News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Text Resolution Query for PFD/ND/EICAS

Started by cavaricooper, Tue, 7 Mar 2023 02:13

cavaricooper

Hardy- I confess total ignorance of RW screen/text resolution. 

The graphical qualities of the PSX cockpit are generally superb.  The one area where I would ask for a look over (I run 4k) is for the textual representations.  The most noticeable area is where the current waypoint is shown at the top right of the ND. I must tell you I mostly fly BAW CRTs or CLX LCDs sized very close to 1.0 where the PFD and ND are 8" x 8" MOL.

Perhaps it is already exactly correct but I thought I would raise a hand.  BTW I sent you an email some days earlier... perhaps it got caught by your spam filter?

Thanks for countless hours of education, entertainment and wonder.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

You can't read the ND details in PSX? They are sharp like a knife as they are lossless vector graphics, and they have the same proportion as in real life, so I wouldn't change that anyway.

Maybe your desktop monitor uses a blurred scale-up of a half-resolution Windows setting? Or you turned your ND brightness too much up or down?

I got no mail ... (These things should be discussed on the forum anyway.)

You need to show us a photograph (not a screenshot) of what you are talking about.

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Carl, I still have no clue what you mean.

cavaricooper

Hardy-

I'm not able to capture it very well... but look at the words CHANT and the magenta course line.  To me at least it looks fuzzy compared to everything else... (maybe it's time to up my Thorazine ;) ).

I am looking at it on a 4K 65" XBR2 Sony TV about 3' away.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RaFNXCgscT4YLepkIZ7HyoXjW3U2Zyp1/view?usp=sharing

Thanks - C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

What you mean is not the top right corner in particular but all objects in the entire cockpit that are of magenta color.

This is not a PSX problem.

Your TV is using a very low resolution that is scaled up to full size which also scales up the smoothness of the anti-alias of the original, smaller image. And this up-scaled anti-alias looks particularly bad on magenta objects. Magenta is always the most critical color for anti-alias. But this is only noticeable on poor monitors or TV monitors that are designed for TV color systems and TV scaling.

What you are seeing there on your 4K monitor is not really 4K. It looks like 1080p or even lower.

Here's the original lossless output from PSX:

And this is what your TV monitor is doing with it (screenshot from your video):

cavaricooper

That makes perfect sense... I do not have the same issue on my Mac. Thanks!

C

PS- the email I mentioned was hopefully asking for a replacement for the annual March purchase/support opportunity... I look forward to purchasing something each year to ensure the revenue stream and resulting genius output continues:).
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA