News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

USB button box

Started by Will, Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:56

Will

I would like to pull out the soldering iron and make a "button box." The finished product would be a plug-and-play USB box with numerous buttons that are read by the operating system as a game controller (e.g., a joystick with buttons but without the "joystick" part, just with the buttons).

Any idea what the limit is on the number of buttons that one USB device can have? (The operating system in question is Windows 10, but the question is relevant for PSX as well: do either Windows 10 or PSX have an upper limit to the number of buttons that can belong to any one controller?)

Thanks.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hardy Heinlin

PSX can load up to 256 USB parts (axes, buttons), and up to 64 USB devices (wires), whichever is higher.

|-|ardy

Will

Thanks Hardy, that's helpful. So if Windows can handle a box with 512 buttons, PSX will only see the first 256? And if I hypothetically have three controllers with 128 buttons each, PSX will see two out of the three (256 buttons total) and won't see the third?

However, this is all academic anyway, since I'm only thinking of 24-64 buttons max, well below the PSX limit. But I still wonder what limit Windows 10 has per USB device. If the Windows limit is 32, I may need to make two devices...
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin