News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Cannot reinstall

Started by jtsjc1, Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:17

jtsjc1

Hi Hardy I've had PSX on my system since 8/2014. My dvd is ver. 10.0.0. I recently had a system problem and have to reinstall PSX however I can't get the dvd to install. the error is  java.io.FileNotFoundException.Aerowinx Operations Manual.pdf (The system cannot find the file specified). I have the latest version of Java and my dvd drive is working. Is the disc now defective? This is only the second time I've used it since the original install in 2014. Any help is appreciated.  Joe
Joe

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Joe,

can you load Aerowinx Operations Manual.pdf directly from your DVD using a PDF viewer of your choice?

|-|ardy

jtsjc1

Yes Hardy it will load the manual however it takes a few times of ejecting the disk to get it to read. I tried other discs and it reads them first time no problem.
Joe

jtsjc1

Even when it does read I get that error message i posted when trying the installer.jar file
Joe

Hardy Heinlin

Your DVD seems to be getting old. Can you email me?

jtsjc1

Sure Hardy just let me know your email.
Joe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Click on the little envelope under Hardy's avatar picture.

Sometimes you can revive a slightly damaged CD or DVD by carefully polishing it with a light liquid cleaning agent and a soft cloth. Typically there are microscratches on the glossy surface that scatter the light of the reading laser.

jtsjc1

Thank you Hoppie I did email Hardy. I tried to polish it but still the same issue.
Joe

jtsjc1

So after much appreciated help from Hardy I have reinstalled PSX. However now when I double click on AerowinxStart I get a popup Notepad box with what looks like the file but it won't start. I tried right click to start with Java no luck. This never happened in the whole time I had PSX installed previously. I downloaded 10.155 and even tried it after that. I also checked the errors log file and there's nothing showing errors. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
Joe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Smells like Windows lost the knowledge on how to relate the .jar files with the correct Java VM/interpreter.

There have been other people who found a workaround but I forgot... it's a Windows/Java issue, not PSX.

Hoppie

jtsjc1

Thanks Hoppie probably one of these damn Windows updates they're constantly sending. That's quite possible. PSX has always been one of the most reliable programs I have. I honestly didn't think it was a PSX problem.
Joe

jtsjc1

Problem is solved! Thank you to forum member Rod who had the solution which was go into settings and associate the .jar files with Java. It was set to notepad and that was the reason for notepad opening the AerowinxStart file. And of course thank you Hardy for your help with re-install and the helpful links. Most important thank you for PSX it is a fabulous simulation and your customer support is first class you are a gentleman. Hoppie thank you also for the hints. Have a great weekend men and have a drink on me!

The NG FMC will be next addition.
Joe