News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

AeroSOFT NavDataPro

Started by Thundercracker, Tue, 26 Jul 2022 02:36

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: B747-400 on Mon,  8 Aug 2022 22:20
That makes me think, that after copying the folder(s) from A to B, B has exactly the same setting as A = the same selected DB = remembered. And after a restart = the next start = everything is done.

No. Copying and menu setting are two different things.

You don't copy the menu setting. You just add a new database to your list (to your "menu", so to speak).

The remembering is the third thing.

Each Aerowinx folder will remember its last menu selection. When database Fritzy is selected in this Aerowinx, and a PSX instance restarts from this Aerowinx folder, this PSX will automatically start with Fritzy selected on the menu. Whenever it starts, it will start with Fritzy -- until you change the menu setting in this Aerowinx.

The last menu selection is stored in a special file. It's not important to know, but here it is:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/Misc/listSelect.txt

This file is automatically written on PSX exit, and is only read during PSX start. You may exit PSX, then overwrite listSelect.txt by your own tricks, then restart PSX. But: Is a restart of all instances really faster than simply open the menu manually for a second on the running instances? Aside from that, this task is only required once per month.

Regards,

|-|ardy

asboyd

With networked PC's you can set up a symbolic link for several folders of Aerowinx. I have the route, navigation and sounds folders all with symbolic links from my main PC.
I even have a symbolic link to Aerowinx.jar.
That way I only need to update one machine and the rest automatically update.
It does not effect the speed of the other PC's.
I have not yet tried linking all directories, but that may be possible as well, except for the situ and layout files, as the startup choices are different on each machine.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

B747-400

Yeah, I found the txt file with the entry in the meantime.
Also Alex's input with the symbolic link is another idea.
So, lot of things to try and or to do.
Txh for all inputs and eplanations!

Regards
Hans

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hardy:

I believe Hans uses one central "master" copy of PSX, on the server, and then batch-copies this whole installation to all the clients. I also believe this happens automagically in his setup just before each PSX start on the clients. So it seems this will do exactly what is intended, plus a lot more work that is so cheap nobody cares about it.

There are many ways to achieve the same end result, from manually maintaining multiple identical PSX installations to a fully shared folder on a file server (that does not even need to run PSX itself).

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

It copies the entire installation with giga bytes of terrain files etc. before every PSX start?

Well, then the above details are all irrelevant, of course :-)

asboyd

I think it must use a shared folder rather than copying them.
Even if he has an SSD and makes several copies of the folder on the server SSD, it would not be efficient and would cause a lot of wear and tear on the SSD...
I find my symbolic links running on a small SSD on each of the 3 machines running my MIP and hardware interface has no impact on my frame rates or networking speeds. The main machine also has an SSD but is used mainly for reading files rather than writing. My scenery PC is purely for scenery and Flightsim add ons (active sky, AIG, GSX2, etc).
All machines run Windows 10 but I could change my PSX display machines to Linux if necessary (if windows stops supporting older machines... :) )
I used to copy everything from one machine to the other but it was a pain to keep track of which had been updated. Symlinks solved all my problems and allows me to start all machines quickly (except my scenery which is still slow even with hardware updates. :P)
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

B747-400

I'm running / testing thru all mentioned technologies ;o) - that's why I'm trying and asking so much.

At the moment there are no large NavData updates included, so no huge impact regarding file-size / time etc. But that will change soon, as well as the prefered methode of updating.

Regards
Hans

zwyx

Aerosoft NavDataPro data update 2208 is out and it is still missing two files (abb.w and ms.w). When I copied both files from 2206 data set  PSX was able to detect the new version. abb.w contains the list of abbreviations, not sure about ms.w purpose, but in contains string "Made by Aerosoft (with Navburo 12)". So finger trouble in Aerosoft seems to continue.

B747-400

Hi,

I purchased the NavDataPro - Single dataset today. Same here - the mentioned two files are missing.

After opening a ticket at Aerosofts support center, I got a fast reply (in german) meaning:

QuoteUnfortunately, the automatic integration of the NavDataPro data specifically for the AeroWinx Precision Simulator does not work at the moment. We are currently working on an update that will hopefully be available soon. Until then, we would like to ask you to copy the data manually: https://xxx

I used their download link - a zip file - but still the both files are missing. So the download is not really very helpful at all ...

Just to let you know ...

So, I opened a new ticket ... I'll keep you up to date!

Hardy: of course it works after copying the two files (abb.w & ms.w) ... is there any disadvantage when using this "old" files?

Cheers
Hans

Hardy Heinlin

No disadvantage as they are always the same two files anyway, generated by Navburo.

|-|ardy

turbodiddley

I have had no problems with Aerosoft updating so far. I have not installed this latest update yet. I will look put for the 45 files versus 47 files issue.

So far I have really liked this service.

B747-400

I just purchased the present cycle 2208 single dataset. The Aerosoft installer installed the cycle correctly, but without the two mentioned files.

So, as long as you know about this behavior and copy the two files manually, installed cycle can be selected in PSX. Otherwise, it won't show up in the selection menu.

I informed Aerosoft about this error ... let's see when they fix it.

Regards
Hans

Hardy Heinlin

I also informed them with some technical background details ...

|-|

Hardy Heinlin

Guenter at Aerosoft just recompiled the package. All 47 files are now included. Users that got just 45 files may want to redownload their package. But you need not redownload it if you've copied the missing files already.

Best wishes,

|-|ardy