News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Looking for RealTraffic v10 beta testers with PSX

Started by Balt, Thu, 9 Mar 2023 06:15

Balt

A major upgrade for RealTraffic is under way, offering new features specifically for PSX. A non-exhaustive list includes:

- Global weather injection for PSX. This works both for real-time flying as well as when flying with time offsets, currently up to two weeks into the past. METARs and SIGMETs are sourced for the correct time when you're in the air, and injected into PSX. The nearest METAR is injected into the focus weather zone, while the remaining 6 slots are filled with other nearby stations. The global planet weather is set from GFS model data, and from actual observed data when flying with a time offset more than 6 hours in the past.

- The GFS data provides accurate winds and temperatures aloft with pole to pole coverage for real-time and historical flights. The data is embedded via corridor data requiring an NG FMC license (but not the use of a PSX airframe supporting the NG FMC as Hardy kindly points out below). Any corridor data in PSX you might have entered from your flight plan will remain untouched so that the FMC can continue to produce forecasts, yet the current actual conditions at your location and altitude are injected - so just like in real-life, you will encounter differences to the forecast in your performance data.

- Major traffic coverage improvements to include satellite derived position data. You will no longer fly alone when in oceanic or polar air space. Even over the continents where sometimes low density ADS-B receiver coverage left you all alone it is now rare to not see any traffic. 90% of satellite derived traffic is available with an offset of only 30 minutes into the past, while a 2h offset will recover 99.9% of all traffic. In combination with the weather injection feature, this means you're moving through similar conditions as the other real traffic around you - if the traffic you're following across the Atlantic is having a 100kt tailwind, so will you.

If that piques your interest and you'd like to help me release a less buggy than usual initial new major upgrade, please get in touch and I'll provide instructions on how to enable beta mode.

Check out https://www.flyrealtraffic.com for more information if you're not already familiar with RT.

Cheers

Balt

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Balt,

thank you for your work.

Just two tips:

The reason PSX has 7 zones rather than just one is the weather radar simulation which is composed of the 7 nearest METARs in front of the aircraft nose (so the autoselection also changes with the aircraft heading, not just with the position). That is, if you always inject just one METAR in just one zone, the radar will not display any CBs beyond the nearest zone.

The corridor and SIGMET features don't require the use of the NG FMC in an aircraft model. They just require the license file in the "Extra" folder.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Balt

Thanks Hardy - I wasn't aware of the METAR zone influence on the radar. During my tests I discovered that TS SIGMETs are producing beautiful CBs on the radar though. TC SIGMETs however could be improved by showing a more typical radar return. I asked you many years ago whether you'd consider opening the radar interface to be able to inject actual radar data. Back then you responded with a hard no. Perhaps the continued evolution of real weather addons could sway you...?

I'll update my code to inject all forward looking METARs. More midnight oil just when I thought we're almost ready for release...!  :)

cagarini

Thank you @Balt and these are extraordinary / good / great / lovely / sexy News !!!

Looking fwd into it !

Balt

Just noting that the latest beta now fills all 7 METAR slots with the nearby weather so that Hardy's weather radar model can perform as designed.

Kurt

Quote from: Balt on Thu,  9 Mar 2023 06:15A major upgrade for RealTraffic is under way, offering new features specifically for PSX. A non-exhaustive list includes:

- Global weather injection for PSX. This works both for real-time flying as well as when flying with time offsets, currently up to two weeks into the past. METARs and SIGMETs are sourced for the correct time when you're in the air, and injected into PSX. The nearest METAR is injected into the focus weather zone, while the remaining 6 slots are filled with other nearby stations. The global planet weather is set from GFS model data, and from actual observed data when flying with a time offset more than 6 hours in the past.

- The GFS data provides accurate winds and temperatures aloft with pole to pole coverage for real-time and historical flights. The data is embedded via corridor data requiring an NG FMC license (but not the use of a PSX airframe supporting the NG FMC as Hardy kindly points out below). Any corridor data in PSX you might have entered from your flight plan will remain untouched so that the FMC can continue to produce forecasts, yet the current actual conditions at your location and altitude are injected - so just like in real-life, you will encounter differences to the forecast in your performance data.

- Major traffic coverage improvements to include satellite derived position data. You will no longer fly alone when in oceanic or polar air space. Even over the continents where sometimes low density ADS-B receiver coverage left you all alone it is now rare to not see any traffic. 90% of satellite derived traffic is available with an offset of only 30 minutes into the past, while a 2h offset will recover 99.9% of all traffic. In combination with the weather injection feature, this means you're moving through similar conditions as the other real traffic around you - if the traffic you're following across the Atlantic is having a 100kt tailwind, so will you.

If that piques your interest and you'd like to help me release a less buggy than usual initial new major upgrade, please get in touch and I'll provide instructions on how to enable beta mode.

Check out https://www.flyrealtraffic.com for more information if you're not already familiar with RT.

Cheers

Balt

Hey Balt.

If this is still relevant then I can help to test out. Flying 2-3 hours a day currently.
Best regards
Kurt

Balt

Hi Kurt,

thanks absolutely still relevant. Please contact me via email balt at inside.net for details.

Cheers

Balt