News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

New scenery bridge tool between PSX and MSFS

Started by CHEDHKG, Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:17

CHEDHKG

Quote from: kiek on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:33
Hi guys,

MSFS has sloped runways and taxiways. 

In PSXseeconTraffic I have solved that by monitoring 5 times per second (via SimConnect) whether the aircraft is on the ground ("SIM ON GROUND") and if so taking the groundAltitude ("Ground Altitude") +  the static altitude of the ac to the ground from center of gravity ("Static CG to Ground") for the next altitude of the aircraft in MSFS.

Works good.

Aircraft now also perfectly follow the slopes of the bridge over the motorway from runway 25R to the EDDF airport stands.

Nico

Hi Nico,

Thanks !  I have been playing with those variables, but the least to say is that the doc of Simconnect is not at its best...
The following variables are all deemed to be settable, but obviously not..

PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND MINUS CG
PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND
PLANE ALTITUDE

But it gives some room to wigle

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Stephan,

you might also want to search the forum (if not already done so) for post on the Qi198 "Elev" variable. You'll find some experience and discussion on how to inject external scenery elevation data into PSX.

Markus

p.s.
Checking out your new scenery bridge is still on my to-do list, looking forward to try it on my system.

kiek

Quote from: CHEDHKG on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:09
Quote from: kiek on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:33
Hi guys,

MSFS has sloped runways and taxiways. 

In PSXseeconTraffic I have solved that by monitoring 5 times per second (via SimConnect) whether the aircraft is on the ground ("SIM ON GROUND") and if so taking the groundAltitude ("Ground Altitude") +  the static altitude of the ac to the ground from center of gravity ("Static CG to Ground") for the next altitude of the aircraft in MSFS.

Works good.

Aircraft now also perfectly follow the slopes of the bridge over the motorway from runway 25R to the EDDF airport stands.

Nico

Hi Nico,

Thanks !  I have been playing with those variables, but the least to say is that the doc of Simconnect is not at its best...
The following variables are all deemed to be settable, but obviously not..

PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND MINUS CG
PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND
PLANE ALTITUDE

But it gives some room to wigle
I have given you the names of the SimConnect variables to use in my post (between parenthesis and quotes).  They are all to be read (only).
To set the altitude of an aircraft you should use the "SimConnect_SetDataOnSimObject" function.

I use SimConnect now for about 8 years and have no problems at all, works rock solid. You can use the same SimConnect interface for FSX, P3D and MSFS.

CHEDHKG

I have given you the names of the SimConnect variables to use in my post (between parenthesis and quotes).  They are all to be read (only).
To set the altitude of an aircraft you should use the "SimConnect_SetDataOnSimObject" function.

I use SimConnect now for about 8 years and have no problems at all, works rock solid. You can use the same SimConnect interface for FSX, P3D and MSFS.

Indeed Kiek,
This is exactly what I am doing and it works flawlessly. I was just pointing out the indigent documentation of MSFS SDK, bloated with contradictions and incorrect statements.. That does not help :)

Cheers,

CHEDHKG

Hi guys,

Just uploaded to Github what might be the v1.0 release of this tool. (cf. first post for details)

It should now have some smoother air<->ground transition as well as getting rid of the new for some external DLLs.

The only caveat is that in some situ loading, you might want to load the situ twice as MSFS has some difficulties in loading its scenario which might confuse PSX.

I have tested it for quiet a few long haul flights without any significant bug or crash. Please feel free to test it and report any bug/crash.

Next on the to-do list: allow PSXMSFS to be enslaved to MSFS for easy positioning for example.

Cheers

B747-400

Hi Stephan,

thanks for your efforts.

Cheers
Hans

Berndo

Hi Stephan!

Thanks for your tool, I like it.  :)

As I got in with version 0.99 and now 1.00 I may have missed some stuff regarding the handling:

) The default 747-8i has to have the engines or APU running, otherwise comm radios won't work (e.g. the radios of vPilot stay silent as the MSFS avionics are off). The engine/APU/generator stuff is not synced, correct?

) The transponder state is not synced (e.g. STBY, TA/TA). Is that planned for a future update?

) Altitude during cruise differs between PSX and MSFS. I guess this will go away once you sync the weather?

Cheers,
Bernd

Britjet

Hi Stephan,

With 1.00 the 747 Centre position appears to be wrong. It appears to be now far to the rear, close to where the fuselage tapers upwards?
Peter

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Britjet on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:12
Hi Stephan,

With 1.00 the 747 Centre position appears to be wrong. It appears to be now far to the rear, close to where the fuselage tapers upwards?
Peter

Hi Peter,
That' s weird... I did not change anything regarding that. Let me have a look

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Berndo on Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:21
Hi Stephan!

Thanks for your tool, I like it.  :)

As I got in with version 0.99 and now 1.00 I may have missed some stuff regarding the handling:

) The default 747-8i has to have the engines or APU running, otherwise comm radios won't work (e.g. the radios of vPilot stay silent as the MSFS avionics are off). The engine/APU/generator stuff is not synced, correct?

) The transponder state is not synced (e.g. STBY, TA/TA). Is that planned for a future update?

) Altitude during cruise differs between PSX and MSFS. I guess this will go away once you sync the weather?

Cheers,
Bernd

1/ Yes that is correct, you need to start MSFS ready for take off and not cold and dark
2/ Should be sync' ed, you might need however to make one initial change in PSX for it to be reflected in MSFS
3/ Let me have a look. That might come indeed from local pressure and weatehr settings

andrej

Quote from: Berndo on Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:21

Bernd,

this I believe is still (un)resolved bug in the MSFS (not sure about recent Update 9). Altitude (even if PSX is in STD) changes based on a real world weather. Whenever I fly online and I am in a cruise, I change to "Clear Skies". Descent and climb are real world weather. This reduced confusion with the ATC (but once explained, they are accommodation).

More information:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vatsim-ivao-pilotedge-users-be-aware-of-an-important-bug/426142/450
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vatsim-altitude-disagree-with-in-game-altitude/489150/38

Best,
Andrej

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Britjet on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:12
Hi Stephan,

Peter

Peter,

How did you notice that effect ? I am using actually the coordinates from the flight desk, but indeed applying them to the center of the aircraft in MSFS....  I noticed that while testing the slave<-> master and switching back and forth: the plane jumped a few meters ahead

Probably need to do some trigonometry here.

Berndo

@CHEDHKG

Thanks for your quick reply, I will try it with a running plane in MSFS, that may also have influenced the transponder.

@andrej

Oh, I didn't know that. Could well be, I'll read that thread.

Cheers,
Bernd

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: CHEDHKG on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:47
I am using actually the coordinates from the flight desk, but indeed applying them to the center of the aircraft in MSFS....

My flightdeck position formula that I implemented is somewhere on the forum, I think. Did you notice that post or did you develop a formula on your own? Just asking before I start a long search ...

|-|ardy

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:12
Quote from: CHEDHKG on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:47
I am using actually the coordinates from the flight desk, but indeed applying them to the center of the aircraft in MSFS....

My flightdeck position formula that I implemented is somewhere on the forum, I think. Did you notice that post or did you develop a formula on your own? Just asking before I start a long search ...

|-|ardy

Hi Hardy,

Yes just saw now the formula: https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2969.msg29917#msg29917
Will amend my code accordingly.

Thanks for pointing that out

Berndo

Regarding the transponder I have to say that the code is perfectly transferred to MSFS, the state (STBY, TA, TA/RA) however is not.
I tried to move the MSFS one manually, to get an intial sync but that also didn't work.

Is it syncing for everyone else? Cause if so, I've got to dig deeper into my MSFS installation.

Cheers,
Bernd

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Berndo on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:36
Regarding the transponder I have to say that the code is perfectly transferred to MSFS, the state (STBY, TA, TA/RA) however is not.
I tried to move the MSFS one manually, to get an intial sync but that also didn't work.

Is it syncing for everyone else? Cause if so, I've got to dig deeper into my MSFS installation.

Cheers,
Bernd

Let me check if that can be synch' ed in MSFS.

Britjet

I found the X- axis position problem because all my saved positions in PSX are now inside the terminal building!
Basically it's too far aft by several metres.
Rotating the aircraft using the heading slider on the Aerodynamics page shows the rotation about the X-axis somewhere near where the fuselage starts to slope up toward the tail.
Hope that helps!
Peter

CHEDHKG

Quote from: Britjet on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:27
I found the X- axis position problem because all my saved positions in PSX are now inside the terminal building!
Basically it's too far aft by several metres.
Rotating the aircraft using the heading slider on the Aerodynamics page shows the rotation about the X-axis somewhere near where the fuselage starts to slope up toward the tail.
Hope that helps!
Peter

Thank you Peter.
I did not realize some coordinates related to the flightdeck and some to the aircraft center. SHould be easy to fix.
I can send you a link with this fix probably tonight (together with a switch to enslave PSX to MSFS)

Berndo

Quote from: CHEDHKG on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 00:16
Quote from: Berndo on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:36
Cheers,
Bernd

Let me check if that can be synch' ed in MSFS.

Thanks for looking into it!

Cheers,
Bernd