News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

FDS CDU started acting up yesterday

Started by Will, Mon, 30 May 2022 20:20

Will

This doesn't seem to be a PSX problem, but I thought I'd start here because the PSX team is so knowledgeable, and because I know there are several FDS users here.

Yesterday I flew with my usual setup and everything was working. Then a few hours later I flew again, without changing anything in the interim except closing down the sim like I usually do.

The issue is that my FDC CDU has become intermittent with recognizing keypresses: the FDS keyboard stops working.

PSX shows the client as accepted, and the InterfaceIT Module Manager shows that the device is connected. No obvious connectivity problems (ooops, see "Edit" below), but the CDU keypresses don't register.

The CDU's monitor changes appropriately when I click on CDU keys in PSX.

Disconnecting the client in PSX and letting it reconnect can temporarily fix the problem, but after a few minutes the CDU's keys quit again, and so I need to repeat the disconnect and reconnect process.

This hasn't happened before, despite many hours of use over the last 10 months.

I didn't change anything in my system between yesterday afternoon (when everything was working as before) and yesterday evening, when this started, although at some point in the last 24 hours there were some Windows updates and BIOS updates that I installed.

Restarting the computer and power-cycling the FDS CDU didn't clear the issue.

Is anyone else seeing this?

If it helps, I'm using Windows 10, the latest InterfaceIT Module Manager, the latest PSX version, and Aeromap and PSX.net, although the issue has been present when I started with only the FDS CDU and PSX (no other network connections).

Thanks for your input.

Edit: Looking at "Status" on the InterfaceIT Module Manager does seem to show some connectivity issues after all. It's now showing "Not Connected: No such host is known." But this message isn't always there (sometimes it shows "Connected." Maybe it's a timing issue.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Anything in Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

"If things go sideways while nothing has changed, it's wiring."

Statistically the correct diagnostic...

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Example:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "299000.492043031"
   at java.base/java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:67)
   at java.base/java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:660)
   at java.base/java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:778)
   at Traffic.readGlobPos(Traffic.java:964)
   at Traffic.runDelta(Traffic.java:1166)
   at Core.runPresto(Core.java:1971)

All these reported input strings are incorrect injections from an external traffic add-on. These injections are in the high speed loop, i.e. you may get up to 72 error reports per second. This may slow down other PSX tasks too.

"299000.492043031", for example, is probably a traffic altitude in feet x 10 which is the correct factor. But the altitude format should be an integer without a decimal.

The affected Q string:
Qs450="TfcPos"; Mode=ECON; Min=56; Max=999;

The string stores lat;lon;alt;hdg; for each of the 7 TCAS aircraft.

If you load a situ file in a text editor and search for "TfcPos=", you will see a correct example of the string.

Will

The error messages seem to be coming from RealTraffic. I'll reach out to the developer and let him know. (I don't think the FDS keyboard issue is an interaction between FDS and RealTraffic, because the keyboard quit in a session or two where RealTraffic was never open.)

Meanwhile, instead of just power-cycling the FDS unit, I did a factory reset and then re-installed it (using the instructions from the tutorial I wrote!). I can't say for certain that this has fixed the problem for good, but everything worked well for a 25-minute session. I may get a chance for a longer test tonight.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Just to be sure: Did you update your FDS CDU interface software? I guess there'll be, or there is already, an update for the LCD CDU specific brightness pushbutton. Just checking that the problem is not related to this.

Will

I did not update the FDS CDU software, as no update is available yet.

However, things seem to be working now. I've used PSX for a combined 2+ hours since my last post and the CDU keyboard has continued to work the whole time. If things stay stable, then it looks like the factory reset is what helped.
Will /Chicago /USA

Will

Meanwhile... Balthasar from RealTraffic has been very helpful; he tells me he'll have an update soon that fixes the integer issue.
Will /Chicago /USA