News:

Precision Simulator update 10.164 (17 December 2022) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET.MSFS.WASM - Smooth PSX to MSFS Scenery Link

Started by Gary Oliver, Sun, 18 Sep 2022 23:49

Takayoshi Sasano

Quote from: Aleks on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:59When loading MSFS, the "PSX" aircraft is always upside down in the home screen.
Same here, I find it kind of funny though ;D
Quote from: Aleks on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:59Also, I am unable to zoom out and look at plane from outside view - I am stuck in the lower belly looking into main landing gears.
Just in the hangar or when a flight has been started/loaded?
I use a PS3 controller clone to switch to drone view and navigate around which works perfectly fine. Which outside view is causing the issue?

Cheers

Yoshi

Swiso

Quote from: Aleks on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:59Also, I am unable to zoom out and look at plane from outside view - I am stuck in the lower belly looking into main landing gears.

Anyone with same problem, or any clue on what did I mess up?

Thanks.

I am in the same situation...with the mouse I can zoom in or out and move (turn) the view, but I am always in the lower belly of the plane.
Thankfully, the plane is not upside down.

Aleks

Quote from: Takayoshi Sasano on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 21:24Same here, I find it kind of funny though ;D Just in the hangar or when a flight has been started/loaded?
I use a PS3 controller clone to switch to drone view and navigate around which works perfectly fine. Which outside view is causing the issue?

Cheers

Yoshi

I am just simply stuck in the lower belly, when in external view. Drone camera, etc. is simply not moving.

No big deal, just strange :)

Aleks

I assume Gary is taking a break after worldflight. I will dare to politely ask for an update to show correctly altitude on Vatsim.

Slightly annoying to get a TCAS RA due to altitude error between PSX and Vatsim traffic :)

Wardie

Hi Gary, this is weird - PSX was working perfectly with MSFS and all of a sudden every time I rotate on take-off MSFS gives the error message "You overstressed the aircraft and caused critical damage". I am given the choice of restarting (in which case I get the same message when rotating next) or return to Main Menu. PSX in the meantime continues to run as normal. It does this on every take-off regardless of which airfield the aircraft is positioned at. Any idea of what I can try?

akatham

Quote from: Wardie on Sat,  3 Dec 2022 15:06Hi Gary, this is weird - PSX was working perfectly with MSFS and all of a sudden every time I rotate on take-off MSFS gives the error message "You overstressed the aircraft and caused critical damage". I am given the choice of restarting (in which case I get the same message when rotating next) or return to Main Menu. PSX in the meantime continues to run as normal. It does this on every take-off regardless of which airfield the aircraft is positioned at. Any idea of what I can try?

Disable MSFSs damage system. It is bad, anyway.

Gary Oliver


Gary Oliver

Quote from: Aleks on Thu,  1 Dec 2022 21:46I assume Gary is taking a break after worldflight. I will dare to politely ask for an update to show correctly altitude on Vatsim.

Slightly annoying to get a TCAS RA due to altitude error between PSX and Vatsim traffic :)

After I found out that another World Flight team started a drinking game whenever they head 'yes its a PSX to MSFS problem' when ATC queried out altitude its gone to the top of my list.

Wardie


JRBarrett

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Sat,  3 Dec 2022 15:50After I found out that another World Flight team started a drinking game whenever they head 'yes its a PSX to MSFS problem' when ATC queried out altitude its gone to the top of my list.

I'm flying on Vatsim right now off of the Pacific Northwest coast. Live Weather is enabled. PSX indicated altitude is FL350. Looking at MSFS simvars, "Plane altitude" (i.e. true altitude) is indeed 35,010 feet, but both "pressure altitude" and "indicated altitude" are 36,250 feet, and that is what is being sent to Vatsim by VPilot.

I just turned Live Weather off, making the MSFS atmosphere ISA, and now all three MSFS simvars are the same at 35,010 feet. Since I will be entering crowded airspace for my descent and landing at KLAX, I will leave Live Weather off, since doing so does solve the problem - but I miss the clouds.

In a native MSFS aircraft with Live Weather active and a non-ISA atmosphere, indicated and pressure altitude are the same, and should match the altimeter when at the flight levels, and it is true altitude which varies with non-standard pressure/temperature (as it does in a real aircraft).

Gary Oliver

JR,

This is exactly what I'm trying to solve...

Always works fine without live weather (minus a few hundred feet in current released version)

Im in conversation with Ross Carlson to see if we can do something

Takayoshi Sasano

There was/is a problem regarding altimeters with the PMDG DC-6 as well, I don't know if this could be related/helpful in any way:
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-dc-6-cloudmaster-forum/148876-altitude-hold-bug-and-solution

Cheers

Yoshi

andrej

Gary et al,

I believe that starting SU10 (or 11; when weather model was updated), MSFS causes problems not only for us, PSX users, but for all (on VATSIM).

For example, prior to weather model update, all planes were always showing "correct" FL (no delta). However now, when you scroll at map.vatsim.net, reported FLs vary (delta is sometimes 200', sometimes 300', sometimes they are spot on).

My experience is that if you are +/- 300', it is normal (for now). Previously, I had issues, where my FL was dramatically different (e.g. FL370, but reporting FL353).

Cheers,
Andrej

Takayoshi Sasano

Quote from: Aleks on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:59When loading MSFS, the "PSX" aircraft is always upside down in the home screen.
Just had a closer look at the files, seems as if the tumbling has to do with the aircraft definitions around weight distribution/CG. So this should be fixable, I'm just looking for some reference to steal look for correct data.

Cheers

Yoshi

Gary Oliver

Please let me know how you get on, its been something I have been meaning to take a look at since we started the project.

Thanks
G

Takayoshi Sasano

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Mon,  5 Dec 2022 14:34Please let me know how you get on, its been something I have been meaning to take a look at since we started the project.

Thanks
G
I just boldly copied the flight_model.cfg from the 747-400 ported from FSX as a first test - no tumbling anymore in the hangar/home screen.
Is it ok to attach/post the file content here?
Interesting by the way: the Salty mod 747-8i for MSFS seems to rely on that exact file as well ;D
// correction: of course it does since it is a mod of the default 747-8i by Asobo. But: they seem to rely on the old FSX model.

Cheers

Yoshi

JRBarrett

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Mon,  5 Dec 2022 02:15JR,

This is exactly what I'm trying to solve...

Always works fine without live weather (minus a few hundred feet in current released version)

Im in conversation with Ross Carlson to see if we can do something

I did some more experimenting with the SDK simvarwatch utility.

AFAIK, when VPilot is used with MSFS, it transmits either the MSFS variable "indicated altitude" or "pressure altitude" to Vatsim for Mode C. PSX can have no direct control over either of those simvars, and they may be very different than the PSX values for those parameters when Live Weather is active.

It appears that when PSX.NET.WASM is used, the MSFS simvar "plane altitude" (i.e. true MSL altitude) will always match the PSX altimeter as long as the PSX baro is correctly set to current local pressure (or to STD above the transition level). There might be some disparities when operating at STD if the PSX upper atmosphere is far from ISA, but it is likely to be closer than the current situation.

Perhaps the simplest/easiest solution would be for Ross to add an option to the VPilot "settings" menu called something like "PSX Mode C". With that option active, VPilot would transmit the value of the simvar "plane altitude" to Vatsim for Mode C - otherwise it would transmit whatever it uses currently for MSFS (indicated or pressure altitude).

Gary Oliver

JR,

Thats exactly where I got to... I also have a fix to push which will make plane altitude and indicated altitude match perfectly to PSX.

vPilot currently uses pressure Altitude which is where the problem comes.

I have asked Ross if he will do as you suggested if the users aircraft in MSFS is PSX WASM.  There is another fix which will fix the aircraft tipping on its nose using the same method.

Cheers
G

JRBarrett

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Mon,  5 Dec 2022 15:48JR,

Thats exactly where I got to... I also have a fix to push which will make plane altitude and indicated altitude match perfectly to PSX.

vPilot currently uses pressure Altitude which is where the problem comes.

I have asked Ross if he will do as you suggested if the users aircraft in MSFS is PSX WASM.  There is another fix which will fix the aircraft tipping on its nose using the same method.

Cheers
G

Perhaps VPilot could automatically detect the presence of the PSX.WASM aircraft and change the output variable accordingly? Or - make it a user-selectable option via the setup menu.

Only problem with the latter is that if a normal MSFS user were to turn that option on by mistake, it would cause the aircraft altitude on Vatsim to be way off. But, it would not require VPilot to do any "aircraft model sensing".

In any case, I am thoroughly enjoying using your software with PSX - the smoothness is incredible!

Gary Oliver

Had a very successful chat with Ross around PSX and some changes to vpilot to fix this issue. As always he's been very supportive of our small community and making changes for us.