News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Throttletek 747 quadrant?

Started by Will, Fri, 10 Dec 2021 13:59

Will

I'm using a hat switch on the joystick for both rudder trim and stabilizer trim, but your setup looks good.

I'm not ready to move beyond plug & play peripheral equipment yet... maybe someday. (Although I do have the FDS CDU, and that wasn't *exactly* plug and play. But not what I'd call maximum-intensity networking, either.)

And speaking of FDS, they seem to have removed the assorted B747 hardware from their website. I suppose you could still contact them and ask what they'd be willing to build, but they're clearly not emphasizing off-the-shelf B747 cockpit equipment anymore.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Will on Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:24
And speaking of FDS, they seem to have removed the assorted B747 hardware from their website.

Are you using older FDS shop links? I still see 747 stuff and links on their web pages:

https://flightdecksolutions.com/components/p/fds-b747-pro-mx-cdu-e

https://flightdecksolutions.com/our-fleet/B747

|-|

Will

I see that, but as recently as 2-3 months ago they had links to their stand-alone MCP, and photos of their EFIS buttons and EICAS controls. Maybe other parts, too. My guess is that they have shifted to concentrating on whole B747 sims now, as opposed to selling individual components? (Except the CDU, of course.)
Will /Chicago /USA

emerydc8

You're probably right -- I'm not seeing the rudder trim unit they used to list on their website, but I'd bet they still sell it.

Will

Well... my Throttletek arrived. I have to say, I agree with all the comments and mini-reviews posted here.

Calibration was a bit fiddly, with calibration (or setup) in Windows being essential, followed by calibration in PSX.

The only problems were with the reversers, and I guess I experienced the same basic issues I'm sure everyone else has seen, but I ultimately solved the problems by setting the throttles' aft stop at 975 instead of 1000 in PSX, and then using the technique of triple-clicking the A/T disconnect to synch the thrust levers in PSX with the throttles. Done on approach prior to landing, this has so far ensured that the throttles are full aft when retarded all the way. On takeoff, I stand the throttles up, hit TO/GA, then push them all the way forward. The A/T brings them back to the takeoff setting. So far, this has worked for reverser activation on rejected takeoffs. Alternatively, pulling the thrust levers back and triple-clicking A/T disconnect works as well.

After final fiddling and calibrating, I flew 10 landings tonight, and 10 rejected takeoffs, and the reversers worked properly each time.

What this really adds in terms of "fun" is the proper activation of the reversers: from stowed, to reverse idle, to full reverse, and back again. I had been doing triple-BKSP up until now, so there's some more concentration involved after touchdown, but like I said, it's fun.

Will /Chicago /USA

andrej

Will,

some time has passed and I am wondering, what you think of the quadrant?

Thanks!
Andrej

Will

Hi Andrej,

I like it, it certainly gets the job done. It still works as well as it did when it arrived... nothing has broken or degraded. I'm not building a home cockpit so I'm not trying to integrate it within a bigger console. So for me what really makes the difference is having every lever (including the reverse levers) working. This is the only piece of commercially available equipment I know of that can make that claim.

The down sides are that it's not machined on the same equipment that makes actual Boeing parts, so there are some concessions here and there. The throttle grips and the flap grip are wood, for example. And you can tell that the friction in the unit comes from its own internal torque rod, as opposed to coming from cables that are connected to actual engines. In particular, the reverser levers don't have the natural resistance you'd expect compared to the real aircraft.

Otherwise it's pretty good. Any specific questions about it?
Will /Chicago /USA

andrej

Hi Will,

thanks for your feedback. I wanted to know how happy your were with the product. There is nothing particular in regards to B744 Throttle. You have provided me with more than enough information.

Thank you!
Andrej