News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Navigraph Database

Started by Mariano, Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:49

Dirk Schepmann

Sinne there are regular Updates available (at least for some of us), perhaps Hardy could modify PSX that the data on the IDENT page show the date of the installed database?

If fictional dates are important for Training purposes (at flight schools), a checkbox might help.

Just an idea .... I don't know how complicated and time-consuming that is.

Best,
Dirk

Hardy Heinlin

The sim's database is more than just an FMC database; the sim's database contains the earth's runways, radio stations etc. It's not plausible to change sim world facilities by actions in the FMC. Also, the sim time is variable and coupled with situ files. Situations don't contain nav database files. The whole PSX logic is consistent. I'll keep it as is because I think any additional exception will make it more confusing. The only thing the users need to do for their understanding is to read that important sentence in the installation instruction. It's not even RTFM. It's just "read that sentence".

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

Actually, I don't know the installation text in Navigraph's and Aerosoft's new monthly service.

Here's the installation text in Aerosoft's first PSX database for 2021:

Unzip the downloaded file into your Aerowinx Precision Simulator installation folder
This will copy the nav data automatically into the subfolder Aerowinx/Navigation/-Custom/List
Run the Precision Simulator and open the menu
"ESC–Instructor" - "About/Quit": Enable the options "Optional database for entertainment usage only" and "Aerosoft Nav Database selection enabled"

Now you can select the "2105-Aerosoft" database from the database selection drop-down list
If you use multiple computers in a local Precision Simulator network, install the file in the same way also on those computers. With one purchased download you are allowed to use up to four database copies within your local network. Note: The selectable dates on the IDENT page of the FMS vary with the situational, simulated time of the year (refer to page 346); the date selection is intended for FMS training only, and doesn't refer to the physically installed cycle.

Hardy Heinlin

Just curious: How is that in X-Plane and MSFS when the user swaps the databases in the FMC while, say, the selected database has a new runway and the aircraft in the scenery is standing on that runway? Will that runway disappear from the scenery?

Or is it impossible anyway to swap databases on the FMC IDENT pages of X-Plane and MSFS?

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Hardy,

to my best knowledge, databases cannot be swapped in X-Plane or MSFS or P3D airplanes (default or add-on); I've never seen this feature. Usually, the user installs (typically by 3rd party tools) a new database which is then "the active" database.

Also, the scenery system and the database are two different systems in all visual flight sims. There is no connection. But it's the same in the real world - the FMC computer does not know the outside world. As we know, it's just a database. (And we don't live in "The Matrix" - yet. :-) ).

Markus

United744

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 15:03
Just curious: How is that in X-Plane and MSFS when the user swaps the databases in the FMC while, say, the selected database has a new runway and the aircraft in the scenery is standing on that runway? Will that runway disappear from the scenery?

Or is it impossible anyway to swap databases on the FMC IDENT pages of X-Plane and MSFS?

None of the aircraft or simulators permit you to change the database (or swap it in the FMC) while the simulator is running.

For X-Plane specifically, the database drives the navigation beacons and ILS frequencies and courses, but the scenery itself is not database driven. You could remove the database entirely and the scenery would remain unchanged.

EC-JCP

Dear Hardy,

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Jorge.