News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Downloaded PSX update but PSX version will not change

Started by AtlasMark, Thu, 3 Mar 2022 20:38

AtlasMark

Hi Hardy,

I hope all is well.

Thank you so much for the much needed NG FMC update ... I'm about to purchase it, but I think I have to update the version of Aerowinx on my Windows 10, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor PC first. The program was downloaded onto my PC from the Aerowinx CD (version 10.1.7), so I only need to open the program from the desktop icon. I have Java version 8 too. At the moment, according to the About page in the Instructor tab, I have version 10.92. A little confusion here - as always - I need Precision Simulator version 10.93 or higher. I followed your instructions to download Precision Simulator update 10.150 to the Aerowinx folder, but it didn't overwrite the older version, or offer an option to do it. I don't use multiple Aerowinx folders in a local network, so that's not an issue either. I'm afraid of uninstalling the older version until I know what's happening. I'd be immensely appreciative if you could help. I'm really looking forward to installing the NG FMC as that's all we use now at Atlas. All our simulators have been upgraded, so using the legacy version to prep for upcoming training events will be problematic.
I thank you in advance, Hardy and look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: AtlasMark on Thu,  3 Mar 2022 20:38
... to download Precision Simulator update 10.150 to the Aerowinx folder, but it didn't overwrite the older version ...

Hi Mark.

Q1: What browser are you using?

Q2: When you click the download link, what does your browser ask you?

Q3: What download folder is set in your browser's preferences?

Regards,

|-|ardy

asboyd

Now the biggie.... where did you install Aerowinx?

It is best to have the Aerowinx folder under C:\.....
Do not install under your library folders or any of the Windows "Program....." folders.

Move Aerowinx to C:\ or whichever drive you want to use (eg D:\)...

If you installed under a system owned folder Windows will block overwriting....

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

AtlasMark

Hello Hardy,

I'm using Firefox. When I download the link, it asks where I want to save it or open it with Firefox .. I use the save option. I then move the download to the Aerowinx folder in my OS(C:) drive. I don't use Firefox to open the program, it was downloaded onto my C drive with a purchased CD.

Hi Alex .. my Aerowinx is installed on my OS(C:) drive.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: AtlasMark on Fri,  4 Mar 2022 10:49
I then move the download to the Aerowinx folder ...

Q4: What's the name of "the download" and what is its time stamp and file size?

Q5: When you move it to the Aerowinx folder, will you get an overwrite warning?

AtlasMark

A4: AerowinxNgFmcManual.pdf  3/3/2022  7:24am Microsoft Edge PDF 12,298KB

A5: No overwrite warning.

AtlasMark

Correction ...

A4: Aerowinx(1).jar 3/3/2022 07:10AM Executable Jar File 7,338KB

A5: No overwrite warning.

andrej

Try to rename the file to: Aerowinx.jar

How?
Click on it, press "F2" key

Then use renamed file and copy it into your Aerowinx folder.

Hope it works.

Best,
Andrej

AtlasMark

Thanks for the suggestion, Andre

So I tried it and it then asked me if I wanted to rename it Aerowinx(2).jar  LOL

Avi

Delete (or rename) your original Aerowinx.jar file and from your new file remove the "(2)".
Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

Mark, do you understand the principle? The file name must be Aerowinx.jar -- exactly like that.

If the Aerowinx file in your Downloads folder has a name with a number suffix, you probably have an Aerowinx.jar file already there which you probably downloaded in the past years.

When you download a new Aerowinx.jar into your Downloads folder, first delete your old Aerowinx.jar in your Downloads folder. Or set your Windows or Firefox preferences so that copies will overwrite existing files instead of adding numbers to the file names.

asboyd

Mark,
Is UAC turned off on your PC?
If not then Windows will always "add" the file with a number extension rather than overwrite it.
Go into account options and set UAC to off....

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

AtlasMark

I just followed your instructions, Hardy ... removed the old Aerowinx.jar ... then reomoved the (1) from the new Aerowinx.jar download and that seemed to work. But now, I have both versions, which is okay, because I had all the Atlas situations on the old version ... now to figure out how to move them over to the new version.

Hi Alex,
I do have UAC on. Isn't that supposed to help prevent viruses?

Hardy Heinlin

Mark, your situation files are NOT in the Aerowinx.jar file.

When you copy a new Aerowinx.jar file, it will NOT change your situation files.

Your situation files are stored in the subfolder Aerowinx/Situations/...

Just load PSX as usual and check the Instructor > About page: What version is indicated? 10.150?

Then go to Instructor > Situations > Load: Do you see all your Atlas situations? I hope so.

An Aerowinx.jar update is really simple. It's just a matter of seconds. You need not care about any other personal files. They remain where they are.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: AtlasMark on Fri,  4 Mar 2022 20:34
I do have UAC on. Isn't that supposed to help prevent viruses?
Yes, but it does so in a rather crude and often inconvenient way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

It almost reduces you to a click-here-thank-you robot. Simple things like installing software suddenly become complicated because you don't download it from the Microsoft store, etc.

Hoppie

AtlasMark

Thanks Hardy, I got it all figured out. Now just to see how to add the Navburo update 12. Just waiting for the purchased NG FMC email to arrive too.

Cheers Hoppie, that's been my issue.

AtlasMark

Hi Hardy,

I hope all is well.

I received the purchased license for the NG FMC software. I followed the instructions of copying it, unopened, to the Extra folder, which was empty, then started the Aerowinx program, but I saw no changes to the FMC. I called Peter at Flightdeck Solutions to see if I was missing anything, and he assured me I had everything.
What I did notice, when I downloaded the License, was that it looked too small to be a zip file. Its only 284KB. Am I missing something larger? Thanks.

Avi

Two things:

Firs of all, open the Instructor / About page. Do you see in green +Aerowinx NG FMC license as Extra licenses installed?

If yes (and I guess you do), it is installed.

If it does, go to the Model / FMS page and select NG FMC installed.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

AtlasMark

YES!!! Got it all sorted ....

Thanks, Avi.

Best regards.

Hardy Heinlin

Thanks for the purchase.

In addition to what Avi wrote, here are some more NG things that are nice to know:

https://aerowinx.com/downloads/AerowinxNgFmcManual.pdf

Best wishes,

|-|ardy