News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Issue with my FMC displays

Started by asboyd, Sun, 15 May 2022 05:42

asboyd

Hi Guys,
Just wondering why my FMC displays have started acting up...
I have a cold and dark situ file
https://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/2022-05-15_04.40.52_00_Parked_CnD_P3D_-_Sydney.situ
associated with my Qantas OJB model
https://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/2022-05-15_04.41.19_Qantas_Airways_VH-OJB.model

My normal process to start up the aircraft is..
1. Switch battery selector to Auto
2. Connect battery using Korry switch
3. Connect both GND power links
4. Set IRS knobs to Nav
5. Turn Emergency Lights to armed
At this time I normally see the selection of FMC or ACARS on my CDU's

Recently I have noticed the FMC selection appears then disappears on both L/R CDU's. Leaving only the option of ACARS. (At this stage I am not running any add-ons or hardware I/F'd to PSX)

If I click on any button on one of the CDU's I suddenly get the FMC option on the other CDU. If I click the Init/ref button then I see the normal enter IRS coords page.

I have included both my model and situ files just in case I have something set that is not normal.

I also have found that switching the FMC selector above the upper Eicas from L to R or vice versa also causes the FMC option to appear on both CDU's.

Has anyone else noticed this anomoly...??

Cheers,
AlexB
Update: Sorry running PSX 10.155
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

John H Watson

I don't have the NG software, but the behaviour seemed normal with the regular FMC.

Are your Captain's Instrument Source Selector switches in unusual positions or is that just a side effect of my previous model selection?

I see your OJB model has a doors Auto/Manual indication, Auto Anti-Ice switches, a GRID indication and GE engines (real one didn't). Also needs a Gasper switch.

asboyd

I based my situ on the basic cold and dark one and moved to Sydney gate I32.
I used the Qantas OJB (ER PAX) with GE... (like the sounds)
I have not changed the Capt selectors.
I may have also selected down for on switch positions and changed the cockpit to a later version glass cockpit with NG FMC's I tried changing some of the equipment options to see if they were the cause of the issue, but they did not change anything so the situ and model I provided are what I have been using for 3 years at least....

Cheers,
AlexB

Will

Hi Alex,

Thanks again for your help when I was trying to connect my FDS CDU. Without your help and Hoppie's help, it might still be serving as an expensive paperweight.

On to your issue... I can't duplicate it. Whether flying with the situ and model I usually use, or flying with your downloaded situ and your downloaded VH-OJB, I see:

<FMC

<ACARS

And the <FMC stays put on the L and R CDUs, it doesn't disappear. When it disappears for you, how long does it take from when it appears to when it goes away? I would also wonder about any add-ons, but you say you don't have any of those running.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Assuming for the moment we are not facing new PSX anomalies inside the simulator, but instead simulated correct if not unexpected behaviour of the simulated aircraft... what FMS switching operations or restarting/reloading operations would be capable of causing the described effects?

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

I can't reproduce this problem.

Quote from: asboyd on Sun, 15 May 2022 05:42
Recently I have noticed the FMC selection appears then disappears on both L/R CDU's. Leaving only the option of ACARS.

If I click on any button on one of the CDU's I suddenly get the FMC option on the other CDU.

Is the "EFIS CP" in 1R removed as well?

If so, there might be a CDU text line transfer problem in your network. Are you running multiple PSX instances?

Otherwise, could it be that your mouse inadvertently cycle-clicks the "FMC L" CB on the overhead during your preflight steps? It will take some seconds until CDU L will redisplay the <FMC prompt.

Quote from: asboyd on Sun, 15 May 2022 05:42
I also have found that switching the FMC selector above the upper Eicas from L to R or vice versa also causes the FMC option to appear on both CDU's.

This sounds like a general CDU display refresh problem.

What if you just pan or zoom the PSX frame a little; will it also refresh the <FMC prompt?

Regards,

|-|ardy

asboyd

The EFIS CP items and Cntl Pl on off are all still on the right hand side.
I noticed when I was running through the start up that the left CDU would light up first with FMS, ACARS, etc then the right hand CDU would start and after a second FMS would disappear from both units when the ACARS CDU starts.

This is a networked solution. I have one machine running as the main system/instructor, one the MIP, another the EICAS and the fourth runs the CDU's (only two being shown using a single instance of PSX with a Display split down the centre for both CDU's). I will try with just the CDU PC running and see what happens.

I have a gigabit network between all machines and they have static IP's, no firewalls and are all connected to a KVM so I can access their main windows screens for admin. (I am beginning to suspect the KVM may be an issue, I might put the CDU PC on its own Kbd, mouse and screen to check.

In the past these have all run OK it is only recently that I have found the issue occuring.

Hardy, my mouse does not go anywhere near the Circuit breaker panel as it is not even displayed (I am leaving that until I get a hardware unit made up.

Cheers,
AlexB

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: asboyd on Sun, 15 May 2022 22:33
I noticed when I was running through the start up that the left CDU would light up first with FMS, ACARS, etc then the right hand CDU would start and after a second FMS would disappear from both units when the ACARS CDU starts.

... when the ACARS CDU starts...

Exactly what is going on there?

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Anything in Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt?

Quote... when the ACARS CDU starts...

Exactly what is going on there?

Probably just coincidence. ACARS doesn't start at this time. It's just the CDU screen blanking timer reaching zero on CDU C. I think my three CDUs have slightly different timings (by 1 sec) so that the power-up effect on the deck looks more realistic. If Alex pulls the "CDU C" circuit breaker before power-up, the problem will probably also happen at that point in time.