News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Question for real pilots KLAX-KSFO

Started by Dirk Schepmann, Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:15

Dirk Schepmann

Hi all,

This is more or less a question for real pilots, I think (I hope Jon has a look *grin*)

Somehow the leg from KLAX to KSFO has become one of my favorite legs in PSX and I enjoy hand flying the Queen until FL250 or so.

I usually use this routing:
SUMMR2 STOKD SERFR SERFR4

However, if you fly this route, due to the mandatory 6000 at EDDYY, it is quite challenging to lose altitude and bleed off some speed before intercepting the localizer @KSFO 28L/R.

I assume that in real life aircraft are vectored by ATC anyway ... so what are typical vectors and speed/altitude restrictions for that segment?

Thanks,
Dirk

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

From EDDYY to HEMAN is about 10 miles, in which to lose 6000 - 3100 = 2900 ft.  Not too bad?  PONKE, on the localizer and approximate glide slope, is about the same distance and altitude.

That said SFO puts the C in ATC so ...

Hoppie

Dirk Schepmann

With a light weight it's not so easy as it seems.

Of course when you slow down early, put some flaps out and assist with speedbrakes it works, but it always feels like Speedy Gonzales coming in.

Just curious to know how planes are usually vectored in that area. Maybe I should spend more time on Flightradar or RealTraffic from Balt to see how it's usually done.

Bluestar

I fly this approach a lot from over EDDYY.  One of the things I do is use FLCH when below 10,000 so I can be level at 6,000 before I reach EDDYY.  My goal is to be at or below 220 KIAS unless assigned a higher speed by ATC.
Being level early makes it much easier to slow down.   Use speed brakes, get the flaps out early and lower the gear if struggling to slow down.  My flaps 30 speed is normally about 150 KIAS since I am always heavy.   :)

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

IefCooreman

Quote from: Dirk Schepmann on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:50
Of course when you slow down early...

Never try to descend and slow down at the same time with a clean aircraft. It doesn't work.

On wide bodies you can use the flaps to "drag you down". The trick in all cases is NOT to reduce speed, you use the speed to create drag. So if you want to be cautious, be clean "up" speed at EDDYY, go for flaps 5 but keep the clean speed. Some companies will not like this as the load on the flaps increases, you'll have to use speedbrakes then.

A 12NM final seems pretty standard and "generous". You can be safe and reduce speed just before intercepting the LOC. I (in my 777 days) usually waited to see what happened with the speed on the glide. If it reduced on the glide, you'll be fine with 12NM to go. If it was sluggish to reduce, a tad of speedbrakes, if it accelerated (tailwind) gear has to hang out immediatly.

Dirk Schepmann