News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

All Light Switches Question For Aerowinx - Labeling OFF/ON

Started by Captain_al, Tue, 28 Sep 2021 06:57

Captain_al

Hi Hardy:

I can't believe I never noticed this before on Aerowinx 747.

If this is an option, I have never seen it before and I am not aware of anyone who would have this configuration. But I could be wrong.

It would be awkward as hell to take the runway and have to pull up on the Landing Light switch to turn them on for takeoff. Any jet or simulator I have ever been in, you always turn on the lights with an up to down motion, not down to up motion. All the lights are configured that way, so is this really an option or are the labels backwards?

If it is, I have never seen it in over 30 years, in any FCOM, and never in any Boeing customer I have ever trained and any airline I have ever flown with??? Please tell me it ain't so...

John H Watson

Thai International

You can see most of the light switches in the down position at the gate here:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Thai-Airways-International/Boeing-747-4D7/240070/L?qsp=eJwljUEOgjAQRe/y12xQQ2J34gF0wQUm0xEa0TbTSZAQ7m6B3cub//8s4Pg1%2BVk3J4FDFlIeUCGR0ifDLaCgrPSylnLgI3a61NcKb5mnqL6E0A0UttIQLd7JpI86wzUVclRrC8IXe2OWZOJx%2BId60e0kmfePfZmuC4g%2Bd8a5Kd6HnEbaN8QojFjXPy%2B7PLM%3D

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said during PS1/PSX development.... "In all my years of experience, I've never seen..."  :D

(been guilty of it myself)

Hardy Heinlin

By the way, the option doesn't only affect the lighting switches but also anti-ice, emergency exit, oxygen, washer ...

The Lufthansa sims also have ON=up; other airline crews that use the LH sims know that.

double-alpha

Airbus also have ON=UP

It's funny because it is not a big challenge, but When you switch from Airbus to Boeing or vice versa, during the very first hours you sometimes take off or land with your landing lights OFF...

Captain_al

OK, never came across that, I did train Thai, but in Boeing simulators. Probably never noticed it in their FCOM.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle, as they used to say, learned something new.

I would be one of them turning the lights off when they should be on...

Captain_al

Hardy, is there an option to reverse that in Aerowinx for those folks like me who only know it that one way and are used to it that way? Not a huge deal, but would be nice.

Might be something to consider as an option...

Hardy Heinlin

It is already an option.

I thought you know that :-) and that you're just wondering whether it is an option in real life too.
It's been an option in Aerowinx for 25 years now.

Please go to Instructor > Model > Equipment and find this checkbox:

[x] Toggle switches: ON up

Note that model settings are stored in situ files and model files. If you load a Lufthansa situ or model, that checkbox will get reselected.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Captain_al

OK, wonderful, I thought it might be but i did not take the time to go look.

I am so happy now, I can change it and not turn the lights off when they should be on.

There is a lot I don't know that is in this masterpiece, it is like looking at a Picasso and saying "nice colors" and not noticing anything else.

BTW, today I am getting the NG FMC, yippee ! ;D

Captain_al

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

However...

Wikipedia:

QuoteOrientation
The direction which represents "on" also varies by country. In the US, Canada, European countries, Russia, etc., it is usual for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in many other countries such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand (Commonwealth countries) and Ireland, it is "down". (In multiway switching, the correspondence between a single switch's state and whether lights are on or off depends on the state of the other switch[es] in the circuit.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_switch#Orientation

If you search on the web for "Boeing 747-400 overhad panel" images you will see both variants.