News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Rudder trim set during engine(s) out

Started by Cbf, Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:55

Cbf

Hi all,
I experiment engine(s) out procedure during cruise. I have a Thrutmaster joystick T-16000M and T-Rudder. When engine failure occurs, I press space key and then F/O sets trim at approx 5 units (outboard engine). A/P is engaged. It works fine. If I slightly joystick (very slightly pressing PTT key for example) in roll mode, slip indicator goes full right or left!
Actually, during engine failure, I just use rudder pedals and no rudder trim until landing. It works fine even with 2 engines out same side.
Anybody have an idea?

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Cbf on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:55
If I slightly joystick (very slightly pressing PTT key for example) in roll mode, slip indicator goes full right or left!

Hi, I cannot reproduce this problem. Maybe you have accidentally assigned a rudder pedal button to your PTT button on the USB page? I guess your slip is caused by a rudder deflection. Did you check your rudder indicator?

Once the PNF has set the trim, the PNF won't make any further actions until you hit the space key again. You may also check the little flight control display in the top left corner of the PSX frame.

Cbf

Hi hardy,
Thanks for your help.
I just retried with engine 4 out and A/P engaged.
- Space key pressed: Slip indicator centered, Rudder trim NL 6, Rudder position beetween SPL and ELEV on Status page an Rudder left amber on top left indicator.
- Joystick slightly moved: Slip indicator left, Rudder trim NL 10, Rudder position beetween SPL and ELEV on Status page and Rudder left amber flikers on top left indicator. Impossible to center Rudder trim, A/P engaged  or disengaged.
I tried more than 10 times. All seems OK the last 3 times. Space key is really usefull when it works properly.
Maybe a USB problem?

Hardy Heinlin

The rudder indicator in the top left corner is flashing as long as the PNF is busy with the trim. You shouldn't move your controls manually while it is flashing. When it has stopped flashing, the trim is finally set and you may move your controls. Otherwise the PNF's trim procedure will chase your manual control inputs. Any control input will slightly influence the slip behaviour. That's normal. Yaw dampers are reactive, not predictive. And the PNF's trim procedure is busy as long as the slip is not absolutely zero.

Maybe your mechanical PTT action also moves your stick axes by a millimeter.

And just to be sure: For this feature the space key should be hit, not permanently pressed.

Regards,

|-|ardy