News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

End of "the game"...

Started by cagarini, Tue, 3 Aug 2021 07:48

cagarini

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/59-million-americans-prohibited-buying-high-end-dell-gaming-pcs

Well, I am extremelly picky regarding power / water / gas... comsumption, and my home and office PCs only get power ON while I strictly need to use it, so with what I've been reading about comsumption of this modern rigs, and even worst of those  GPUs used in crptomining, I sympathize with the idea of imposing some control on home devices, but, just as many other sujects, it can rush into extremes...

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Well, with the introduction of Windows-in-the-cloud, we've opened the door wide to no more PC, period. At home and at work you will have a monitor with keyboard and mouse, that has built-in DRM crypto. The cloud will run all your software remotely and you get a live stream of whatever you run. That live stream is encrypted towards only your monitor, using some kind of ID system that is only you. Hence, no more installations, no more copying, no more license enforcement ... just watch TV and pay per view.

Like the internet was meant to be, from the beginning.

Hoppie

cagarini

Yeah... guess that's what the fate is Jeroen :-/

I hate Progress :-(

martin

In a word, mainframe and dumb use terminals.

Hmmmm - where have I seen that before...?

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." Qoh.1,9

;)

United744

Well... my rig runs typically 10 hours per day, and several of those are running the GPU under typical gaming loads, and the best I have achieved is to double the electric bill vs. before when I lived alone, i.e., my non-gaming computer partner uses about as much electricity as I do and she doesn't even have a TV!

In other words... this power consumption junk is just more envcironmental rubbish with no actual basis in reality.

Sad to say, we are being slowly over-run by Communists, who have only one goal: destroy the modern way of life.

It's no surprise that the states where this is a problem are all run by liberal idiots.

garys

This isnt as big a deal as its its being made out to be. The numbers are for the PC in its sleep state and only efffects a few models of alienware computers. This isnt going to stop you from buying a high end computer from another vendor or building your own high end system with power supplies that already meet the requirements.