News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Situa not applying manual zone weather

Started by Ben_p, Wed, 29 Jun 2022 09:03

Ben_p

Dear forum,

it's been awhile but now found some time going back to PSX. I wanted to train a crosswind takeoff today at Frankfurt, Rwy 18 and set the weather on the instructor panel accordingly (METAR download off). The situ is based on the template situ for takeoffs.

But regadless which setting I try, the turbulence setting is not saved and when taking-off the wind is always 176 @ 8 knots instead of the 120 @30 I set in the weather tab. Did I miss something (as said - it's been awhile since I used PSX) in the settings that it doesn't apply the surface wind?

Any help'd be much appreciated.
Thank you kindly,
Ben

PS: Situ file is located here: https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZXNoRZwYK54TJ6FEQuYCBgFv3YjFhAmAoV

Hardy Heinlin

Dear Ben,

I just tested your situ and I saw no problem. I got the wind 120@30 and the turbulence.

Maybe you're misunderstanding the instruments. As long as the aircraft is on the ground and the track on the runway is nearly equal to the heading, the IRS cannot fully detect the crosswind component. Only when the aircraft is airborne, the aircraft can drift sideways, and this drift can then be measured by the IRS to compute the actual wind direction. So, while the aircraft is on the ground, the wind indications on the ND and CDU will behave as if there were just headwind or tailwind components.

In your situ there is a massive crosswind on the ground that pushes the tail to the right and the nose to the left. This is no headwind. This is your crosswind from 120° that you've set on the Instructor.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Ben_p

Hi Hardy many thanks for your reply.
Strange, I feel no crosswind at all during takeoff (rudder is almost neutral for me), that's why I wondered and disregarded the indications on the ND.
I had the same situ in a Level-D sim recently and had to apply quite some right rudder and left aileron but in PSX neither of the two, that's why I wondered if I did a setting incorrect.
Ben

Edit: I should note that the crosswind then hit me like a truck after liftoff.

Hardy Heinlin

When I set takeoff power and release the brakes, and make no control inputs at all: At 30 kt groundspeed the aircraft heading starts changing to the left. At 80 kt it begins to leave the runway. It requires a significant amount of rudder input to maintain the heading, and some aileron input to keep wings level.

When you lift your nose wheel at VR, it's normal that the tires can't support the heading stability anymore, and so you'll get an additional sidekick in that moment.

The PSX model behaves here like the level-D sims. But your rudder pedal hardware, of course, cannot simulate the force and feel of the level-D hardware. That's a hardware problem. Not a PSX software problem.

Ben_p

Hi Hardy.
Many thanks once again for your quick support, much appreciated - I'll re-test this later and play a bit with the rudder sensitivity to 'do' something. Maybe it's incorrectly calibrated.
Ben