News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Moving to PSX?

Started by Bluestar, Mon, 13 Jun 2022 03:10

Bluestar

I'm a former PS1.3 user who moved to the dark side and am seriously considering coming back to PSX.  I am now using P3dv5.3 and the PMDG B744.  I use Precision simulator yoke and throttle quadrant with the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.  I use an old X-52 joystick for a tiller.  I have a large number of add-on sceneries including Orbx and Flightbeam.  I normally do 8-10 hour flights using Vatsim and Active Sky.

What I need to know before I make the switch is what will and will not move over. What programs will I need (freeware and payware) will I need? Since I started with FS on a Commodore and never stopped I do have some abilities to make the necessary adjustment, but I just need to know before I commit to this.  It is important to me to be able to use Active Sky, fly on Vatsim and use P3d for my scenery. I like flying in weather, at night and at high Gross Weights (former military pilot).  I also like to do a lot of hand flying on my departures and approaches which includes a manual throttle. 

Bill

Grace and Peace,

Bode

Hardy Heinlin

Good morning,

if you want to use another flight simulator as an external scenery screen, all your add-ons to that external scenery won't be influenced by PSX. PSX just sends its position and attitude data; your external scenery screen will bank and pitch with the PSX flight deck. Your external scenery world remains autark. It remains your cinema. PSX is just the audience of your cinema. PSX itself is not an object within the scenery film.

747 related things like aerodynamics and avionics etc. are provided by PSX. Those things won't be influenced by the external scenery.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Ton van Bochove

Ton

andrej

Quote from: Bluestar on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 03:10
I'm a former PS1.3 user who moved to the dark side and am seriously considering coming back to PSX.  I am now using P3dv5.3 and the PMDG B744.  I use Precision simulator yoke and throttle quadrant with the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.  I use an old X-52 joystick for a tiller.  I have a large number of add-on sceneries including Orbx and Flightbeam.  I normally do 8-10 hour flights using Vatsim and Active Sky.

What I need to know before I make the switch is what will and will not move over. What programs will I need (freeware and payware) will I need? Since I started with FS on a Commodore and never stopped I do have some abilities to make the necessary adjustment, but I just need to know before I commit to this.  It is important to me to be able to use Active Sky, fly on Vatsim and use P3d for my scenery. I like flying in weather, at night and at high Gross Weights (former military pilot).  I also like to do a lot of hand flying on my departures and approaches which includes a manual throttle. 

Bill

Bill,

If you are using P3Dv5, then you would most likely need following Freeware software:

either 1. PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim (more information: https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3629.0)
or 2. WidePSX 2.5.8 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge (https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4558.0)

Both are stable solutions. Do note that I am using WidePSX with MSFS, and using WidePSX is simple process. PSX.NET P3D is also easy to use.

Using Yokes, Thrust levers, and rudders with the PSX is easy. If you use 2 joysticks, you could select one a tiller only.

Additional software that I use:

Freeware:
1. BACARS (https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2757.0 ; BA based ACARS system, the best thing is that you can obtain weather / ATIS from VATSIM controller)
2. Central Maintenance Computer for PSX (CMC-PSX) (https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2524.0)
3. PSX.NET (easy to use ground handling simulator; from loading, doors management to push-back; https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5808.msg63938#msg63938)
4. PSXInfo (landing scoring tool; sometimes I get 90% and sometimes I need to hand in my virtual license; https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=6061.msg66996#msg66996)

Payware:
1. PFPX (flight planning tool; much more complex vs. Simbrief; however not developed anymore and has a limited support; BUT the product is mature and stable; I use it for Weather injection - if you do have NG FMC installed)
2. TOPCAT (dispatch tool, take-off and landing calculator; older, not developed, might not be 100% accurate but it does job well (for Boeing 747-400 quite OK).

Combination of MSFS and PSX makes the flight experience very rewarding. Never flew B744 in the real world, but hand flying PSX is great and one has a feeling that it is a large jet. This is the best simulator, simple and honest answer.

From my experience, MSFS crashes often (on long flights), PSX is stable (never had a crash).

If I think of something else, I will advise. Hope this helps.

Best,

hoppie fixed a few typos for clarity
Andrej

Bluestar

Thanks for getting back to me. 

One thing I didn't seen addressed was Active Sky.  I really like the updated weather.  Can I use Active Sky with PSX and have PSX react accordingly? 
Grace and Peace,

Bode

asboyd

I use Active Sky with P3D set to use real time weather. You can set PSX to use real time weather as well and both seem to work together OK... At least I have not had any noticeable problems.
You may want to look at some of the winds aloft posts in this forum if you want to use them as well.

I have used both P3D Net and WidePSX and either one will provide you with smooth flying with P3DV5...
I also have MSFS but after the latest Maverick update, I noticed it started to freeze/jump every 20 seconds or so.

I have a lot more addons for P3D anyway so prefer it.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

cavaricooper

Bode... is this really you?  If so, welcome to the madness!  PSX is unlike anything else- with a scenery generator, or without.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

G-CIVA

Quote from: andrej on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:21

From my experience, MSFS crashes often (on long flights), PSX is stable (never had a crash).

PSX is incredibly stable...never had a crash...MSFS wins hands down on eye candy as a scenery generator but in my own mind I am prepared (literally) to sacrifice that eye candy in lieu of a more stable scenery generator in p3D.

You are already being given the salient guidance by others on what you will need to help you make your PSX experience more immersive than any other pay ware addon aircraft for any current flight simulator platform available for the foreseeable future.

Welcome to the PSX Forum & the wonderful friendly environment that is the PSX World; despite what Carl says this place is a much calmer place that most other flight simulation fora.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Bluestar

Quote from: cavaricooper on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 02:22
Bode... is this really you?  If so, welcome to the madness!  PSX is unlike anything else- with a scenery generator, or without.

Best- C

It is.  🤣

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Steve - Browny

Quote from: G-CIVA on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:30
PSX is incredibly stable...never had a crash...MSFS wins hands down on eye candy as a scenery generator but in my own mind I am prepared (literally) to sacrifice that eye candy in lieu of a more stable scenery generator in p3D.

On top of this, if you're going down the MSFS path, be willing to have forced updates on startup. Could delay your flight by quite some time to download a 40GB update.... Maybe that's why airline flights get delayed?  ::)

G-CIVA

Quote from: Steve - Browny on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:46Maybe that's why airline flights get delayed?  ::)

;D

Nice one Steve

In addition to the links already provided to the Freeware essentials you might wish to incorporate into your PSX world a shameless plug for my own little contribution...

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4820.0

Drop me an email by hitting the envelope icon in my profile & I'll happily send you the download link.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Steve - Browny on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:46
Could delay your flight by quite some time to download a 40GB update.... Maybe that's why airline flights get delayed?  ::)

Well, there is a particular update for the 787 to fix a CPDLC problem, which requires another update elsewhere, which requires... etc. The overall down time to load all this new software is over 16 hours. Hence who does it? You guess!

Hoppie

andrej

Quote from: G-CIVA on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 04:10
..... you might wish to incorporate into your PSX world a shameless plug for my own little contribution...

Drop me an email by hitting the envelope icon in my profile & I'll happily send you the download link.

Yes, and I am sorry for omitting this. It is a great project with detailed global fleet of B744s. I am sorry Steve that I forgot about it.

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 11:01
Well, there is a particular update for the 787 to fix a CPDLC problem, which requires another update elsewhere, which requires... etc. The overall down time to load all this new software is over 16 hours. Hence who does it? You guess!

Hoppie
You better get paid by an hour (and have a significant hourly rate). :)
Andrej

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I am not qualified to even TOUCH an airplane  :-D

I meant, few 787 operators will hurry to do these software upgrades. They typically wait for the next long downtime C-check.

Hoppie

PS. Take this literally: even if I am the lead engineer on a project, I need to ask qualified aircraft technicians to do everything for me, from pulling circuit breakers to loading software to running tests. Of course this only goes as far as practical. Once the techs assess my technical abilities around their aircraft they usually back off and let me do my stuff while they mop up afterwards. It's always a matter of mutual trust and verification of the killer items before putting the aircraft back on the line.

PPS. It also happens that an operator has freshly acquired a new kind of airframe and their techs don't know it yet and it is months from airworthiness re-certification and I find myself more knowledgable of the darn thing than any of the techs. This leads to interesting situations.

cavaricooper

Quote from: G-CIVA on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 04:10
Quote from: Steve - Browny on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 02:46Maybe that's why airline flights get delayed?  ::)

;D

Nice one Steve

In addition to the links already provided to the Freeware essentials you might wish to incorporate into your PSX world a shameless plug for my own little contribution...

Bode- Steve's files are integral to the experience and the currency (or history) of the 744 worldwide fleet. Wholeheartedly suggest you email the CC. ;)

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Bluestar

Ok folks.  I've been into getting PSX setup for the last couple of days.  I'm having several issues that I need to resolve and need to know if I need to start a separate thread for each issue.  I've researched most issues and read the various articles on trying to get PSX to run.  I know with the talent around this forum I'll get there.   :)
Grace and Peace,

Bode

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Bluestar on Tue, 21 Jun 2022 23:27
... if I need to start a separate thread for each issue.

It's better to use a separate thread for each issue.

If you found a thread that already discusses one of your specific issues, just add a post to that thread. Otherwise, please start a new thread for that specific issue.

Thank you!

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

Quote from: G-CIVA on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:30
Welcome to the PSX Forum & the wonderful friendly environment that is the PSX World; despite what Carl says this place is a much calmer place that most other flight simulation fora.

To clarify... I was referring to our passionate pursuit of authentic 744 flight (i.e. the Madness). I wholeheartedly agree this bit of the Tinternet is a welcome and unusual slice of sanity, competence and gentility. PSX is indeed different in EVERY way!
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Bluestar

Quote from: asboyd on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:15
I use Active Sky with P3D set to use real time weather. You can set PSX to use real time weather as well and both seem to work together OK... At least I have not had any noticeable problems.
You may want to look at some of the winds aloft posts in this forum if you want to use them as well.

I have used both P3D Net and WidePSX and either one will provide you with smooth flying with P3DV5...
I also have MSFS but after the latest Maverick update, I noticed it started to freeze/jump every 20 seconds or so.

I have a lot more addons for P3D anyway so prefer it.

Cheers,
AlexB

Which scenery generator are you currently using with PSX for P3dv5? 

Are you using an aircraft.cfg and if so which one are you using?  So far I'm not having a lot of luck getting the P3dv5 scenery going.

I'm probably going to need to start a new thread on the scenery generator.  I'm currently not real thrilled about going through 35+ pages of posts to get the scenery generator going. 🤣

Bode
Grace and Peace,

Bode

asboyd

I use WidePSX and occasionally PSX.Net (Both work for me).
I recently got hold of the POSKY classic 747 and use it with PSX... not a 400 but the externals look good and the eye points are good.

I only installed the POSKY 747 a couple of days ago, so have only tried it with WidePSX, I have not configured it for PSX.Net as yet.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia