News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Layout Resource for PSX & Scenery Generator viewed on the same monitor

Started by cavaricooper, Sat, 11 Mar 2023 19:42

Steve Hose

You're very welcome!

I will say that with very close zoom factors like I have done in MSFS it doesn't necessarily translate to better eye-candy. Close-up it really exposes the limitations of the MSFS graphical engine, even if you are fortunate enough to have a decent system like I do. This is why I retain the wider-angle views for when I feel like gazing at pretty pictures (A/P engaged of course :P )

This does put perspective on the value of the more minimalist visuals of PSX - always a consistent masterpiece thanks to Hardy.

...and much easier to manage than MSFS. To me, MSFS 2020 is really a fancy game engine that within its code to this day has elements that date back to the original Flight Simulator from Bruce Artwick more than 40 years ago. I'm old enough to say that from experience.

Regards, Steve.

Hardy Heinlin

Interesting. Could you give some examples of those elements from Bruce Artwick?

Regards,

|-|ardy

cagarini

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:13Interesting. Could you give some examples of those elements from Bruce Artwick?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hardy, there are many examples / instances where the original simvars are referred.

i.e.: the turn coordinator, discussed in this Dev Support forum thread:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/turn-coordinator-ball-simvar/5917

still represented by a signed 8 bit integer...

The Legacy flight model, inherited, with some (at times drastic) truncation of original simvars is still the same from  FS5.0a, the first stable version of the "new era" of MFS, after fs4/3/2/1...

fs9 did introduce some innovation, and then fs10 ( fsx ) truncated some of it in a first "effort" to simplify/consolidate parameters and simvars...

In the new (ASOBO) pseudo-CFD approach they use a rather simplified 3d model of the aircraft, and a 3d lattice to evaluate the various aerodynamic force resultants. This is then merged with the data from the Legacy FM parameters for "normalization", but while it brings some really interesting prospects of future development. it's still mostly the Legacy flight model inherited from the good-old BAO FS1.

For a "comprehensive" description of teh approach followed in MFS 2020, please refer to:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Developer_Mode/Aircraft_Editor/Debug/Debug_Aircraft_CFD.htm?agt=index

Steve Hose

Hi Hardy,

The base scenery file format of '.bgl' files also comes to mind. The Flight Simulator series over the decades has retained this core and no doubt built on it over the years but is still in use today in MSFS 2020, albeit overlaid with AI-enhanced and satellite eye-candy :)

Not sure whether this will be the case in the upcoming MSFS 2024 but given MS have indicated backward-compatibility with 2020 scenery I'll bet a dollar that it is.

Regards, Steve.

Hardy Heinlin

Will

Also, as an homage to the old Bruce Artwick days, Miegs Field in Chicago is included in the default scenery.
Will /Chicago /USA

Mawea

Hi,
thank you Gary I just installed the PSX.Net.msfs and try to follow up on the discussion about the layouts. Thanks also for Steves presets. I lowered the view a little more and took a picture for comparison.

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:05Do any of the real drivers have rules of thumb to share, to guesstimate your position over the threshold?

Hi Jeroen,
at 50' over the THR you would just see the disappearing numbers, like this:

Lateral for example while taxiing you aim the ALT-Band as centerline. On the right side as CM2 you would aim with the SPD-Band

Hope that helps
cheers Jay