News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

AeroSOFT NavDataPro

Started by Thundercracker, Tue, 26 Jul 2022 02:36

Thundercracker

Hello Newb here so please forgive me.

I downloaded the aerosoft 2207 database, but when i start Aerowinx it still has the old 2016 Sept/Oct database in the FMC.

The files are in the appropriate location i think:
Program Files/PSX_ 10.137/Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2207-Aerosoft/Binary

How do i get it to recognise the new database...

Would appreciate any guidance. Im using Windows 10

Cheers!

Hardy Heinlin

Hello, welcome to the forum.

This info is important:

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=6624.0

Regards,

|-|ardy

Thundercracker

Thanks Hardy,

Ok i go to About -> default nav data

And it says Navblue cycle 1703. The dropdown menu only says "default Nav Data". Thats all. Both checkboxes are ticked.

So it seems its using the original database....? Can see some of the SIDS at certain fields have older designators still.

How do i change the current default to recognise the new Aerosoft (2207) data thats in the custom folder.

Thanks again ;o)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Thundercracker on Tue, 26 Jul 2022 02:36
The files are in the appropriate location i think:
Program Files/PSX_ 10.137/Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2207-Aerosoft/Binary

In that "Binary" subfolder there must be 47 files.

Is "Binary" empty?

What installation steps are required in that Aerosoft program? I'm not familiar with the Aerosoft software, unfortunately. Maybe some of the Aerosoft users can jump in here?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Thundercracker

Hi again Hardy,

The Binary folder has only 45 files.

I downloaded the NavData software. Scroll to Aerowinx. Theres a check box i ticked selecting i want the Aerowinx dataset.

Path i changed to where i downloaded Aerowinx on my computer.

It installed automatically in the appropriate location, based on the other threads guidance. I opened the NavData software now and in the "cycle" section it says "-installed (V. 2207 R.1 ), backup ( not found )

But i am unable to select the software in the 'About' section Navigation database drop down menu

Thanks for any assistance

Hardy Heinlin

45 are not enough.

What text is in Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt?

Thundercracker

I found a solution although it's a bit of a cheat, and I don't know if i'm screwing it up.

I copied the 45 files and pasted them into:
Program Files/PSX_ 10.137/Aerowinx/Navigation/
Replacing the original files in this location (i saved the original files in another location)
I now however, get the up to date SIDs, STARs etc.
Default nav data (on about page) says by "Unknown"

The missing files when I compare the 2 (Aerosoft vs default) are:
abb.w
cycle.source
ms.w
(there's an re.f file in the Aerosoft thats not in the default database)

My txt from the errors says:
[Aerowinx Precision Simulator - Exceptions]

java.io.FileNotFoundException: Navigation\ms.w (The system cannot find the file specified)
   at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open0(Native Method)
   at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Unknown Source)
   at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at ScanMetRef.reloadArray(ScanMetRef.java:120)
   at Scan$MetRefReloadThread.run(Scan.java:202)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Navigation\ms.w (The system cannot find the file specified)

Hardy Heinlin

You shouldn't copy them there. Can you undo this change? It's important to have the original files there.

However, you may do it the reversed way. Copy these two original files:

abb.w
ms.w

to -Custom/List/2207-Aerosoft/Binary/

I'm still curious why the Aerosoft package doesn't include these two files. Is anyone else on the forum who got the same Aerosoft package?

|-|ardy

zwyx

Yes - had similar issue with latest NavDataPro update. After some searching found the two files missing from latest dataset. copied them back from previous version, PSX found the dataset and everything fine. Maybe small finger trouble from Aerosoft? Planned to open topic in this forum but thought that maybe too unique problem.

Hardy Heinlin

So Aerosoft's previous cycles (before July) have 47 files?

Thundercracker

Thanks Hardy & zwyx, i'll fix everything with the files now, to the original state & copy the 2 files you suggested.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Many thanks!

Thundercracker

Hardy, your suggestion worked perfectly!

Thanks very much for taking the time to resolve my issue, really appreciate it!

All the best  :D

ronin744

Hello

In case it helps, I did the normal install of navdata (navygraph) last cycle and it installed fine the first time with 47 files.

Cheers

B747-400

Gents,

to be brutally honest: I lost the connex to all this regarding the navigation databases. I spent the last years building my sim, not updating anything, despite PSX itself.

Now, I consider subscribing to Aerosoft Navdata Pro, because I prefer Lido charts.

I searched this forum, found Navburo, and tons of discussions about pro / cons etc.

Now: when I subscribe to Aerosoft NDP:

- do i need Navburo, or is it handled by the Aerosoft installer solely
- is the Aerosoft installer needed on all my 4 networked PCs, or can one updated instance (lets call it server) transferred via the network to the PSX clients?
- I only have PFD / ND / EICAS outlets on the other PCs, so not really comfortable to update each single PC individually
- After each Cycle update, do I need to reselect the newly updated database over the ESC / About/Quit / Navigation database list box? 

THX a lot
Hans

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: B747-400 on Mon,  8 Aug 2022 15:00
- do i need Navburo

No.

Quote- is the Aerosoft installer needed on all my 4 networked PCs, or can one updated instance (lets call it server) transferred via the network to the PSX clients?

I don't know if the Aerosoft program can copy a new database to multiple file paths. If it's just one path, use this and copy it to the other PSX instances manually.

The route path for all custom databases looks like this in every Aerowinx folder:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/ [here will be the databases listed, each in its own subfolder]

The full path of a custom database looks like this, for example:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2208Aerosoft/Binary/ [here are 47 database files]

After some months you will have multiple databases on the list:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2208Aerosoft/Binary/ [here are 47 database files]
Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2209Aerosoft/Binary/ [here are 47 database files]
Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List/2210Aerosoft/Binary/ [here are 47 database files]
etc.

Quote- I only have PFD / ND / EICAS outlets on the other PCs, so not really comfortable to update each single PC individually

Every PSX instance needs its own database copy as databases are not transferred via the PSX network. Every PSX instance needs the same database version.

The nav data you see on the PFD/ND client is not data from the PSX server! It is data from the client's database. So it's important that all network instances use the same database version. The network connection will not check version agreements anymore. That is, you won't get error messages anymore for database version disagreements. You need to check the versions manually on each About page.

Quote- After each Cycle update, do I need to reselect the newly updated database over the ESC / About/Quit / Navigation database list box? 

Yes.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

B747-400

Thanks for your fast response Hardy!

Understood and makes sense to me.

Can I assume that

1) updating the server to present cycle
2) preselecting the new DB (in About/Quit / Navigation ...) and closing PSX
3) then copying the complete directory (updated content) .../Navigation/-Custom to all my clients

results in
4) all clients on same Nav DB level as server, and correctly preselected DB in About/Quit... as well?

This would be excellent to avoid manual activities updating the sim!

THX & cheers
Hans

Hardy Heinlin

You need not restart any PSX instance.

Just do this:

1) With the AeroSOFT program install the new database in one Aerowinx folder
2) Manually copy the new database from this Aerowinx folder to the other Aerowinx folders.
3) On every PSX instance (server and clients) select the new database from the menu.

The menu is your version setter. You can switch database versions while PSX is running. You can also use older databases for special sessions or tests etc.

Regards,

|-|ardy

(Every Aerowinx folder remembers its last database menu selection for the next Aerowinx start. So you only need to use the menu when you want to select a different database.)

B747-400

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Mon,  8 Aug 2022 17:04
(Every Aerowinx folder remembers its last database menu selection for the next Aerowinx start. So you only need to use the menu when you want to select a different database.)

OK, thx!

The last statement sounds exactly like what I was hoping for: when I copy the folder (batch-job with following PSX restart) there's nothing more for me to do, because the Nav DB cycle of Server (incl. last DB menu selection) has been transferred to the clients.

Cheers
Hans

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: B747-400 on Mon,  8 Aug 2022 20:02(batch-job with following PSX restart)

Why restart? Restart is not required.

Custom databases are not selected by restart actions but by menu actions.

Quotethere's nothing more for me to do, because the Nav DB cycle of Server (incl. last DB menu selection) has been transferred to the clients.

No.

You do have one more thing to do:
On every client that uses its own Aerowinx folder, you have to select the new database on that client's About page. That's what you have to do once, on each PSX instance (that uses its own Aerowinx folder).

When you copy any new files, this copy action will not automatically change your menu setting.

A copy action is one thing. A menu action is another thing. Two things.

When your kitchen has oranges and now gets some apples delivered as well, you will not automatically eat apples; you will only eat apples when you select apples from the menu.

You could copy hundreds of new databases at once; the menu will not auto-select any of them. It will keep its last selection until you, the user, selects a different database from the menu.

Regards,

|-|ardy

B747-400

Yes, I understand the purpose of a menu selection. I code such selectors in my programs as well.

But you wrote "... folder remembers its last database menu selection for the next Aerowinx start ...".

That makes me think, that after copying the folder(s) from A to B, B has exactly the same setting as A = the same selected DB = remembered. And after a restart = the next start = everything is done.

I will simply try and find out. If it is not working, then I have to do it manually. But I really want to avoid this. I'm running lot of different instances, and its a pain to change all those menues one by one manually. My goal is to automatize as much as possible.

Regards
Hans