News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Tiller Effectiveness

Started by MRFarhadi, Wed, 4 Jan 2023 12:46

MRFarhadi

Hi,

Noticed that the Tiller's effectiveness at low speeds (less than 10 knots-ground) isn't enough to perform 180-degree turns or oversteering for 90-degree turns. Am I missing a settings option or something related to the sensitivity and the effectiveness of the tiller?

Best,
Reza
Mohammadreza Farhadi

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

I see no problem here. Are you using a mouse? Does the orange lever on your info tag go to 150°? When I fully deflect my tiller at 3 kt I can make a 360 within ca. 50 meters.

Regards,

|-|ardy

MRFarhadi

Yes,
The orange lever goes to 150 degrees and I usually try to complete a 180 with 5 knots of ground speed.
Mohammadreza Farhadi

Hardy Heinlin

What do you mean by "isn't enough to perform 180-degree turns"? I can even make 720 degree turns without problems :-)

I guess you need to talk about your radius or your turn rate. What is not enough?

For reference:
I load Basic 004 situ and make a 360 at 5 kt. I zoom the map on the Instructor to the max and look at the plottet, cyan track which is a circle with a diameter that is about as great as the runway width. Isn't that radius small enough?

G-CIVA

No issues here.

I have an old crappy racing car style steering wheel assigned & calibrated, mounted sideways & it provides a very realistic & tactile representation in my 'Frankenstein' flight deck.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Hardy Heinlin

Reza, are you referring to the outside view of an external scenery generator? They may include a smoothing algorithm in the aircraft motion. If so, your setting may be too high.

My comments always refer to the PSX instruments.

Will

Just FYI, I have a replica tiller from Cat 3 Design. It's a USB device, and there are no troubles turning the tiller all the way, and the aircraft responds properly. Very tight turns.

I'm not using any 3rd party scenery, but I know the turn radius is proper because I can roll onto the runway and do a tight 90-degree turn to line up for departure, without leaving the pavement, as verified by PSX visuals and the moving map I use.
Will /Chicago /USA

MRFarhadi

Hey y'all,

Sorry for being away and leaving the thread stranded. I was on the road for a couple of weeks and couldn't access my PC at the time.
Just reset my Joystick's Y-Axis back to Ailerons and then back to Ailerons+Tiller, and the issue was miraculously fixed. Now I can 180 turn the 747 using the FCTM's scribed method in the tolerances prescribed.

Best,
Reza
Mohammadreza Farhadi