News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

(again) networking

Started by Ton van Bochove, Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:53

Ton van Bochove

On my PSX server computer (IP 10.0.0.20) I have an second instance of PSX for my FDS MCDU. It works well but after 10 minutes the FDS software hangs and the keystrokes are frozen. The monitor works.

So I decided to connect the FDS-MCDU now physically to the Client computer (IP 10.0.0.21) and move the second instance and the FDS software to my Client computer (IP 10.0.0.21) where X-Plane resides ( X-Plane has a good onnection with the PSX server).

After a restart of both instances and the FDS software there is no connection between the keyboard of the FDS MCDU neither shows the monitor an image from the server instance (Black)

Just one question to be sure.

On the PSX server the Preference>Basics in the box"this client connects to" I have the IP of the client (IP 10.0.0.21)

On the client server the Preference>Basics in the box"this client connects to" I have the IP of the server (IP 10.0.0.20)

Is this setup correct?
Ton

Will

I can't help with networking issues, but as you may know, I just installed an FDS MCDU, so I have a tiny bit of familiarity with that. :-)

I find it a little hard to believe that moving the FDS software and the 2nd instance of PSX to a different computer would improve your situation. If the FDS software itself is freezing, maybe that's not a networking problem? When you say it hangs, do you mean that the Task Manager (or Activity Monitor) shows the software as "Not responding?"

Also, as a second issue, when you say "neither shows the monitor an image from the server instance (Black)," first, is the MCDU showing up as a separate monitor? Can you drag things onto it? Are you saying that you drag the PSX instance onto it and then it's black? Or is it black from the very beginning?

I'm sure you already know this, but if the PSX screen is black after you drag it onto another monitor, you may be able to fix that by checking the box that allows you to drag the screen across multiple displays.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:53
On the PSX server the Preference>Basics in the box"this client connects to" I have the IP of the client (IP 10.0.0.21)

The "This client connects to" box only has a function when this instance is a client. When this instance is a server, the entry is meaningless.

Quote from: Ton van Bochove on Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:53On the client server the Preference>Basics in the box"this client connects to" I have the IP of the server (IP 10.0.0.20)

"Client server"? You probably meant to write "client". Yes, that's correct then. This client connects to the server's IP which you enter in that box.

|-|ardy

Ton van Bochove

@Will
QuoteI find it a little hard to believe that moving the FDS software and the 2nd instance of PSX to a different computer would improve your situation. If the FDS software itself is freezing, maybe that's not a networking problem? When you say it hangs, do you mean that the Task Manager (or Activity Monitor) shows the software as "Not responding?"

The problem is there on one computer: PSX server is running and the hardware MCDU gets a  its data from the 2nd instance which is configured as client. So the network problem is not at that situation. Taskmanager says it is active and I see sometimes some activity but it looks like freezing: the keyboard is functionless but the lights of the MCDU stay on.

For that reason I was looking for an alternative situation to see if it works on another configuration. The motile display is checked in the client version.

@Hardy,

Thanks, now I know what that the connection is correct
Ton

asboyd

I am assuming that when you write the MCDU gets its data from the client PC, you mean its display is connected to the client PC. The FDS MCDU should still point to the PSX server PC for its networking data.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia