News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FPPM: Improved climb + Tire Speed Limited Weight?!

Started by MRFarhadi, Wed, 29 Mar 2023 23:39

MRFarhadi

Fellow aviators,

Recently, I've been looking a bit deeper into Boeing's FPPMs and as an All-time Airbus guy, it's been a bit confusing, to say the least, getting my head around some stuff lately.

I've found on 737, 747, 757, 767 and 777 FPPMs there's a chart for Improved Climb Performance which employs a more optimized V2/Vs for improved climb performance. Pretty self-explanatory to this stage.
What's dazzling me is why on earth (or in air) there's an Improved Climb chart for Tire Speed Limited weights?
Wasn't the whole point of providing a tire speed limited weight, limiting the speed V1 and/or Vr occurs so that the tire speed limitation isn't busted? Isn't increasing V1/Vr/V2 for the sake of improving climb performance a bit counterintuitive at this stage?

Best,
Reza
Mohammadreza Farhadi

dhob

That is interesting. The following is from Boeing's JTPM document:

When Limited by Tire Speeds
When your takeoff weight will be limited by field length, or climb, or obstacles, there exist a number of performance options that may help to increase the limit weight: improved climb, a different flap setting, air conditioning bleeds off, range of V1, and the like.
When your takeoff weight is limited by tire speeds, however, there is relatively little you can do to seek relief from this restriction. Operationally, the only options available will be to try a larger flap setting to decrease the liftoff speeds, or to schedule the flights for cooler times of day.

Logically, no increase in V Speeds would be possible if at tire speed weight limit. I agree the FPPM chart doesn't seem to have any applicability.

Takayoshi Sasano

Oh wow - where can I find the FPPM for the 744? I wasn't successful so far, maybe I just used the wrong keyword combination.
Any hints will be appreciated!

Cheers

Yoshi