
The laptop recognises the joystick but PSX doesn't.I used to use this Joystick with no issues on my previous Macbook.

I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Any ideas about fixes?

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

what is displayed on Instructor > Preferences > USB?

What's indicated in the text file Aerowinx/Developers/USB-Detect.txt?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Magoo

Hi Hardy,

Just realised, wrong title, It's the joystick not connecting.
Yes, USB tick mark checked.
USB detection test:
blank after the statement.

Thank you.

Hardy Heinlin

How does your old MacBook Air 2012 indicate that the joystick is recognized?

Does this old indication differ in any way from the indication in your new laptop?

Just trying to analyse the difference ...

Magoo

Using system report in "about this Mac"
USB 3.0 bus

Old Mac vs New

All the same data except for the Host Controller Driver with is different perhaps due to different MacOS.

Hardy Heinlin

What Host Controller Drivers are in your old and new Macs?

Magoo

Sorry Hardy, couldn't tell you.
As no one else is chiming in I guess this might be specific to my computer/joystick combo and not about Catalina.

Hornbeam

May I join this thread?
I have been using PSX on Mac (Ventura 13.3.1 OS) with just the computer keyboard, and it is working well.

I have just taken delivery of the Fulcrum flying yoke which connects via USB.
My Mac sees the Yoke under its USB device listing, but PSX does not see the Yoke. USB is ticked enabled in the Instructor screen, but the PSX loading screen says no USB device detected.
I have searched for basic setting up tutorials, but cannot see one. What to do next?

Secondly, I purchased PSX on 23 April this year from the Aviation Megastore in Amsterdam, but my PSX says version 10.137 and I notice your updates are now up to 10.168. Do I just download the latest update, or do I need to download each one since 10.137?

Please excuse my computer ignorance.

Hardy Heinlin

Sure, you're in the right thread :-)

Perhaps your USB device has no name. You may try this:

Please load the file Aerowinx/Preferences/Default.pref with a text editor and search for this line:

UsbUnknownIncl=0

Replace the 0 with 1:

UsbUnknownIncl=1

Save the file, restart PSX and check if PSX detects your USB hardware now.

For the latest PSX update just download the latest Aerowinx.jar file and overwrite your old Aerowinx.jar with it.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hornbeam

Many thanks Hardy, it is brilliant that you are there to answer questions.

I did what you suggested; I changed the line UsbUnknownIncl=0 to UsbUnknownIncl=1, and then saved the default file and then read it again to check that it had correctly saved with UsbUnknownIncl=1, and it has.

However, when I reload PSX, it still says no USB devices detected as it is loading.

The MAC can see the Yoke and knows its name: "Fulcrum One Yoke", under USB devices.

I will try to load the latest version of PSX next, and maybe that will help.

Hornbeam

I have loaded PSX 10.168 but still the same - the Mac sees the yoke, but the PSX doesn't.

Hardy Heinlin

What's indicated in the text file Aerowinx/Developers/USB-Detect.txt?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hornbeam

Good morning Hardy.

USB-Detect.txt just has : "USB detection test:" at the top of a blank white panel.

Moving the Yoke brings nothing up on this screen.

I have plugged the yoke into an old Windows lap-top and it sees the yoke straight away and I can observe the yoke movements and switch presses on the test page facility Windows has - showing the X,Y yoke movement and switch presses.

So the yoke is good. The Apple Mac sees the yoke and reads its name. But the PSX says 'USB controls disconnected' on the small initial loading screen.

Regards.

Hardy Heinlin

Good morning Hornbeam,

are you using a Corsair mouse or keyboard by chance?

If so, here's a helping thread:
https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php/topic,5984.0.html

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hornbeam

No, a Bluetooth Apple mouse, and a USB HP keyboard, (long story)..

So I disconnected the keyboard from the iMac, so the only USB device connected to the iMac was the yoke, and then I started PSX. Sadly, PSX still says 'USB controls disconnected'.....

Time for a cup of tea.

Hardy Heinlin

Unfortunately, I don't know what else might help ...

Have you used other sticks before and did they work in PSX? (Just to test whether it's a Fulcrum specific issue.)

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I don't know the answer.

However looking on the intarwebs I found a suggestion that may hold a clue.

"I had to right-click on Microsoft flight simulator in the Steam library, went to properties, controller and there disabled Steam input. MSFS immediately found the Fulcrum one Yoke afterwards."

So it is possible that another program already owns the stick and thereby makes it invisible to other programs on the same PC. Steam, for example, is typically one of these things that tend to run all the time without need, "just for convenience".

Hoppie

Hornbeam

Hello Hoppie and Hardy.

I only have PSX on this iMAC, no other games, no other users of yoke or joystick.

I am (trying to) use Aerowinx B744 PSX with a Fulcrum yoke. I have only used PSX with the standard computer keyboard so far, no other sticks or yokes.

The iMac sees the Fulcrum yoke and knows it by name. The PSX does not see the yoke.

The yoke works on an old Windows lap-top.

I have no idea what 'Steam' is - I only have the standard Apple Apps, apart from PSX, Shapr3D, which is a CAD program, and Cura, which is a 3D printer slicer programme - none of which use a yoke or joystick.

PSX is the only programme installed that I use a yoke for, nothing else.

I need this to work to fly manually using raw data; with no automatics. It is very very difficult to fly on just the keyboard.

Hornbeam

I found a 2014 thread on this forum about USB joysticks not being seen by PSX. That was suggesting a conflict from bluetooth keyboards and mice that prevented them being recognised by PSX as a keyboard or a mouse, and this somehow clogs up the PSX USB port ??

Anyway, I dug out an old USB cabled mouse, (and am already using an old USB cabled keyboard)> Then I told the Apple Mac to forget all the bluetooth keyboards and mice and loaded PSX again.

PSX still does not see the yoke but the MAC still does.

Somebody must have solved this problem in the intervening 9 years?

Hardy Heinlin

"Steam" is a video game digital distribution service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(service)

The USB Java interface in PSX is a third-party software piece that lies outside my control, regrettably. I can't debug or modify it myself. The interface was last updated in 2015.

That 2014 thread was about a problem that I later solved by introducing the "UsbUnknownIncl" option in the PSX pref files. Unfortunately, it's not solving this Fulcrum problem ...

Hoppie's hint re "Steam" is still valid, I think. It means this Fulcrum yoke might include something special that other yokes don't. And that might be something that Apple's new Ventura system blocks when the Fulcrum sends signals to a Java application. -- Question: When the Fulcrum worked on your old Windows laptop, did it work with PSX on that laptop? If so, I assume that Ventura is a factor here. Ventura introduced some very strict security functions.