News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Moving to PSX?

Started by Bluestar, Mon, 13 Jun 2022 03:10

Bluestar

I got PSX.NET operating I think?  I have a screen with P3dv5.3 running with the POS B744 I downloaded here.  The PSX.NET router appears to be operating correctly.  PSX is running.  PSX and P3d appear to have the BA B744 in the correct location.  The problem is p3d does not have an instrument panel.  How do I get the instrument panel for PSX to show the P3d scenery through the PSX windshield?

I'm getting closer.  🤣

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

asboyd

I think the 744 you get from here has the panels removed to allow a hardware based cockpit to be used.
If you grab the 747 classic off the facebook group - Project "Opensky 747 Classic V4 FSX/P3D Native Conversion Hangar". It has standard instrument panels only.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Bluestar on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:27
... to show the P3d scenery through the PSX windshield?

The PSX desktop frame cannot provide a hole where you could "look through" to see other applications below it. The PSX desktop frame is always a solid rectangle. You just can move it and resize it as a rectangle. You can place it side by side next to an external scenery frame rectangle. Or you can place the scenery rectangle partially over the PSX rectangle. Or just display the scenery on a second monitor.

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 04:08
The PSX desktop frame cannot provide a hole where you could "look through" to see other applications below it. The PSX desktop frame is always a solid rectangle.
|-|ardy

Hardy-  we discussed this years ago, and at that time there was no ability to move forward on this matter.  It would solve many scenery generator issues quite nicely... has anything in Java development, and/or your schedule, allowed for future investigation into this?

Hope you're well and safe!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I remember that on Windows (and maybe ONLY on Windows) there is a "drop the background out" special color that literally allows you to reach through the now disappeared color and click on the underlying window without even focusing the window you reach through. This is not an alpha blend so it should have zero performance impact.

But whether Java supports this mode is unclear.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Even if a newer Java version were to provide this function I won't implement it because -- on the development side -- I will stick to Java 1.8 for the rest of my life. You can use higher Java versions to run PSX. But I won't use higher versions for the PSX development.

Bluestar

I was reading where 1.8 will be supported until 2030 by Oracle. :)
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Bluestar

Quote from: Bluestar on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:27
I got PSX.NET operating I think?  I have a screen with P3dv5.3 running with the POS B744 I downloaded here.  The PSX.NET router appears to be operating correctly.  PSX is running.  PSX and P3d appear to have the BA B744 in the correct location. 

I'm getting closer.  🤣

Bode

I'm on about day 12 of this little adventure with good things and bad things.  I have spent hours doing searches trying to iron out my issues.  My keepers haven't taken me off "suicide watch" yet.  🤣

My first two flights were KAUS-KJFK-KAUS which were pretty much uneventful.  The main problem was the winds displayed on in PSX differed substantially from the real world and Active Sky.  PSX had a hundred knot headwind going west and that just doesn't happen this time of year in this part of the world.  I put a bandaide on the problem by taking the  average winds and TOC temperature from the AS Briefing page and placing them in the Weather - Planet.  After each step climb I reran AS and got new average winds/temperatures.   This method kept the P3d and PSX winds close enough for me. 

I can get PSX to backup sometimes.   I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others.  I did make sure the tire pressure was good and my toe brakes were not dragging. 

When switching to manual throttle I am still having problems.  I don't like to use autothrottle during visual landings so needless to say things have been an adventure down low.  Head-shaking mode. 

It was my understanding that PSX.NET would inject AS winds into PSX so P3d and PSX would display similar winds.  If I am wrong on this issue please let me know. 

I've tried to get WidePSX running.  I get the Green connect lights for the scenery generator and simconnect, but all I get is the Posky B744 floating in the ocean.  The Winds Aloft shows to be working except I don't know where to place to *.WX file. 

Any way it's time to get ready for church. 

Be well. be safe and thanks for listening to my rambles. :)

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Gary Oliver

Bode,

We removed the P3D to PSX Wind link as this got replaced by the BACARS injection direct to PSX when requesting an INIT DATA REQ which uses the PSX window corridor feature.

Cheers
G

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Bluestar on Sat,  2 Jul 2022 21:55
I can get PSX to backup sometimes.   I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others.  I did make sure the tire pressure was good and my toe brakes were not dragging.

Backup? You mean pushback/towing?

We can analyse situational problems or questions when you save a situ file that demonstrates your problem. It would be nice if you could upload your situ file to your Dropbox (or whatever site) or, if that's not possible, paste and copy the text content of the situ file in a forum post (within code tags, see the hashtag icon on the post editor).

In general, problems can be better discussed when each subject has a dedicated thread ... :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Bluestar

Just an update on where I am with this PSX journey.   :)

I have PSX running without any issues.  The PSX learning curve was longer than I expected, but once I figured out Hardy's logic it has been much smoother. 

I'm running PSX using WidePSX to supply updated weather from Active Sky and my P3d scenery (5.3).  The weather for PSX and P3d now match and that was all that I was asking.  The P3dv5.3 scenery is working without any issues.  I still need to do some work to get the P3d deck angle corrected, but that has to do with my flying style.

There are some very good AI Aircraft out there and I converted one of the B744s for use with PSX/P3d.  I may convert my PMDG B744s at a later date.  I am using SimBrief to do my flight planning and am slowly leaning (M03) it out to match my flying style. I will go to Real Traffic in a few days. 

Once everything settles down for a couple of weeks I will upgrade to the NG FMC.   

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

cavaricooper

Bode-

The PMDG 744 is way too complex for performance.... just use a freeware model... I seem to remember it worked fine with a FSX default in P3D as well... if that's of interest.

FWIW- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cavaricooper

Quote from: Bluestar on Fri,  8 Jul 2022 19:11
I am using SimBrief to do my flight planning and am slowly leaning (M03) it out to match my flying style.
Bode

If you still have PFPX lying around... Steve Bell has done Yeoman's work on the files for the 744... WELL WORTH reaching out to him.... par excellence...

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Bluestar

Just passed 100 hours at real time with no real issues.  PSX, P3dv5.3, AS, vPilot and WidePSX appeared to be playing well together. 

The only issue to resolve now is Real Traffic.  Since I fly mostly night freight there isn't much traffic.  I'm currently going PGUM-KSFO on vPilot and will get into KSFO about 6 P.M. local time which will let me know about Real Traffic. 

Bill
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Mandjare

Hello together,

after still using my beloved PS1.3 since ~ 2008 yesterday I bought this jewel PSX together with PFPX, incredible piece of software.
First hours were only on ground and in cockpit, making an intense familiarization tour... :-)

Greetings to all,
Andre

Bluestar

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum who have tried to help me through this adventure.   :)

As most have probably noticed there have been numerous issues related to my attempt to get PSX where I had wanted, none of them related to PSX.

I'm down to two issues that I am not able to resolve.  The first is my inability to get my yaw, roll and pitch channels to sync correctly with PSX.  The other is getting a site-picture that I can use for landing.   

Over the last couple of months I've flown PSX over 400 hours and it has performed flawlessly. 

Again thanks to everyone for their help and the professional attitude and respect shown fellow simmers and pilots. 

Be well and be safe,

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you, Bode :-)

Best wishes to you too.

|-|ardy

G-CIVA

Quote from: Bluestar on Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:20
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum who have tried to help me through this adventure.   :)

The other is getting a site-picture that I can use for landing.

That's great news!

I have one more thing that might help you with that sight picture you mention. If you are using a scenery generator. Within my scenery generator of choice (p3d) I have simply installed the plain vanilla FSX native B747-400. I have adjusted the viewpoint settings within the aircraft .cfg file.

It is important to note that these were not realistic to the actual correct settings in the first place & I had to do lost of tweaking & trial & error to get the settings that look about right.

Secondly, I fly my scenery generator in 1.0 zoom to achieve a decent level of focus & clarity, in cockpit view having pressed the A Key to remove all the internal cockpit panels. to gain a clear unobstructed view.

Firstly, here are some reference measurements for you:

And here are my actual entries in the .cfg file:

[Views]
eyepoint = -12.0, -1.8, 28.5    // Longitude, Latitude and Vertical position from Reference Point, (FEET)

The actual eyepoint position in the .cfg was 12ft further aft than it should be so I moved it forward.

It is now 1.8ft right of the centreline - the Capts Seat position

Its is 28.5ft above the ground.

I hope this helps.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Bluestar

Thanks Steve, I will give it a try. :)

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Bluestar

A little bit of trivia.  I just passed 19,000 hours of pilot time on Vatsim.  Head-shaking mode.  🤣
Grace and Peace,

Bode