News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Landing Distance Calculator

Started by simonijs, Thu, 17 Nov 2022 15:53

simonijs

Some time ago, one forum member asked about the existence of a Landing Distance Calculator. I know there are some about, but all for other types than the 747-400.

Therefore I created one, using Excel and "an" FCOM from an airline that operated both PAX and Freighter versions of the 747-400. Reference landing data and adjustments – such as for runway condition, elevation, temperature, or weight – are the same for these models that were fitted with GE-engines. I assume that most of the calculated results also apply to aircraft fitted with RB211 or PW engines as the brakes system is modelled by Boeing. Possibly some differences might occur when reverse thrust is used on models fitted with other engines than GE.

Below two links to Dropbox files are provided for download: one to an Excel workbook for "Normal landing distance calculations" and one to a second workbook "Non-Normal landing distance calculations". Make sure that you allow the "Edit mode" upon opening the downloaded workbook. If you leave it in "Safe mode", things won't work.
The first sheet in each workbook contains a short introduction on how to use the calculator. The workbook Normal landing distance is the simplest one to use, so I recommend to read this introduction first. The second document covers 23 Non-Normal situations each requiring a different calculation for specific Flaps and/or Brakes settings.

One note on using TopCat...: just checked their Non-Normals; they do not cover all FCOM listed Non-Normals, have Non-Normals that are not listed in the FCOM and seem to allow Max Manual braking only, which again is not what I see in the FCOM.

The Excel (Dutch language) version – that I used – is the one that comes with an Office 365 subscription. The calculator did not work with version Excel 2010 on my 2011 MacBook Air, nor does it work using Numbers (iOS). Appearance may differ from the example image (see Introduction sheets), as result of PC and Excel version used. Just checked the links on the laptop of mrs. Simonijs, where it looked slightly different indeed (but thát is a "normal" condition).

And as with the Aerosoft/Navigraph charts...: "For flight simulation use only !"

Regards,
Simon

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dl6vskzakxdtrz2gv84uy/Normal-LDG-DIST-B747-400-Pax-Freighter.xlsm?dl=0&rlkey=cpz5fzb7z41jjfvkmzoevfb7k
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sdw5riq340fhv2lysxk86/Non-normal-LDG-DIST-B747-400-Pax-Freighter.xlsm?dl=0&rlkey=bkwd1k7qm3surldyc6lw9xqq7

Deki

Will

Thanks! These are very interesting and helpful.

Are you looking for any suggestions? I'm pretty lazy, so rather than enter "Wind COMP," I'd like to just enter the wind direction and speed, like we do on TAKEOFF REF 2/2, and have the spreadsheet calculate the wind component. But that's obviously not necessary.

Thanks again for all your work!
Will /Chicago /USA

Aleks

simonijs

Quote from: Will on Fri, 18 Nov 2022 02:33I'd like to just enter the wind direction and speed, like we do on TAKEOFF REF 2/2, and have the spreadsheet calculate the wind component.

Yes, I can do that. Would you then also like to have the crosswind component calculated? It will be for (D-)ATIS winds, not for METAR winds. Sometime next week...

Regards,
Simon

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

B747-400

Hi Simon,

thx a lot for sharing.

Unfortunately not working on my XL 2019 either. NAME errors instead.

I guess it's not because of your Dutch version, but because of Office 365. As the 365 version benefits of a variety of functions not available to the on premise versions, or older ones. For example FILTER, SORT, XLOOKUP etc.

Best Regards
Hans