News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Basic Ethernet question: FDS MCDU connected to PC by cable

Started by Will, Thu, 16 Sep 2021 03:52

asboyd

Then set your PC address to 192.168.1.253 subnet 255.255.255.0 and then connect your MCDU. If they are correct you should be able to connect to 192.168.1.100 from your browser.

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Will

It works! More halleluiahs and observations later.. for now, it works. Thanks for your help.
Will /Chicago /USA

asboyd

No problems....after 38 years in IT and unable to find work cause I am not suitable (ie too old), I still gotit......

Glad you're all working OK... Enjoy!

Cheers,
AlexB

Will

Hoppie, Alex, Markus, thank you very much for your help. All is now working. It was actually fairly simple in the end: once you get the MCDU and the PC talking to each other, you use your web browser to connect to the MCDU and that lets you run a simple config app, and from there the interfaceIT Module Manager auto-detects the device. You can then load a pre-loaded PSX module and everything then works as advertised: pushing a button on the MCDU "pushes" the same button on the PSX FMC, and when the PSX FMC displays a light ("EXEC" or "DSPY" for example), the correct light illuminates on the hardware MCDU. Neat.

Okay, here is a step-by-step guide for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

1. Connect three cables to the MCDU: 12V power, HDMI to your PC's monitor output, and Ethernet to your PC's Ethernet jack.
2. In Windows 10, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet > Change adapter options.
3. Right-click on Ethernet, select Properties.
4. Right-click on IPv4, select Properties.
5. Set IP address to 192.168.1.253, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.1. Leave the rest blank.
6. Perform a hard reset of the MCDU per the instructions in the manual.
7. Open a browser window and navigate to 192.168.1.200; you will see the Configuration Portal.
8. Under Settings, save the current configuration. The device will reboot.
9. Now, run the InterfaceIT Module Manager.
10. Click "Add" to add the new device, which is now discoverable.
11. Under "Available Modules," pick Aerowinx PSX.
12. Under Assignment, pick C, L, or R CDU.
13. Run PSX as main server, watch the MCDU client be accepted. Everything now works!
14. Open a second instance of PSX as a client.
15. Resize Layout 1 on the second instance to be about the size of the MCDU window, and move into position on the MCDU hardware.
16. Copy Layout 1 to all 9 layouts and save as a new 9pack. Load via a dedicated pref file when starting with AerowinxNetStart.jar, or load manually.
17. Remove window tags, remove bezels, etc.
18. Set Windows to REMOVE TASKBAR on all windows other than the main one. (This gets rid of the white stripe.)

Now you have a fully functioning, networked hardware MCDU!

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your help and your patience.

Will /Chicago /USA

asboyd

Avi

Quote from: Will on Sat, 18 Sep 2021 03:47
Okay, here is a step-by-step guide for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation...

Hi Will,

Your post will get lost this way.
I suggest you to open a new thread with the title "How to connect a FDS MCDU to a PC by cable – User guide", copy and paste your post and ask Hardy to pin it.

It will be the best thing.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Will

Thank you Avi, that is a good suggestion.

I will repost an edited version later today, and Hardy can pin it if he likes.
Will /Chicago /USA