News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FS2020 VR with PSX integration

Started by Kockie69, Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:07

Kockie69

I will use this topic to keep you updated on my latest project. Having built some PSX tools in the past I am back with something new. I don't have a nice name for it yet, but it will give us a full PSX integration in FS2020 (kind of).

What does this mean? It means for me (that is why I started this project) I can sit in my Virtual reality Cockpit , with my VR Headset, with the FS2020 scenery of course, with PSX screens/instruments and the plane fully controlled by PSX.

It looks like this....

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cNbtFyYGt6toj2G21iSRy2NesngVcvlK

FS2020 will operate as a full client of PSX, so you can use all the controls in the FS cockpit and these will be actioned upon by PSX.

I am still far from a release, but I have overcome most of the technical challenges. There is still one challenge left, which is acting on the keypresses of the FMC. I will start working on that one soon. A lot of the other work is copying patterns that are already implemented for other situations.

So I will keep you posted on the progress and will share a video soon (if I have upgraded my hardware).

Oh, and if you have questions or suggestions, let me know in this topic or send me a pm.

Robert

Kurt

Nice - looking forward to following the progress on this  ;D
Best regards
Kurt

Kockie69

Ok, I did a bit of a test flight to get a video done to show this is actually coming to live.
Please have a look and let me know what you think. Please be aware this is all still in development so please be gentle :-)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cNbtFyYGt6toj2G21iSRy2NesngVcvlK

Robert

Hardy Heinlin

It looks beautiful, Robert. Thank you for this brilliant work!

(I'm not familiar with MSFS.) Would more computer power improve the frame rates? Or are there certain limits due to the software structure in MSFS?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Kockie69

Thank you Hardy,

I am running fs on my development laptop and not at maximum performance. If I do my laptop will sound like it is going to fly itself.
Also I am still running part of my interface in visual studio debug mode.
Also all sppsx screens are updated every fs frame , which I think can be improved. Psx runs on a separate linux server, screens are refreshed over the network.
I think I can still improve a lot.

Hardy Heinlin

cavaricooper

Watching this with keen interest.  PSX.NET has the smoothness down, but not having a real flight deck- I am very 2D on one screen.... this may be the solution... thanks for your efforts and please keep updating us!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I still wonder whether an eyes-only (assume it's very very good) VR experience cuts it for flight simulation. What is the way you reach for the landing lights switch? Do you have a mouse in your hand that projects a cursor in your VR? Or another device attached to your hand? Is the missing tactile feel difficult to get used to?

Of course this is no reason not to develop this projection system!

Hoppie

PaulMidd

When I'm flying other planes in MSFS, I'm living inside my Varjo Aero headset for hours on end. The only time I come out of it and fly in 2D is when I fly the 744 with WidePSX.

Being able to fly this 744 in full VR would be a great bonus for me. I look forward to developments with great anticipation!

Eric Volmer

This is great news, Robert.
I wish you good luck to get everything settled in a satisfying manner.
Hope to hear more soon!
Best regards, Eric